Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
thebeardedbarista

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: How to make Mazzer Mini doser-less?

Dan, has this funnel given you any problems with static or clumping? The only benefit I can think of to having a doser in a home setting is helping break up clumps or getting the grounds a little fluffier.
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 5:32pm

thebeardedbarista Said:

Dan, has this funnel given you any problems with static or clumping? The only benefit I can think of to having a doser in a home setting is helping break up clumps or getting the grounds a little fluffier.

Posted November 26, 2013 link

5 year old thread so I might as well pile on too :-0

I converted my SJ to doserless a couple of months ago and I can say it was one of the best customizations I have done to date.  

I do not notice any more clumping than I did with the can/arm doser.  I did put in a antistatic screen from a Major when I did the switch over which stopped grounds drop out after grinding and makes the dose rather consistent once dialed in for the beans in the hopper.

For a while I wondered if I would keep the SJ as I was using my Vario-W more often because the can doser on the Mazzer was just so messy (tossed grounds everywhere).  

Three months after converting the SJ to timed doserless I no longer have the Vario-W which says volumes.  The SJ is run by an Auber timer (on the left in the pic below).  This pic was taken a few weeks ago before I packed up the Vario-W.  My Forte BG arrived today.  The Mazzer is now my ONLY espresso grinder and both of the Baratza grinders are dedicated pour-over/drip/press grinders

moosepucky: grinders_11-01-2013.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 6:38am

Just as a counter point, I have a SJ that was converted to doserless with factory parts. It is no where near as nice to use as it was before the conversion, it makes a mess everywhere and the ability to grind while doing something else is gone.

Doser/less is a personal choice, it is not better or worse. Some people love the color blue, others do not, it is a personal choice. Converting the grinder is only a positive thing if you are inclined to go that way, it is not the next step in geekdom, it is a personal choice.

Some may feel that it is an improvement. that is wonderful and may they live long and have a great life. For me, I find the extra clumping in the basket, the grinds all over the place and the fact that it is mandatory that I stand at it while it is grinding is a PITA.

YMMV!!!!! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 8:34am

calblacksmith Said:

Just as a counter point, I have a SJ that was converted to doserless with factory parts. It is no where near as nice to use as it was before the conversion, it makes a mess everywhere and the ability to grind while doing something else is gone.

Doser/less is a personal choice, it is not better or worse. Some people love the color blue, others do not, it is a personal choice. Converting the grinder is only a positive thing if you are inclined to go that way, it is not the next step in geekdom, it is a personal choice.

Some may feel that it is an improvement. that is wonderful and may they live long and have a great life. For me, I find the extra clumping in the basket, the grinds all over the place and the fact that it is mandatory that I stand at it while it is grinding is a PITA.

YMMV!!!!! :D

Posted November 27, 2013 link

Absolutely.  What is someone's perfection can easily be another person's nightmare.

What works for me may not work for everyone (may not even work for anyone).  I can only provide my personal experience and as with anything that is prefaced with the word "personal" you should always consider that you may not feel the same way.

I saved my doser can and someday in the future may put it back on since all of the mods I did were "add ons" with no changes made to the actual grinder itself (remove something and replace with something else so everything is reversible in a few minutes time).

As with any customizations YMMV tops "personal opinions" :)

carabelli
carabelli

Espresso: PID'd '05 Rancilio Silvia w/...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus
Drip: inverted Aeropress w/ metal...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 11:02pm

moosepucky Said:

5 year old thread so I might as well pile on too :-0

I converted my SJ to doserless a couple of months ago and I can say it was one of the best customizations I have done to date.  

I do not notice any more clumping than I did with the can/arm doser.  I did put in a antistatic screen from a Major when I did the switch over which stopped grounds drop out after grinding and makes the dose rather consistent once dialed in for the beans in the hopper.

For a while I wondered if I would keep the SJ as I was using my Vario-W more often because the can doser on the Mazzer was just so messy (tossed grounds everywhere).  

Three months after converting the SJ to timed doserless I no longer have the Vario-W which says volumes.  The SJ is run by an Auber timer (on the left in the pic below).  This pic was taken a few weeks ago before I packed up the Vario-W.  My Forte BG arrived today.  The Mazzer is now my ONLY espresso grinder and both of the Baratza grinders are dedicated pour-over/drip/press grinders

Posted November 26, 2013 link

Moosepucky,

Looks really nice.  What's the process for adding the Auber timer?  I have a Mini Doser that I'd eventually like to convert to doserless with a timer.  Did you buy the doserless parts from espressoparts?

Thanks,

Mick
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:05am

carabelli Said:

Moosepucky,

Looks really nice.  What's the process for adding the Auber timer?  I have a Mini Doser that I'd eventually like to convert to doserless with a timer.  Did you buy the doserless parts from espressoparts?

Thanks,

Mick

Posted January 5, 2014 link

The Auber is just a plug in between the grinder and the AC outlet.

The timer turns on power to an outlet which the grinder plugs into.

They make 2 types. One for the older simple grinders (with an on off switch) and one for the newer style with the on/off/start switch.

My SJ is rather old and has no safety devices to worry about and it was an on/off switch type which worked out as an easy install (just plug everything together).

You can find info about both types of timers on the Auber site:

Standard grinder timer info

Automatic grinder timer info

If you are handy and don't mind cutting out a project box for everything you can make your own using any brand of timer and SSRs.  When I priced everything it was not that much to get one assembled from Auber. The parts to do it with a Delta timer and Delta SSR was more than an assembled Auber box.

I wanted to have them make mine with the lighted buttons but they were out of stock and the wait would have been 2-3 weeks so I went ahead and got the standard one (without the lighted buttons).

I bought the Mazzer parts from a number of places as some venders had lower pricing on some of the parts.  Just check pricing as it has been a while since I got everything and pricing may have changed.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 9:06am

Another direction that is similar is a digital dark room timer, plug it into the wall, plug the grinder into it, the timer controls the grinder.

I ran dual SJs that way for quite a while, one was a timer model the other was a converted automatic model all I had to do was either start the timer on the SJ then hit the digital timer or hold the auto switch to start on the grinder and start the timer.

If you like DIY projects, there is nothing wrong at all with assembling your own parts. Two different paths to the same end. :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 12:34pm

calblacksmith Said:

Another direction that is similar is a digital dark room timer, plug it into the wall, plug the grinder into it, the timer controls the grinder.

Posted January 6, 2014 link

I recently picked up a Gralab 450 on eBay for about $40.  The 450's and 451's can go for a bit more.  I think one of the beeps doesn't work on mine and that helped to keep the bids low.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How to make...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356153011322)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+