Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grindmaster 875 recalibration
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindmaster 875...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 7:32pm
Subject: Re: Grindmaster 875 recalibration

Just to make sure we're all on the same page (so to speak), here's a link to the Grindmaster 875 Manual.  Take a look at pp. 4 and 5.

In sum, adjust the burrs (while they're moving) with the grind adjustment screw until they touch and make noise; back the screw off a skosh just until the burrs stop whining; and finally lock down the adjusting screw with the knob retainer screws.  

Note that it's important for the retainer screws to be set to even depth and pressure or the grind plate won't sit flat against the shear cover.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 5:07am

Those burrs are like the ones on my Curtis, not at all like the burrs in my Bunn G92HD or Bunn LPG or my NS MCD 65, those all haveground burrs but the bulk grinders we have are not designed for real fine grinding, rather they are good for drip etc, I ask again, what use are you trying to use it for? It is good though that the burrs are not as expensive as you first thought.

This will be used as a pour over bar single dose grinder/ bulk grinder if anyone wants a bag of beans ground.  For now at least just my personal monster non espresso grinder. :p

In sum, adjust the burrs (while they're moving) with the grind adjustment screw until they touch and make noise; back the screw off a skosh just until the burrs stop whining; and finally lock down the adjusting screw with the knob retainer screws.  

Note that it's important for the retainer screws to be set to even depth and pressure or the grind plate won't sit flat against the shear cover.  

BDL

Yup I have the manual as well downloaded from the GM site. I will check again hopefully tonight but I adjusted it as you stated and this is how I got to this conclusion.  I haven't been able to fiddle with it tho to see if the adjustment screw is moving with the knob. I got a feeling that's the culprit.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 8:34am

Burner0000 Said:

I haven't been able to fiddle with it tho to see if the adjustment screw is moving with the knob. I got a feeling that's the culprit.

Posted December 26, 2013 link

I'm (shall we say) sensitive to the problem since (cough) screwing it up when when swapping the Ditting in for the Bunn's stock burrs -- before even using the grinder.  

Took me a couple of days to figure out what was wrong with my new, beaucoup expensive grinder. "User error" (aka "I blew it") crops up so much it's gratifying when the problem actually IS the equipment.  But, of course, it wasn't.

BDL
Burner0000

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 8:31pm

So far I was able to confirm that the adjustment screw is moving with the knob when I adjust the grind settings. Going to upload some videos tomorrow..
Burner0000

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 8:23am

Here is a video I took of the adjustment knob is moving with the handle.

Click

After re calibrating a second time I was able to get finer grind which should work for drip but I am going to roast some more coffee and put it to the test, Here are some pictures f the grinds I got compared to my hario hand grinder. Just for kicks I ran the Turkish grounds through my Silvia and got a gusher 10 second shot but I got a bit of crema could be used for pressurized which is what I was going for.  Gonna try that on my friends EC155.  At this point the Turkish grind looks almost identical to what I use for pour over with my skerton. It's a start.

Here are the pictures of the grinds I got from the GM 875 compared to my skerton.
Click
Burner0000

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:57pm

Good news! I did a tear down and cleaning of the entire burr assembly. BDL you were right.  On top if the grinder being insanely dirty there must have been a miss alignment.  Here's the condition of the burrs after cleaning as well as the new grinds at the Turkish setting.  Much finer and more consistent!  

See here
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 5:17am

Congrats on getting it worked out! :D
I used to go to a s roaster/ coffee shop who had a bulk grinder like ours but don't remember who made it. They tried to use it for a backup espresso grinder, it did not work so well in that regard though it did grind fine. They are not in business anymore. They had bigger problems. They were always busy but when Starbucks moved in just down the block, they tried adjusting their roasting to the burnt side of things, they did not keep track of when the beans were roasted or the age when used.

I guess what I am saying is that even when working properly, they are really aimed at the drip market and the consumer, not geeks and what we expect from a grinder. They are pretty stoutly built though and can chew through the most stale of beans without a wimper LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
boar_d_laze

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 8:04am

So glad it worked for you.  

BDL
Burner0000

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 8:10am

calblacksmith Said:

Congrats on getting it worked out! :D
I used to go to a s roaster/ coffee shop who had a bulk grinder like ours but don't remember who made it. They tried to use it for a backup espresso grinder, it did not work so well in that regard though it did grind fine. They are not in business anymore. They had bigger problems. They were always busy but when Starbucks moved in just down the block, they tried adjusting their roasting to the burnt side of things, they did not keep track of when the beans were roasted or the age when used.

I guess what I am saying is that even when working properly, they are really aimed at the drip market and the consumer, not geeks and what we expect from a grinder. They are pretty stoutly built though and can chew through the most stale of beans without a wimper LOL!

Posted December 29, 2013 link

Thanks! I now remember that the seller I bought this grinder from didn't know much about it.  After looking at the grinds I posted it was clear there was a misalignment. Not to mention a ton of 10yr old coffee grinds in every area of the machine.  I had to chisel some of the packed grounds out of the machine which is sickening..

I would never think of using this grinder for espresso.  At best if i got good results using pressurized at the espresso or Turkish grind.  First priority for this grinder is pour over and bulk grinding of press, drip and fine drip.  I would never use this as a backup espresso grinder. I have a second "decaf" commercial espresso grinder for a backup.  Once I launch the cafe I will be buying doubles/upgrades in case a machine goes down.  

I could see how those mistakes would hurt a business.  

Thanks Wayne & Rich for all your help! :)
Burner0000

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 9:30am

Now I would like to see if I can build a funnel for easier dosing.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindmaster 875...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267233133316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+