Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mini Mazzer with Auber J72BX Timer For Grinder
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mini Mazzer with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Maotoying
Maotoying
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Dream
Grinder: Mini Mazzer (man)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:05am
Subject: Mini Mazzer with Auber J72BX Timer For Grinder

About time I gave some attention to my grinder. It is a Mini Mazzer with on/off switch. I bought it new, dates from about 12 years ago.

When my La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi 1 was at Chris Coffee for calibration and servicing, of course I browsed his web page and came across the La Spaziale Dream. I was satisfied with the S1 V1. Wife saw me spending a lot of time reading about the Dream and said "buy it." What was I to do? So I bought the Dream and sold the trusty Vivaldi 1.

Both the V1 and Dream are excellent machines. I expect the Dream has more tweaking potential than I will take advantage. The big advantage I see with switching to the Dream is the feedback received from the Dream's interface. The interface demanded that I pay attention to the time of "pull", and the bottomless portafilter provided further feedback on my style that needed to change. The calibrating of me by the machine could have been done without the big net outlay of cash. But, frankly knowing me, change in my "style" would not have happened without the "Dream." So, very glad I did.

The feedback I received from the Dream turned my attention to the grinder. In the era I bought my Mini Mazzer there was not the array from which to choose as there is today. The next step:

1. Should I sell the Mini Mazzer and purchase a gleaming new grinder with LCD display to match the Dream's display? New would get me a built in timer, weight scale, and "digital - like" grind increments. Was the infinite "analogue - like" grind calibration of the collar of the Mini Mazzer a technological relic of the last century? Or ...

2. Should I stay with the Mini Mazzer, and perhaps perform some modest DIY updating of that machine?

I have made my decision. My decision was highly influenced by discussion in this forum. Today I placed my order for an Auberins.com J72BX Timer for the Mini Mazzer grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
Maotoying
Maotoying

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:44am
Subject: Re: Mini Mazzer with Auber J72BX Timer For Grinder

Moosepucky's quote below from another thread was the catalyst for my searching out more info on transforming my 20th century Mini Mazzer into a 21st century partner to the Dream.

moosepucky Said:

That's an Auber instruments grinder timer.  The Super Jolly is plugged into that and it doses based on time.  there are 2 programmable routines (single or double dose) and a constant on.  It is a 1/100 second grinder timer.  This basically turned my SJ into a Vario as far as how it functions now

I don't think I will get too much heat for posting a url to home-barista where I talk about the SJ manual to electronic change over I did recently.  

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted November 7, 2013 link

Click Here (www.auberins.com)
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 12:27pm

Maotoying Said:

Moosepucky's quote below from another thread was the catalyst for my searching out more info on transforming my 20th century Mini Mazzer into a 21st century partner to the Dream.

Posted December 30, 2013 link

Did you also switch out the stock doser for bean chute/funnel like I did?

Almost 2 months into my SJ mods and I am still amazed at how well the timer/hopper mod is working out for me.

Let us know how it works out for you once you have some time with it under your belt.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Maotoying
Maotoying

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 3:29pm

moosepucky Said:

Did you also switch out the stock doser for bean chute/funnel like I did?

Almost 2 months into my SJ mods and I am still amazed at how well the timer/hopper mod is working out for me.

Let us know how it works out for you once you have some time with it under your belt.

I researched the funnel chute to replace my coffee can clicker. I am the only coffee drinker in my household so the ability to grind and store in the can does not work for me. I am however familiar with the thwack thwack thwack of my Mini Mazzer. Not sure what mornings would be without that.

The well known Mini Mazzer  mess comes from

1. Misjudging when to switch off the espresso machine for single or double shots, so grinding too much. I have become good at minimizing waste; the Auberge should reduce it even further.

2. The tendency for the Mini Mazzer to throw the grounds to the left and not straight down. Seems there should be a simple and very inexpensive fix from the Home Depot parts bin for that. Got my thinking cap on and eyes wide open. Suggestions welcomed. The funnel chute is an effective and beautiful solution; but, I am not ready to spend $180 yet on that solution.

The Auber switch is expected to arrive in three days.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 8:11pm

Maotoying Said:

The tendency for the Mini Mazzer to throw the grounds to the left and not straight down. Seems there should be a simple and very inexpensive fix from the Home Depot parts bin for that. Got my thinking cap on and eyes wide open. Suggestions welcomed. The funnel chute is an effective and beautiful solution; but, I am not ready to spend $180 yet on that solution.

I did see this doser mod from espresso parts and gave it some serious consideration before going to the funnel.
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 8:17pm

I think the timer is a great choice- I posted my mod a while back where I bought a darkroom timer and plugged the grinder into it.  I can dial in the time for as many shots as I'm pulling and not have much waste.  I kept the doser, I've heard  doserless can have clumping issues.  Had I seen the auber timer first I may have bought that, but got the darkroom timer on craigslist new for $20.

Jon
Maotoying
Maotoying

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 5:57am

Woody Said:

I think the timer is a great choice- I posted my mod a while back where I bought a darkroom timer and plugged the grinder into it.  I can dial in the time for as many shots as I'm pulling and not have much waste.  I kept the doser, I've heard  doserless can have clumping issues.  Had I seen the auber timer first I may have bought that, but got the darkroom timer on craigslist new for $20.
Jon

Thought about the darkroom timer approach, and appreciated the adapt and reuse sustainableness. Nevertheless, I decided that the purpose-built all digital with three buttons of the Auberge was the right solution for me.

There are two prior art published fixes to the Mazzer's messy throw that I have come across
  1. Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
  2. Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 8:05am

Woody Said:

Jon

I tried a Gralab 451 timer and it worked just fine. The only difference between the Auber and Gralab was in the footprint (how much room each took up), the ease of operation (Auber has 2 presets and manual, Gralab is a repeatable single program), and the overall esthetics (how each looked on the counter).

Overall function/performance was the same between the two timers.
Maotoying
Maotoying

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 10:38am

moosepucky Said:

I tried a Gralab 451 timer and it worked just fine. The only difference between the Auber and Gralab was in the footprint (how much room each took up), the ease of operation (Auber has 2 presets and manual, Gralab is a repeatable single program), and the overall esthetics (how each looked on the counter).
Overall function/performance was the same between the two timers.

Posted December 31, 2013 link

I considered the Gralab 451. New, prices range from $164 to $305. Resale, $65 on eBay (stained, knocked about) to over $100. I concluded that the lowest risk, highest value, does the job timer, was the Auberge J72BX. And cosmetics are important. Criteria for a darkroom with stained and knocked about industrial equipment are different than a kitchen / family room gathering place.

It comes to mind that I should have the Mini Mazzer and Auber J72BX painted to match, like the at EspressoParts
Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)
Huzza !!! :)

Maotoying: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Maotoying
Maotoying

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 1:08pm

Maotoying Said:

It comes to mind that I should have the Mini Mazzer and Auber J72BX painted to match, like the at EspressoParts
Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)
Huzza !!!
:)

Posted December 31, 2013 link

Searching for painted or powder coated grinders, I come up with almost nothing. Any one can recommend me to a thread or site on this topic?

Powder coating requires 400 degrees F. So I expect the entire frame of the Mazzer would need to be degutted. How to do that? Or, if too much bother, simply rattle-can the body; any examples?

Thanks ..
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mini Mazzer with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424434185028)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+