Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Tre Spade - IL MACININO
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Tre Spade - IL...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
the_rkp

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 2:28am
Subject: Tre Spade - IL MACININO

Hi all,

I read some information on this forum about the grinder in object (Il Macinino - Tre Spade) and I understood it is not bad so I bought it :)
Yesterday it arrived at my home, and this morning I was so excited using it for the first time, but I had a really bad surprise. The grinds are too coarse. I tried almost all different settings, even the two extreme, but nothing, the coffee is really coarse, I guess this way is useless even if I use it for the moka just imagine for a decent expresso.

Does someone have some feedback on this issue? I'm really sad :( :(

Thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:56am
Subject: Re: Tre Spade - IL MACININO

Mod note, dup THREAD deleted.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
the_rkp

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:59am

Yes, really sorry about this. Maybe I wrongly click two time :(
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:07am

I am sorry you are sad.
That grinder was never designed for espresso, it is only a general use grinder and will never grind properly for espresso. You need a grinder that was designed for ONLY espresso or at least MAINLY for espresso. Sorry.

If you can, return it and buy a espresso grinder if that is your goal. Most espresso grinders though do not work well with regular grinding for coffee so if you want to do both, keep it and then buy another grinder for espresso.

The Mahlkoenig Vario is one of the few grinders to be able to do both in a home grinder budget. This is the name in the EU, in the U.S. it is the Baratza   Vario.

http://www.mahlkoenig.de/en_products/VARIO-home.html

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:08am

the_rkp Said:

Yes, really sorry about this. Maybe I wrongly click two time :(

Posted November 21, 2013 link

That is OK, that is my job to take care of things like that :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

the_rkp

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:29am

Thank you for the answer.
Maybe I misunderstand some reviews I read in the last months, I thought it is quite good for espresso as well (I don't need nothing else, actually, other than expresso is not coffee :-P ).
However, this morning I wrote to the "Tre Spade" and they answered me very quickly. They sent me some instructions to reduce the distance between the grinding mechanism... this evening I will try, and let you know :) cross the fingers
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:37am

I wish you luck.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 3:54pm

I can confirm that the grinder is indeed designed for espresso, presumably it is the same one I saw in the link below "Tre Spade Il Maccino"

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

They're also rebadged by La Pavoni to be LP PGC (Chrome Model) or LP PGB (Brass Model). With the instruction from Tre Spade, I am sure you can get it to work for espresso. The worm gear is very adjustable for espresso fineness. The only grip when I used them was that they're pretty loud. But overall a very good grinder.
the_rkp

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 2:08am

Thank you guy for all the answers. I can confirm that with the right instruction, the grinder work very good. Now it's all about find the right settings, now I'm happy again :-P
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 3:54am

calblacksmith Said:

I am sorry you are sad.
That grinder was never designed for espresso, it is only a general use grinder and will never grind properly for espresso. You need a grinder that was designed for ONLY espresso or at least MAINLY for espresso. Sorry.

If you can, return it and buy a espresso grinder if that is your goal. Most espresso grinders though do not work well with regular grinding for coffee so if you want to do both, keep it and then buy another grinder for espresso.

The Mahlkoenig Vario is one of the few grinders to be able to do both in a home grinder budget. This is the name in the EU, in the U.S. it is the Baratza   Vario.

http://www.mahlkoenig.de/en_products/VARIO-home.html

Posted November 21, 2013 link

This information isn't just a little bit wrong, it's totally wrong ... and from a mod, yet! The trespade grinders are designed totally as espresso grinders, the "family" includes grinders by Imat, Nemox, Iberital, Isomac, Ascaso, laPavoni, Rancilio (the Jacky) and Lelit, all built around the same burrs, carriers and motor. See the HB results for the Nemox Lux, probably the crudest design of the group, here Click Here (www.home-barista.com) .

The trespade design isn't really that good at general purpose, i.e. plunger and filter grinding.

Alan
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Tre Spade - IL...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290706157684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+