Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 12:40pm
Subject: Re: Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.

Actually, I think the OP said regarding the Pharos:

Gallansio Said:

OE Pharos: No offense, but there's no way my wife is going to let me put that thing on my counter.  It looks like a shop tool. I'm sure it's a fine grinder, but it ain't going to happen. Ruling this one out too.

Posted January 2, 2014 link

So I was offering an alternative.

Regarding the LIDO 2 (not the Lido 1)
That being said the original Lido 1 is not recommended by OE for espresso, because of issues with espresso fine grind with the burrs on the original Lido 1.  Still many people claim it works great for espresso, people that really know espresso - not someone like me...

The Lido 2 now uses a different burr set.  Quite a bit more travel on the new conical burr path, especially in the final grind zone, in comparison to the Lido 1, and specifically designed to handle the fine grind of espresso much better than the original without causing issues on coarse grinds.

Here's a quote from Doug of OE (snagged from Click Here (www.home-barista.com))
"We spent the afternoon at Cafe Lulu here in Taichung City and ground for drip, Lulu sieved the batch (as she always does with her Ditting batch grinder), looked in the cup to see negligible fines, shrugged her shoulders and in typical fashion exclaimed "how about espresso"!! Took a bit of dialing in for her new Strada....we ground a dialed sample on her Robur and ground numerous 7 bean samples and finger evaluated until the Lido grind felt and finger stained the same, then Lulu worked her magic running different profiles until she got a consistent time pour....really gave everyone in the shop quite a Lido workout using her light roast beans. Same pour time and volume Robur and Lido and the Lido pours were sweeter....got her pretty bummed over the Robur :) . She did then a couple of Capps, same pour and great latte art with nutty taste trough the milk.....these are all quotes from Lulu."

So it does sound like the Lido 2, soon to be released to order, will handle espresso grinds much better than the original.  I surely wouldn't rule it out for a manual espresso grinder yet.  Of course once released we'll have more opinions.
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 6:24pm

DanoM Said:

That being said the original Lido 1 is not recommended by OE for espresso, because of issues with espresso fine grind with the burrs on the original Lido 1.  Still many people claim it works great for espresso, people that really know espresso - not someone like me...

The Lido 2 now uses a different burr set.  Quite a bit more travel on the new conical burr path, especially in the final grind zone, in comparison to the Lido 1, and specifically designed to handle the fine grind of espresso much better than the original without causing issues on coarse grinds.

"We spent the afternoon at Cafe Lulu here in Taichung City and ground for drip, Lulu sieved the batch (as she always does with her Ditting batch grinder), looked in the cup to see negligible fines, shrugged her shoulders and in typical fashion exclaimed "how about espresso"!! Took a bit of dialing in for her new Strada....we ground a dialed sample on her Robur and ground numerous 7 bean samples and finger evaluated until the Lido grind felt and finger stained the same, then Lulu worked her magic running different profiles until she got a consistent time pour....really gave everyone in the shop quite a Lido workout using her light roast beans. Same pour time and volume Robur and Lido and the Lido pours were sweeter....got her pretty bummed over the Robur :) . She did then a couple of Capps, same pour and great latte art with nutty taste trough the milk.....these are all quotes from Lulu."

So it does sound like the Lido 2, soon to be released to order, will handle espresso grinds much better than the original.  I surely wouldn't rule it out for a manual espresso grinder yet.  Of course once released we'll have more opinions.

Posted January 9, 2014 link

Anybody who is considering the LIDO2 for espresso should read / watch this first:  LIDO 2 Thread   In the thread , even the designer / manufacturer of the grinder - Orphan Espresso - states that although it CAN make espresso, the LIDO 2 (like the LIDO 1) is best suited and intended as a drip/press grinder.

I own the LIDO 1, and it is DEFINITELY a drip/press grinder - it is why I bought it and all I would recommend using it for.  it can make passable (in the words of the designer) espresso, but it is not intended, and I would never use it for a full time espresso grinder.  I tried it for espresso - no way I would ever think about it being a full time espresso grinder.  It does a great job at press pot though.

The LIDO 2 is a LIDO 1 with some design tweaks, but it is essentially the same class / type of grinder.  I have seen a few different threads now where folks are recommending the LIDO 2 for espresso, when it simply is not an espresso grinder.  I am not sure where the LIDO 2 / espresso correlation came from (definitely not OE) but just trying to give so more data for those considering the purchase.
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 7:51pm

OP here...

1. I want quick espresso. Manual grinders are out. All the cranking is too much for me.
  2. I'm still thinking the Preciso is a good choice.
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:06pm

You still here? Lol  
  1. Preciso - then buy it... what more do you need?
  2. Good to see you came to your senses with the Rocky.
  3. Just make sure you review the Precisio with the wife (pictures, videos) so she approves it on the counter.... ;-)
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:16pm

DanoM Said:

DanO - I already own two OE Grinders, and the new LIDO just does not bring enough new features to the table to warrant another one… it is the LIDO 1 with some tweaks.  Not worth spending twice for, however.

I like the LIDO 1 for Drip / Press – on the days where you don’t mind crank, crank, crank… crank LOL.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 7:44am

Gallansio Said:

OP here...

I want quick espresso. Manual grinders are out. All the cranking is too much for me.
I'm still thinking the Preciso is a good choice.

The "ticket" with the Preciso grinder is to find where you want to grind and leave the settings alone (with the exception of very minor changes to the micro settings and then only when the grinder is running).

Taking them apart and replacing the plastic grind adjustment ring is not difficult but if you avoid big swings in settings (espresso to press and back) you will not stress it and never need to tear it apart.  I believe most issues with the Baratza grinders are user initiated by not running the grinder when making grind adjustment settings.  The exception being the weak gearbox design of the pre 2012 machines but again, taking them apart and rebuilding/updating the gearbox is not difficult, I've done it to 2 grinders so far.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gallansio

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 8:49pm

I got a refurb Preciso right from the Bellevue, WA office.  I'm very pleased with it. It's overkill for my machine, but that's exactly what I wanted...something to grow into.

Thanks everyone for helping out.
Gallansio

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 9:20pm

It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still really happy with the preciso.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 7:24am

Gallansio Said:

It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still really happy with the preciso.

Posted January 29, 2014 link

Good to hear.  It is a nice, well made, home grinder.

I have been using my Preciso almost exclusively for the past two weeks (for pour over grinding) as I found I needed to order a rubber hopper gasket to modify for my Forte brew grinder.  Since I replaced the shut off hopper with the old style straight sided hopper grounds are "bouncing" into the grinder on the outside of the burr carrier so the Forte is just sitting.  Hopefully the gasket will solve this issue as I don't want to go back to the shut off hopper (but this should be a thread on its own I suppose)

I've had my Preciso a little over a year now, attached to a Esatto weigh base, and I can say I have never been disappointed with the performance of both units (grinder and scale base).

One of these days I will have to see how it does fine grinding for espresso so that I can make first hand comments....  Maybe....  Maybe not  :)

moosepucky: bg_pc_01-01-2014.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hzad

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 12:18pm

Good call! :D
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324498176575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+