Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder (Vario) adjustment - espresso to drip and vice-versa
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder (Vario)...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jtferraro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:26pm
Subject: Grinder (Vario) adjustment - espresso to drip and vice-versa

I have a Vario and recently purchased a Bonavita drip machine.  Every 2-3 days I typically switch between espresso & drip, so find myself making macro adjustments on the Vario (between 2 & 6).  While I know I'm not supposed to make adjustments if the machine isn't running/grinding, but is it OK to make adjustments while the machine is running but not actually grinding?  I grind on demand, so can I simply turn the grinder on, make my adjustment, turn it off, add the necessary amount of weighed beans, then turn it on again to grind?  That way I won't be wasting any beans or dealing with grinds that aren't as uniform in size as they should be.

Thanks,

-Jeff
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:55pm
Subject: Re: Grinder (Vario) adjustment - espresso to drip and vice-versa

When your adjusting a grinder -- any grinder -- you don't have to run the grinder to open the space between the burrs (going to a coarser grind).  You do have to run it when you're narrowing the gap in order to insure that no beans are caught between the burrs, fighting the closing action, and possibly causing misalignment or doing other damage.  

You should be aware that quite a few users (not all, though) report that the Vario will not return to espresso settings accurately, and that the grinder will require dialing-in every time it goes back to espresso from brew.  As I understand it, the problem gets worse with use and frequency as the mechanism develops increasing slop.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 7:14am

boar_d_laze Said:

When your adjusting a grinder -- any grinder -- you don't have to run the grinder to open the space between the burrs (going to a coarser grind).  You do have to run it when you're narrowing the gap in order to insure that no beans are caught between the burrs, fighting the closing action, and possibly causing misalignment or doing other damage.

Posted December 2, 2013 link

That's true for most grinders, but for the Vario, running it while even adjusting coarser is needed. Well, it may not be needed, but it results in a much more uniform adjustment. When I was using my Vario to switch between drip and espresso, I would run it and adjust without beans and it seemed to function just fine. I would just let it run for an extra 5-10 seconds after adjustment to make sure the burrs settle. When going finer back to espresso, I found it helpful to adjust "above" (finer) than my last setting and then move the switch down to my desired spot. Don't know if the downward movement helps the burrs settle quicker than the upward movement, but I had a much better experience switching settings by doing so.
jtferraro

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 7:19am

Thank you.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 7:32am

tglodjo Said:

That's true for most grinders, but for the Vario, running it while even adjusting coarser is needed. Well, it may not be needed, but it results in a much more uniform adjustment. When I was using my Vario to switch between drip and espresso, I would run it and adjust without beans and it seemed to function just fine. I would just let it run for an extra 5-10 seconds after adjustment to make sure the burrs settle. When going finer back to espresso, I found it helpful to adjust "above" (finer) than my last setting and then move the switch down to my desired spot. Don't know if the downward movement helps the burrs settle quicker than the upward movement, but I had a much better experience switching settings by doing so.

Posted December 3, 2013 link

+1  I do exactly this on my Vario.  
I weigh and dose my beans before they go into the hopper, so it's always empty.
Mornings first thing the Vario gets a 10+second spin to help clean out any stale grinds.
When dialing in a new grind, even minute changes, or reverting back to an old one I always have the burrs spinning and run a full 10 seconds after adjustment.  (Moving from finer to coarser for the final adjustment like the above poster is likely a good idea.)

Switching between La Pavoni lever grinds in the 5-Q range to the NS Oscar grinds of the 3-G range seems to always be right on for me.  Granted, my Vario has only had about 30-40 pounds of beans go through it so far, so machine wear is likely not an issue for me yet.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 4:08pm

jtferraro Said:

I grind on demand, so can I simply turn the grinder on, make my adjustment, turn it off, add the necessary amount of weighed beans, then turn it on again to grind?  That way I won't be wasting any beans or dealing with grinds that aren't as uniform in size as they should be.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Posted December 2, 2013 link

If there are NO beans in the grinder (in the burr set).  I do not see why you would need to run the grinder while adjusting.

the reason for running while adjusting is so that the beans that are already between the burrs can be moved while the burrs are reset but with no beans there is no resistance.

Maybe my thinking on this is wrong but then again ?1?!?!?!?!
jtferraro

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 7:29pm

>>Maybe my thinking on this is wrong but then again ?1?!?!?!?!<<

I hear you - makes sense to me, although there could be other reasons too.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 7:48am

moosepucky Said:

If there are NO beans in the grinder (in the burr set).  I do not see why you would need to run the grinder while adjusting.

the reason for running while adjusting is so that the beans that are already between the burrs can be moved while the burrs are reset but with no beans there is no resistance.

So you can guarantee me that 100% of the time you don't have a bean or two stuck in the chamber (slightly crushed or otherwise)? I've seen it numerous times, even with the VARIOs great lack of grind retention.
boar_d_laze

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 7:59am

moosepucky Said:

No, you're thinking is good.  The problem is that unless the grinder is thoroughly cleaned between uses, there will be something in the burrs.  Even if it's not much, it can cause damage.  

BDL
boar_d_laze

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 8:06am

brianl Said:

So you can guarantee me that 100% of the time you don't have a bean or two stuck in the chamber (slightly crushed or otherwise)? I've seen it numerous times, even with the VARIOs great lack of grind retention.

Posted December 4, 2013 link

Coffee beans release oils during the grinding process and this can cause bean fragments to stick in the burr crevices. The only way to make sure there's nothing in there is to run something very dry like Grindz or instant rice, or to remove the burrs and clean them.  Running the grinder helps, especially if you open and close the burrs to know stuff out -- but it's not certain.    

BDL
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder (Vario)...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331125974655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+