Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
What to replace my Jolly Burrs with?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What to replace...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
OilyEspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:49pm
Subject: What to replace my Jolly Burrs with?

What's a good replacement burr for mazzer Jolly, and who should I buy them from?

My current burr set seem to producing quite a bit of clumping and the grounds seem... almost sticky to the touch. I'm currently just fluffing them up and it seems to fix it right up, but what do you guys think?
 View Profile Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 11:22pm
Subject: Re: What to replace my Jolly Burrs with?

I don't think you'll get any better than genuine Mazzer replacements.
I suggest buying from Chris's Coffee. They have the best price (afaik) & very reasonable shipping to AK. If you order online, just leave a note in the online form & request USPS shipping instead of UPS.

I don't know that worn burrs will produce more clumps.
Which model SJ do you have (doser, or doserless "E" model)?
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:46am

Burrs should not have anything to do with clumpy or oily.

where are you getting your beans from?  Are they dark/oily?  Are they fresh roasted?

Do you have the antistatic screen still in your SJ or have you (or someone else) removed it?

Dry weather will get you more static/clumps.  Do you notice this all year or just in winter when it is dry?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
OilyEspresso

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 6:13am

The beans I'm using are actually espresso grade quality from two different local shops, but are a light dry bean and I use them up at work in a very dry enviroment. I don't seem to have nearly as much clumping there, and that's with a mazzer mini.

Someone may have removed the anti-static but I don't know how to check that (I bought it used from a shop that went out of business)

The weather humidity changes rapidly from time to time and I've only put a couple pounds of beans through the Jolly.

I'll have to order some grindz or a grinder-cleaner like product, any suggestions on that?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:12am

Hi, you never responded with which SJ do you have. I am going to guess that as it came from a shop, it is a timer model with doser as that is most common. In that case, look at where the grounds leave the grinder body  and enter the doser. Is this an open chute or is there something in the way, like an open grind screen?

Clumping? The doser helps to break them up and having one is in my opinion better than not having one but YMMV! If you have a doser, you might want to look into the CBSJ mod for getting the doser to sweep cleanly.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/562237

You could buy a product made specifically for grinders but the SJ is so easy to just remove the upper burr carrier and get to the grind chamber that I just advise people to do that rather than spend a lot of money on cleaning products that don't do as good of a job anyway. There may be a screw in the adjustment ring to prevent the upper carrier/adjustment ring from moving more than one turn. Simply remove the screw in the ring if you have one and unscrew the upper carrier off the grinder. It is under spring tension so it will pop up a little when you get it unscrewed but it is nothing to worry about. When reassembling, be very careful to not cross thread the carrier, they are quite expensive and if you damage the body of the grinder a... well it isn't pretty. A little care though is all you need as it is not hard to do. Just do not force things. If the ring is hard to turn or stops, then you stop and remove it and start again.

Once you get the upper carrier off, it is very easy to use a stiff brush to clean the burrs and the grind chamber.

If you have not done so and my take is that you have not, then your question on burr replacement is very timely as whenever you get a grinder used esp from a shop, you need to change the burrs. This is one thing that most shops do not do near often enough. Any quality parts vendor will have OEM burrs and those are the best replacement in my HO.

Environmental conditions have a lot to do with your grind and you may need to adjust more than some if your conditions change often.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:29am

OilyEspresso Said:

I'll have to order some grindz or a grinder-cleaner like product, any suggestions on that?

Posted November 25, 2013 link

Minute rice ground fine does a great job cleaning burrs. A small box lasts months for me. As posted above a stiff brush (nylon or brass works very well) I use nylon so I don't scratch or wear down the burrs.  IMHO Grindz is a waste of money. I don't think worn burrs are the culprit either. Usually clumping means the coffee is ground too fine where as dull burrs spit out course coffee.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 8:54am

Bear with me... there's a moral to the story.

My Max-Hybrid is a great grinder, but has two major flaws in design.  The first is that it catches and holds whole and partially ground beans in places which can't be reached without removing the hopper.  I should clean the Max every two weeks just to be sure.  When I forget, enough of an "off" taste will show up within a month to get me off my ADD behind, and clean it then.  In any case, it's a lot of cleaning for a residential grinder.  

The second flaw is what a PITA it is to clean.  It starts with removing the hopper, which must be emptied and unscrewed (can you believe it?) first.   With that off, I can collect the whole beans and big pieces from the deck, then use a pick to clean out the crevices and the collar.  Then, I can either keep going with the disassembly, remove the burrs completely, vacuum out the grinder, wash the burrs, and re-zero the adjustment collar when I reassemble -- or use a "cleaner" like rice or Grindz.

I'm lazy.  It's Grindz for me.

If you use rice, you MUST use INSTANT RICE.  You CANNOT use RAW RICE.  Raw rice will clog your grinder and be very difficult to remove.  Instant rice does a decent job of cleaning, but takes a lot to get the starch out of the grinder.  I'm not sure if you ever can, completely.  

Grindz costs more, cleans at least as well as instant rice (probably better), but is a lot easier to clear completely from the burrs and doser.  In order to get rid of the Grindz residue, I have to do a a lot of brushing (doser especially), a little vacuuming, re-season the grinder with about 20g of beans, and sink the first shot afterward.

Rice is more problematic.  It takes me a couple of days to clear the taste.  

Anyway.  I do a lot of cleaning and that's my experience.  

Meanwhile back at the OP...
Replace your SJ burrs with genuine SJ burrs.  If you want to see an amazing improvement in your coffee life, replace the Mini's burrs with SJ burrs as well (they simply drop in).  

BDL
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:05am

Weird never had that problem with instant rice, used Grindz as well, but instant is cheaper, works same if not better and thought it was easier to clean. After cleaning and putting the grinder back together, just run some beans through which will get any particles left after scrubbing. Then it's good to go, never got any after taste.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 11:18am

While on some grinders, it really might be easier to use a cleaning product, on a SJ, it is SOOOOOOO easy to open it up and do the job right and to be able to clean where the cleaning products will never get such as in corners, I just say save the money and open the grinder. At least I have seen left over caked coffee that the cleaning products will not remove. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 12:51am

boar_d_laze Said:

Replace your SJ burrs with genuine SJ burrs.  If you want to see an amazing improvement in your coffee life, replace the Mini's burrs with SJ burrs as well (they simply drop in).  

BDL

Posted November 25, 2013 link

I believe they only drop in on the Mini E model. The Mini doser uses 58mm burrs, while the Mini E & all SJ models use 64mm. I do believe a doser model can be modded to fit the larger burrs, but it's not just a burr swap.
Idk what's involved.
I do agree that it's worth swapping them out on the Mini E. The SJ burrs made my Mini E the grinder I was hoping it would be when I bought it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What to replace...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277030944824)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+