Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:02pm
Subject: Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.

I have a Starbucks Barista machine and a $20 blade grinder.

I'm comfortable spending around $200 for a new grinder.

Seattle Coffee Gear recommends the Baratza Preciso. I know I can get a refurb for $239.

Some of you guys don't recommend Baratza - but I'm not sure if there is anything comparable to the Precsio in the $200 range.

I will eventually upgrade to a different/better espresso machine so I don't want to limit myself too much. i.e. Encore.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:06pm
Subject: Re: Time to get a new grinder. Looking for something around $200.

I just received it today so it is too early to recommend but you might want to keep an eye on Woot.  They often list factory reconditioned Breville Smart Grinders.  They usually retail new for $200 but I got the reconditioned one for $110 + $5 shipping.
rebthor

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:21pm

I have a Breville Smart Grinder and it's OK, better than a blade grinder for certain but you are never going to get a consistent great shot out of it.  Mine was relegated to french press duty as soon as I picked up a Rocky Rancilio as part of a combo deal on Craigslist.
StanleySpadowski

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Kyocera CM-50
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 4:56pm

I think you'd do very well with a stepless Hario Skerton for under $40.  Set aside the remaining $160 and use it toward a better grinder and/or machine sometime in the future.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:28pm

Deleted by author

Cheers.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:46pm

At its new, retail price of ~$300, the Preciso is -- as far as I know -- the least expensive, motor driven grinder which is adequate (not good, adequate) for espresso use.  

For slightly less money, if you're willing to co-exist with the inconvenience that is hand grinding a hand-held grinder, the OE Pharos is frikkin' superb; competing with high-value motorized grinders like the Fiorenzato Doge Conico and Quamar T48 which cost over $800.  

The Breville Smart doesn't offer enough adjustment at espresso fineness levels to be adequate for espresso.  Same too for the Baratza Virtuoso.  Both grinders are good for non-espresso though; and if you have one I suggest keeping it for "brew," rather than selling it off.  

The Hario Skerton without the stepless mod isn't up to the task.  With it, it's okay, but very inconsistent as a result of wobble.  I think it's fair to say the same thing about any unmodified hand grinder less expensive than the Pharos or OE's other hand grinder, the Lido (better for brew than espresso).  Single bearings and tiny burrs don't cut it; but if you must... The Skerton and Porlex are the two best.      

Used and Refurb -- case by case.  If you're specifically asking about the Preciso refurb -- it's good enough to get you started, gets Baratza's excellent support in case there's anything wrong with it, and it's less expensive than retail.  Does that make it a great grinder?  No.  A good deal?  It's a great deal if you want a new Preciso.  Otherwise, it depends on what you do want.  

No matter how good a grinder you buy, the quality of your espresso will be limited by your machine.  That said, even with barely adequate equipment, using good beans you can beat the hell out of Starbucks, and most other coffee shops too.  Unfortunately, they set a low hurdle.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:59pm

Gallansio Said:

I have a Starbucks Barista machine and a $20 blade grinder.

I'm comfortable spending around $200 for a new grinder.

Seattle Coffee Gear recommends the Baratza Preciso. I know I can get a refurb for $239.

Some of you guys don't recommend Baratza - but I'm not sure if there is anything comparable to the Precsio in the $200 range.

I will eventually upgrade to a different/better espresso machine so I don't want to limit myself too much. i.e. Encore.

Thoughts?

Posted January 2, 2014 link

Although I have never used my Preciso to grind espresso I am sure that it would be capable of doing a decent job (not perfect, but decent).

If you can stretch to a Vario (referb) you would be better off doing this or waiting until you had another $100 to put into a Vario model.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
StanleySpadowski

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Kyocera CM-50
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 6:06pm

boar_d_laze Said:

The Hario Skerton, even with the "stepless" mod is too inconsistent for espresso.  I think it's fair to say the same thing about any unmodified hand grinder less expensive than the Pharos or OE's other hand grinder, the Lido.

I wouldn't say that the Skerton grinds too inconsistently for espresso.  Maybe it doesn't do a perfect job, but he's currently using a blade grinder -- the Skerton will make a huge difference for a very small price.  If he's willing to go up to $250, then I agree with the Pharos/Lido recommendation (I've never used them, but I've been researching the heck out of 'em for quite a while).
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 6:07pm

boar_d_laze Said:

For slightly less money, if you're willing to put with the inconvenience of hand grinding, the OE Pharos is frikkin' superb; competing with high-value motorized grinders like the Fiorenzato Doge Conico and Quamar T48 which cost over $800.  

BDL

So the knock on hand grinding is inconvenience... ?  It has to have a plug and use electricity to be convenient?  With all the doser-dancing, chute-brushing, 3-4 second ground retention rituals with most electric grinders, I am not sure there is any convenience factor over some of the better manual grinders out there.  If we are going for "convenience", require electricity, and you are pushing him to $300 and want quality, I would say go $350 and get a refurb'd Vario.

Cheers Boar.
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 6:08pm

StanleySpadowski Said:

I wouldn't say that the Skerton grinds too inconsistently for espresso.  Maybe it doesn't do a perfect job, but he's currently using a blade grinder -- the Skerton will make a huge difference for a very small price.  If he's willing to go up to $250, then I agree with the Pharos/Lido recommendation (I've never used them, but I've been researching the heck out of 'em for quite a while).

A+ on your research assignment!  :-)
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Time to get a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284226894379)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+