Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help ! With a Compak K6
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help ! With a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Shawn12
Shawn12
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 7:45am
Subject: Help ! With a Compak K6

Hi Everyone! Merry Christmas !

I pick up a second hand K6 older model for next to nothing but it needs work and some parts are missing. A little project for me. If nothing else I will understand the internals of grinders better by the end of it.

I throughly cleaned most of it yesterday and I have 2 questions I need help with now.

If you click here.....

http://tinyurl.com/koozy6n

Part 18 is locked solid . The guy never and I mean never clean it. Any ideas on how to free it up. Need a food safe lubricant maybe?

Missing the pin on part 11. Can I use any screw that fits you think?

Missing part 4 and part of the hopper too but have found those online.

Want to change the burrs but can't re: my first problem.

Everything else works fine. Burrs grind without any issues just on one locked setting right now... again see first problem.

If I can solve this issue and order the few parts I will have a K6 for less than $200.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it as it won't fit on my counter and the wife is looking at me funny. Small hopper might get it under though.  

Thanks

Shawn
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 8:04am
Subject: Re: Help ! With a Compak K6

Actually, that is a pretty common issue with used commercial grinders. I have had several that were 100% frozen.
I use Goo Gone, it is a Citrus based cleaning product, it is thin and gets into tight places easily. The mess will get worse before it gets better though :D
As far as I know it is NOT listed as a food safe product but I have used it many times on grinders, yes grinders that I use myself and I feel it is safe esp when cleaned up after use with soap and water. If you have any doubt, do not use the product.
Need any more help, just ask :D
http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-3oz

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Shawn12
Shawn12

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 8:24am

Thank Wayne... Goo gone.. OK I trust you plus I already have 2 bottles in the house :-)

Any thoughts on that pin I mentioned.( and sorry the pin is part of #3 not #11) I have never owned a grinder like this before . What is the purpose of it?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 9:01am

If you are talking about the pin in the adjustment collar, it is there just for you to have something to hold on to for adjustment of the grinder that is easier than holding a large ring.

Anything that fits into the hole with the correct thread will work and it will work without the pin, it is just a little harder to make small changes to the ring without it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Shawn12
Shawn12

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 9:06am

calblacksmith Said:

If you are talking about the pin in the adjustment collar, it is there just for you to have something to hold on to for adjustment of the grinder that is easier than holding a large ring.

Anything that fits into the hole with the correct thread will work and it will work without the pin, it is just a little harder to make small changes to the ring without it.

Posted December 24, 2013 link

Thanks that's what I thought.
Shawn12
Shawn12

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 9:37am

Success on fixing the seized part and getting access to the burrs. All cleaned up and back together. The burrs look fine to me but to be honest I don't know what burrs look like that need to be replaced. Grind is consistent.

I have a new problem now though.

Machine won't grind really fine. As I move the setting towards what should work for espresso the machine gets much louder and even in that area grind is too coarse.

Burrs need replacing? I put something back in wrong ?

Any ideas?

Thx

Shawn
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help ! With a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23765206337)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+