Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Advice for my first grinder
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advice for my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CoffeeAdrenal

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:07am
Subject: Advice for my first grinder

I own a Rancilio Sylvia (~8 years old) and for the most part buy supermarket ground coffee.

I want to buy a grinder and would appreciate some advice.

I drink cappuccino once a day, so I probably need a grinder which leaves little in the system to give me a fresh grind each day.

I have a flexible budget and am considering spending 300 - 400.

I'm looking at the Baratza Preciso.

Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Javadawg

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks/Saeco Barista
Grinder: Starbucks Burr
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:25am
Subject: Re: Advice for my first grinder

I know someone with more experience and expertise will come along, but I think within your budget you should be able to afford a Baratza Vario which is unanimously considered a more capable espresso grinder than the Preciso. You should see a large improvement in the cup with your own grinder and freshly roasted beans compared to the supermarket coffee you have been using.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:31am

Baratza Preciso is a good bet but for optimal espresso I would also look at getting a stepless grinder.  I only say this because I own a Silvia as well and even with a stepped commercial espresso only grinder I got 100 times better results once I went stepless.   Here is a macap MC4 stepless, doserless grinder.  The M4 series grinders are built for light commercial use. 320.

This model is my next buy. Click :)  I currently own an MX model

None the less I strongly recommend going stepless for truly good espresso.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 12:34pm

The Baratza Preciso is no slouch as an entry level espresso grinder.  But Baratza's Vario is a much better grinder.  I know you can find it in the UK as the "Mahlkonig Baratza Vario" for 479GBP.  Because they're (cough) "only" $450USD here, I expect you can find it at a better price than Bella Barista's.  

Compared to the Preciso, the Vario is easier to "dial in," produces "fluffier" grinds,  does better separation of flavors, does high notes (fruits and florals) better, and does low notes (chocolate and nuts), much better.  I can't think of anything the Preciso does better.  The difference in quality makes the Vario well worth the price difference.

Neither grinder is perfect, especially in terms of build quality.  

The Quamar/Fiorenzato M80 is as good an espresso grinder in terms of grinding as the Vario, possibly better; it's much better built; but lacks the friendliness of the Vario's built-in timer.    Quamars are popular in the UK which means competitive pricing.  You can get the dosered version of the M80 for under 400GBP.  

As long as we're talking about Quamar, if I were busting a 400GBP grinder budget in the UK, I'd go for their 500GBP M1.  Much better than the Vario.  The 600GBP T48 is better still.  

The Vario and Preciso are "electronic, on demand" grinders.  That is, they have built in timers which measure the output to fair accuracy.  If you buy a "dosered" grinder like the M80 or M1, but not an on-demand grinder like the M80e or M1e, you'll either have to "single dose" (which means weighing each dose individually before grinding), or plug the doser in through an external, "switching timer."  Since photography's gone entirely digital, timers accurate to 0.1sec are easy to find used and in good condition. Reasonably priced or not, they still cost money.  

If you're going to stretch your budget, pound of pound, money spent on the grinder is the best investment.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 12:52pm

if you're not averse to going used...eBay UK has some of the greatest looking/condition grinders at or below your price range.

right now there are two super jollys for a buy it now price between 280-350 pounds...don't use the hopper/doser, do a puff and brush and not much is left behind...

i've seen many nice grinders pop up so often  i wish i was in the uk :)

the macap mc4 would be my pick for basic entry new grinder...but i would jump directly to a small 64mm burr sized grinder and stop there...the quarmar m80 i've been eyeing but i can never find it used...
Bohun

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: La cimbali junior
Roaster: Boehmer 1600
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 12:03pm

Cimbali CIMBALI JR. GRINDER  is fantastic.  It is built like a tank, give you wide range of adjustment settings.  Easy to clean and maintain.  It is also fairly short and can fit under cabinets (at least in Canada :) )
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advice for my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196912050247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+