Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Gaggia Classic halfwit on her new Lelit PL043MM
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
M_R
M_R
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043MM
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:44pm
Subject: The Gaggia Classic halfwit on her new Lelit PL043MM

I'd gone into the business of which grinder to purchase after great kindness shown to me in the Espresso forum by ... can't remember off-hand without going there, but I think it was Cal ... anyway, this person pointed out that the Sunbeam EM0450 will never grind fine enough, and he is now proven entirely correct. He's my hero.   :-)
I worked out that the best I could POSSIBLY afford is the Lelit. Oh, I should say: the best I could possibly afford that's available here in Sydney - sorry.
So yesterday I rushed off to a supplier - extremely nice and helpful, the young lady looking after the shop was, and I commend her absolutely. Bought it and brought it home.
Discovered only then that the little black plastic thinggy that you push the portafilter into is the wrong size. (I was reminded that when I bought the Sunbeam I was supplied with two: one this size, called 'domestic', and one that fits the Gaggia portafilter, called 'commercial'!)
So. My question is: can anyone tell me if I can buy a replacement black plastic strip to affix on the front of the Lelit that will accommodate a 58mm portafiler, please?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:25am
Subject: Re: The Gaggia Classic halfwit on her new Lelit PL043MM

I have no idea if you can get a replacement, but I'd phone that nice young lady at your supplier and see if she knows.  The other option is just to remove the fork from the grinder and put a block of wood or whatever in there that is the right height.
 View Profile Link to this post
M_R
M_R

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:32am

Now, why would you think that wasn't the first thing I did ...?
:-)
She doesn't know of replacements of that kind ...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:00pm

I think you are talking about the porta filter fork, it is U shaped and is under the grind spout of that grinder.

The exact location of your poratfilter under the spout is not critical and you can adjust the grounds in the basket after you grind them, how much does the fork/PF mismatch?

I suspect that a call to Lelit customer service might be a place to go if the retailer is not able to help you.

Glad to hear you are on the right track! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
M_R
M_R

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:10pm

Yup, it was you alright, who set me on the right track re the grinder. THANKS HEAPS, Wayne! :-)
I can force the portafilter in because the plastic isn't rigid: but there's not all that much room, and the direction of the ground coffee from the spout is towards the front of it ... and it becomes a bit of a balancing act to get the right amount in the right place because of having to be trying to keep the portafilter in position.
I thinkI'll contact Alan Frew of Coffee for Connoisseurs about it: although he's in Melbourne, he still knows everything in terms of Aussie coffee needs/supplies.   :-)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:20am

Your welcome.
Have you looked into the down under board to see what they offer?
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/
They are another good place to hang out and as they are much more local to you, some of the location specific information may be more accurate for you.

In a worst case, you could grind into another container and then transfer to the PF but that quickly becomes "old" and a big pain.

Give coffeesnobs a look and see if someone there can be of better help to you.

Don't stay away from here though LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229403018951)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+