Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Super Jolly too much for me?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Super Jolly too...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ikotka

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano (1st ed.),...
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: Super Jolly too much for me?

I've got an original Quickmill Vetrano, using it on and off for several years with an obviously subpar Gaggia MDF. I haven't used the espresso machine for quite awhile now because the grinder is just awful and so have switched to pour over, using beans bought and ground locally 2x a week. I've been trolling craigslist for a bit now and finally got the go-ahead from my Hubs to splurge on a grinder.
Found a Mazzer SJ for $300 (which i know is like 1/2 the retail), but I'm curious is it too much for a home barista (height isn't an issue) or a good match for my machine? And last, is that a good used price? I'm operating under the fact that'd I'd need to replace the burrs.

This is the info I got from the seller in reply to some preliminary questions I asked:
The condition:  Very good
How old is it: bought in October 2006 and we closed our shop in June 2012.  Been in storage since then.
Have the burrs ever been replaced? Once
What was use like? Medium to light.  Our shop never did get going given the economy. We did run about 1/4 of white rice through the grinders for cleaning every night.

Might need to use some vaccuming and grindz to clean any starch or whatnot from the rice grinding, or not cuz I'd replace the burrs....Never had a good grinder so I'll have to research.

One side question: I've heard/read that using the SJ for other brew methods isn't great (espresso->pour over) because it's a pain. I suppose I'll drink mostly americanos & capps if I get the SJ, but right now I do a lot of pour over (chem and single cup). Would I eventually need to grab a different grinder for that, like a Baratza?
 View Profile Link to this post
Doolittlej

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 6:12pm
Subject: Re: Super Jolly too much for me?

Updating the grinder is the number one improvement most people can make.  You will never be sad that you did it.  $300 is a fair price.  If you really want the ability to switch between pour over and espresso the baratza vario is your only easy grinder option, and you will rarely find those used.   I wouldn't dream of using the SJ for dual purpose because it would be a pain and a waste of beans to dial it in after making a change.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 6:56am

That is a fair price on a low time grinder, no it is not too much, as above, the grinder is very important to the process.

SJs are built like tanks, replace the burrs and you should be fine for a long, long time.

Check my mod, the CBSJ mod for the doser to make it sweep cleanly.

Enjoy!! :D

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/562237

The SJ should be used as an espresso only grinder. That is what it was designed for and what it excels at. For now, use the MDF as an "other" grinder. Espresso requires a different kind of grind than other methods use, it is more technical, a bi or tri modal grind but very consistent grind. To that, it takes a little effort to dial in your grind for your  shots and a small change makes a big difference on an espresso grinder, it would be a real PAIN to change back and forth on SJ, something you would soon abandon even if I told you that it was just fine to use SJ for both  :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:16pm

ikotka Said:

Found a Mazzer SJ for $300 (which i know is like 1/2 the retail), but I'm curious is it too much for a home barista (height isn't an issue) or a good match for my machine?

Posted December 19, 2013 link

Definitely not "too much" for a home barista in general.  SJ is commonly recommended and used as a basis for comparison.  It's your call whether it's too much for you or not.
ikotka

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano (1st ed.),...
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 5:22pm

The price is fine. I woulda preferred a little less (who wouldn't?) but only because I'd gotten the Quickmill on the super cheap in superb condition. Either way, I have to drive 2 hours to get the SJ, but I think I'm gonna take the plunge. Other options more locally are San Marco 90 for $300, but I haven't heard/read anything about that one. I think by asking if the SJ is too much of a machine for a home barista (granted, a silly question), I'm more likely a little intimidated by such a massive grinder. But I think 4 years is too long for my machine to go without a quality grinder. I owe it to the Vetrano. <3
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 5:57pm

No, it is not too much grinder if you expect to use it regularly.

I've had mine for about half a year now and I am glad that I stepped up and got one right off.

Mine was also low usage (belonged to a church and was used sparingly for their meetings and get togethers).

If you are still planning on drinking pour over and drip, you should consider getting a second grinder.

It takes a little while to dial in an espresso grinder so you don't want to make major adjustment settings as you may burn through 10+ cups of espresso before you get it back to where it should be.  In a home environment this would equate to way too many days of bad espresso to handle IMHO.

I currently have 1 espresso grinder (Super Jolly) and 2 pour over grinders (Baratza Forte BG and Preciso/esatto).   This seems to be "the ticket" for the way I drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Super Jolly too...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232395887375)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+