Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New k10
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New k10  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
vesteroid

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 5:16pm
Subject: New k10

After reading the sites toy list I went on and upgraded my Mini e b to a k10.  I thought I would help the site and myself at the same time.

I just got the grinder and have run about a half pound of beans through it dialing it in and trying different doses in my machine.

Early yet, but the 3-4 shots that I actually got dialed in we're noticeably different over my mazzer.   Mouthfeel is the. Most  noticeable difference.   I have read about it, but had never experienced it.   The " thickness and creaminess" of the shots were completely different than with the mazzer.

Will report back after I use it a couple weeks, but can say so far I think the upgrade was noticeable
 View Profile Link to this post
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 8:46pm
Subject: Re: New k10

vesteroid, for a $1500 home grinder, it had better be one of the best espresso's you've ever tasted!!  If it wasn't, I would be boxing it up and sending it back!  YOMV.  Enjoy!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:56pm

While made very stoutly, the Mini is the bottom most Mazzer grinder, your new one is ...... a few levels above that. You SHOULD notice a difference !

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
vesteroid

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 8:45am

While I am sure many of you have a great deal more experience than I, the flavor changes are all new to me.   I started with a Silvia and never (in my opinion) pulled a shot that was "great". I had the mini at the time.

I moved up to a R58 and kept the mazzer and the shot quality improved many fold.  In fact, I don't think I ever pulled a "bad" shot.  Now with the k10 I think it's another measurable step up.

I have been a wine geek for some time, and had quite a bit of tasting experience.  I don't buy into half the tasting notes I read.  I think the average wine geek seeks to expand their use of vocabulary, rather than truly explore the wines.

My point in saying this is that I am critical of "better".  I however convinced these upgrades have yielded repeatable, noticeable  improvements for me.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 8:48am

PB or Fresh?  I've heard people I trust strongly push for each over the other.  The H-B mafia, including those few capable of forming their own opinions, like the PB by a large margin.  Nearly everyone else says, "Get the Fresh."  

What jumps out at you about the new grinder besides mouthfeel?  Are you enjoying the Compak's adjustment scheme?  The Mazzer pin annoys the hell out of me.  

Waiting for your "formal" review once you get the K-10 broken in.

Enjoy,
BDL
vesteroid

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 11:03am

It's a PB.

I don't see much difference in adjustment.  It's just an arm that moves a ring so to speak....just like my mazzer.

I am 3/4 of the way to fine in the k10. But was never near the label for espresso on the mazzer...was always finer.

Initial impressions besides mouthfeel are less clumping, fluffier grind, and more of the deeper darker favors.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 1:24pm

vesteroid Said:

Initial impressions besides mouthfeel are less clumping, fluffier grind...

Posted January 5, 2014 link

Should make distribution easier and better.  Better distribution may count for a large part of the extra body and silkier mouthfeel, and will certainly give you better consistency.

...and more of the deeper darker favors.

Really good news!  As I lean ever further towards buying a big conical to replace my hybrid, losing bottom notes is one of my last, few concerns.  I was hoping you'd say that.

You probably already know this, but "instant rice" is great for grinder break-in.  Maybe slightly better than coffee, and less expensive than even the cheapest beans as long as you buy generic instead of Uncle Ben's.  Make sure to buy "instant," as I'm told raw rice presents a lot of problems for most espresso grinders. And of course, after the rice you'll need to finish with a pound of beans to get the starch out of the grinder and doser.  

If you wanted to be envied, you've succeeded.

BDL
wsfarrell

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 11:04pm

vesteroid Said:

I have been a wine geek for some time, and had quite a bit of tasting experience.  I don't buy into half the tasting notes I read.  I think the average wine geek seeks to expand their use of vocabulary, rather than truly explore the wines.

Posted January 5, 2014 link

This is something I've long suspected, but which nobody seems to admit. Thank you for saying it.
JBSmoovee

Espresso: Strega
Grinder: HG-1, B-Vario
Vac Pot: Yep
Drip: Gold Filter
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:21am

You need to run at least 10 -20 lbs through it to break it in. 0.5 lbs isn't even close.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New k10  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270247936249)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+