Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 2:16pm
Subject: Re: Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.

moosepucky Said:

Do you still use the pressure basket?

Posted January 3, 2014 link

Yes. But I want to go unpressurized.  I removed all the parts that make it pressurized, but didn't get great results, probably because the grind.
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 2:52pm

Gallansio Said:

What do you guys think about a used Rancilio Rocky. Will that be better than a Preciso?

I have no personal experience with the Rancilio grinders, only the Preciso (Maestro plus, Vario-W, and Forte).

Gallansio Said:

Do you still use the pressure basket?

Yes. But I want to go unpressurized.  I removed all the parts that make it pressurized, but didn't get great results, probably because the grind.

with all of the pressure assistance/enhancement parts remove from the portafilter it "should" behave like any normal single boiler dual purpose machine and grind (and to a lesser degree tamp pressure) will become critical to getting a good shot at this point.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 3:02pm

My gut tells me that the Barista machine was never intended to be used unpressurized and therefor I won't ever be able to get a decent shot without all the pressurized components.  Something to do with not having enough power or whatever.  That's my gut, I could be wrong.  Am I?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 3:50pm

Gallansio Said:

My gut tells me that the Barista machine was never intended to be used unpressurized and therefor I won't ever be able to get a decent shot without all the pressurized components.  Something to do with not having enough power or whatever.  That's my gut, I could be wrong.  Am I?

Barista can be used unpressurized as long as you have an espresso capable grinder

Looks like you haven't gotten an grinder yet unless I missed it? You mention wanting to go from Aeropress to Espresso switching grinds, there's really no grinder that can do that, either reliably or at all (most of the stepless commercial type grinders will give you a fit trying to do this and dial in). The Preciso and Vario technically "can", however not recommended as it will place extra wear and tear on the plastic and in the case of the Preciso you'll pry be busting adjustment rings, and the extra wear will displace your "settings" you previously used if you tried going back especially for espresso. Grinders are best off used for a single purpose. You'd have to do something like the Preciso only for espresso, and get an Skerton etc for Aeropress needs.

Not a fan of the Rocky even a modded one I used. However they can sometimes be found cheap, think some members have scored used deals on them for like $50 or less but that's rare. If you can pick one up cheap and mod it (stepless mod etc) you can do so, still stuck with it's quirks like retention etc. I single dose so love the Baratzas only tiny amount of retention.
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 8:07pm

Gallansio Said:

OE Pharos: No offense, but there's no way my wife is going to let me put that thing on my counter.  It looks like a shop tool. I'm sure it's a fine grinder, but it ain't going to happen. Ruling this one out too.

Posted January 2, 2014 link

Original post deleted by author.

Replaced with - yes I can see that, the Pharos is not an attractive creature, and there definitely was not much attention to detail during the design phase in the "looks" department.  It is ugly.
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 8:55pm

boar_d_laze Said:

astronomy

Posted January 2, 2014 link

Hey, we have something in common Boar!  LOL
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 9:49pm

Gallansio Said:

What do you guys think about a used Rancilio Rocky. Will that be better than a Preciso?

The others have been nice in their responses, but I am sure there are some that may want to say  "I think you going backwards and in the wrong direction".

The Preciso IMHO is not THAT much better than a Rocky, but a Rocky as a older, stepped grinder that might of been considered an acceptable choice for a home grinder years ago - today, I would say you could do much better for the money.

If you are headed into the 300's in $$, get a refurb'd Vario or even a new one!  You will thank yourself later...

PLUS the Vario is probably one grinder that passes your "wife wants it to look good on the counter" filter.
Bleu405
Bleu405
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cara Lever, Starbucks...
Grinder: Le Lit PL 53
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 1:10pm

Gallansio Said:

I have an older starbucks barista, and I pulled all of the guts out of the portafilter, it has been doing a fine job for what it is.  I bought this machine to get back in the espresso game after taking a few year break, and didn't have the cash to invest big in a setup.  I paired it with the LeLit PL53 and it gave me great, repeatable results.  Over the last few weeks I have used it with a bunch of other grinders, including a Rancilio Rocky doserless, and it has done great too.  Personally, I don't make pourover or French Press that often, so when I do, I use a vintage zassenhaus and it does the trick.  

I haven't used the Baratza gear, but it sounds like the Vario or Preciso would do a great job for what you need it to do, and you could always sell it if you felt like upgrading down the road.  Did you check Baratza's site? They have refurbs for a good deal usually.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 5:30pm

I have a Baratza Vario that I really like, but it's out of your stated price range.  Would work well for your setup though.  I don't know the Preciso, so can't comment on that.

As far as recommendations go, if you can wait a while longer I think that Orphan Espresso, OE, will be officially introducing the Lido 2 manual grinder.  It's quite a bit slimmer than the Pharos, looks like it will be easier to use too.  So far they are projecting a price of $175 I read, so it would be within your budget.  They've put alot of work into getting this grinder to work well and are currently overseeing the production of the first units in Taiwan to make sure they meet the exacting needs and specs.  They should have it listed on their website when it's ready to sell.

As far as the espresso machine goes you'll be able to make espresso without the pressurized PF.  Some people develop processes that work quite well for that machine, so hopefully everything works out well for you.  The grinder will work for this as well as much better espresso machines, at least that's what the current hype sounds like.
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 9:05am

DanoM Said:

As far as recommendations go, if you can wait a while longer I think that Orphan Espresso, OE, will be officially introducing the Lido 2 manual grinder.  It's quite a bit slimmer than the Pharos, looks like it will be easier to use too.

Posted January 7, 2014 link

Just so this does not drift into the archives with a questionable recommendation, read by someone new at a later date - the LIDO is NOT a good choice for an espresso grinder.  It is excellent for FP / drip / pour over - it was designed to give the most consistent coarse grind possible - and it does a great job at that.

OE's grinder offering for espresso is the Pharos - and that has already been mentioned - but NOT the LIDO for full time espresso.  Maybe once or twice if you were in a pinch, but with the smallish 38mm burrs, it just will not do the job as an espresso grinder.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356699943542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+