Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Most affordable stepless grinder
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Most affordable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
robsauce

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 12:57pm
Subject: Most affordable stepless grinder

TLDR; What is the most affordable step-less grinder that will grind fine enough for a Rancilio Silvia?

Story: I have a chance to buy a 5 year old Silvia for $200 which I think is a pretty good deal.  I currently have a Bodum bistro conical burr grinder which upon reading reviews will likely not grind fine enough. So, the plan would be to keep the bodum bistro for the occasional french press or drip coffee and use the new grinder for strictly espresso.  Is there something out there in the $200 price point, or cheaper that will do the trick?  

Anything else I should be considering?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: Most affordable stepless grinder

It's not a matter of grinding fine enough, but the correct grind quality for espresso. Plenty of cheap $50 grinders can choke machines out b/c they go "fine" enough, but they can't be used for espresso, and their more so choking b/c of lack of fines control. As far as stepless, the Baratza Preciso and Le'Lit PL43 and 53 are the only ones I know of near that price range. The Preciso is stepped but acts stepless b/c of the micro adjustment (same for the Vario). Your really looking more towards $300 bare minimum for an espresso grinder, even the Pharos hand grinder is about 260 I think.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 8:07pm

For stepless and $200, you are probably looking at used, just like your Silvia.  Coupled with a little luck too...

Finding a Silvia for $200 seems like a decent deal, with your bargain-hunting skills, I would say the world is your oyster on finding a really nice grinder for a good deal!

If you can pull the same 75% savings off new, suddenly you have many choices... it is hard to recommend items in the used market, because it all depends... I have read on sites like this where folks have stated they found used Super Jollys (that go for $650 or $1000 doserless new) in the $250 range, so anything is possible.  

Based on this, I would recommend a nice $200 used K10 Fresh, but not settling for anything less than the Pro Barista... :-)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 6:17am

First off grab that Silvia before someone else does. That's a good deal even for an older V1/2 model.  For the grinder you have a few options for grinders.

1. Used commercial like the K10 Fresh (Killer deal! if you can find one)
  2. Ascaso I mini stepless (goes for around $200)
  3. OE Lido Hand Grinder ($165)
  4. Modded Hario Skerton Hand grinder (Stepless/PFP mod) Total $80.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:01am

Burner0000 Said:

First off grab that Silvia before someone else does. That's a good deal even for an older V1/2 model.  For the grinder you have a few options for grinders.

Used commercial like the K10 Fresh (Killer deal! if you can find one)
Ascaso I mini stepless (goes for around $200)
OE Lido Hand Grinder ($165)
Modded Hario Skerton Hand grinder (Stepless/PFP mod) Total $80.

Posted January 9, 2014 link

Thanks for continuing the K10 Fresh punch line!  ;-)  If the OP can find one for $200, that definitely WOULD be a killer deal! LOL

Second, the LIDO is not a good full time Espresso grinder - it is the king for FP / drip / pour over as it was designed for that - and can make "passable" espresso grind in a pinch (to use Doug's term at OE).  But as a full time espresso grinder - I would say no way.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:50am

You're thinking about this wrong.  You DON'T want the cheapest, passable grinder; you D0 want the best grinder you can afford.

$200 is VERY tight for a motor-driven espresso grinder, even for used.  Although you'll find people who love theirs, they're clueless.  On the other hand, several of those grinders -- particularly the Baratza Virtuoso and Breville Smart -- make excellent brew (non-espresso) grinders.  

There used to be a lot of Super Jollys coming out of espresso shops -- especially when Starbucks got over them -- but, sadly, the day of the used, $250 SJ is long gone.   While you might get very lucky, figure about $350 for one which needs new burrs but is otherwise in good shape.  

If you do run across a good, used SJ, buy it even if the purchase means "Value Menu" for a week.  Unlike the Silvia, the longer you have it, the more you'll appreciate it.    

The least expensive, espresso-adequate, motor-driven grinders start -- new -- at around $300.  The Baratza Preciso (not the Virtuoso), is a good example of adequacy.  I forget when Baratza lists the refurbs -- it's either at the end or beginning of the month, but you might be able to find a refurbished Preciso for close to $200.  You'd be much better off with a Vario though, which run $350 for the refurb.  

Making very precise adjustments in grind is a BIG part of getting anything close to the best out of your beans -- so you want something which is either "stepless" or has steps which are so close together that machine allows that kind of precision at the fineness level which is espresso.  For example, a grinder which allows you to pull a single shot in 23 - 30 seconds, or a double in the same time range is thedefinitional minimum.  

That doesn't get into things like heat, crushing vs cutting, conical vs flat, the advantages of burr size, slow rotation, low grinds retention, etc., etc.  Crap espresso is an easy proposition.  Good espresso, not so much.  Some things you can solve with technique and workaround, but most need some money.  If you work hard at it, cheap espresso equipment will allow you to learn how to work with cheap espresso equipment.  You won't learn how to make good espresso.

There are nuances though.  You can get away with a "barely adequate" espresso machine better than with a "barely adequate" grinder.

The takeaway for you, as CMIN already pointed out (h/t) is that "fine enough" is not enough.    

The best deal in grinders -- if you're willing to hand grind -- is the Orphan Espresso Pharos.  Under $300.  

Not all Orphan Espresso grinders are the same.  + 1 -- heck, + a googleplex, to what Space Time said about the Lido.  You don't know it yet, but you want an espresso-only grinder.  Even if you get a nominally "all purpose" grinder, like a refurb Vario, save it for espresso and get something else as soon as you can for brew.  

Others will disagree, but I feel the same about small, inexpensive hand grinders, like Porlex, Skerton and Kyocera, as I do about the $200ish motor driven grinders.  That is, you can get them to grind espresso, but -- no matter how you mod them or how well you perfect your technique -- you'll never get them to grind good espresso without a lot of luck.  

When you find some specific grinders at specific prices, come back here and run them by the group.  It's impossible to do a complete rundown of what you should and shouldn't be looking for.  

Speaking of shouldn't... No to Rocky.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:59am

^^^^ +1
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 9:30am

If you can find a 'trespade' burr conical grinder with stepless adjustment knob(Like the PL53), that will make an excellent entry level espresso grinder. Far more consistent, reliable, and precise than a Preciso.
robsauce

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 12:37pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially boar_d_laze

I figured $200 might be a bit shy to get what I really want.  I hope to get the silvia tonight and will test it out a few times with my current grinder and will probably wait a bit until I can spend a bit more to get something that will suit my needs.  That said, Baratza Preciso refurb's are available on their site for $240.  Seems like a good deal that I may explore later on...
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 12:52pm

Your gonna want a grinder, the bistro isn't near capable for espresso, you'll end up with nasty spraying gushing shots that will taste pretty bad lol. Yeh I think the Preciso refurb is like 240 + shipping. Honestly if you can up your budget for a refurb Vario that will be even better, that little price difference get's you a far better espresso grinder (54mm flat burrs), big difference in taste in the cup and with espresso it's all about the grinder. A silvia with a Vario (or even Preciso) will outperform a $5k GS3 paired with a bistro ;)

Otherwise you could get one of the Harios and do the step-less mod while you save, but then that money could've been used towards a new grinder as well.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Most affordable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248217105865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+