Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Porlex - Flying off the Handle
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Porlex - Flying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
slickrock

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:34am
Subject: Porlex - Flying off the Handle

My Porlex, over a year of mild use, has developed a fair amount of play in the handle where it covers the penta-axle. So now, the handle flies off the grinder often times when I get to business.  I try to hold the grinder in such a way as to apply downward pressure, but its gotten a lot harder to grind without the handle slipping off the axle.  Has anyone else have this issue come up and was was done to remedy it?
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 3:57am
Subject: Re: Porlex - Flying off the Handle

slickrock Said:

My Porlex, over a year of mild use, has developed a fair amount of play in the handle where it covers the penta-axle. So now, the handle flies off the grinder often times when I get to business.  I try to hold the grinder in such a way as to apply downward pressure, but its gotten a lot harder to grind without the handle slipping off the axle.  Has anyone else have this issue come up and was was done to remedy it?

Posted November 12, 2013 link

You can hammer around the hole on the handle to close it up slightly so as to tighten up the tolerance around the axle. But I think that'll only be temporary. if it's happened once, it'll happen again.   Save yourself another headache and get the Hario Mini Slim hand grinder.
slickrock

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 1:12am

Say, does the Hario Mini Slim have the same sized penta-axle as the Porlex?  The reason I ask is this cool thing:  Drill Adapter.  If it works with the Porlex, then I'm set.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 1:33am

slickrock Said:

Say, does the Hario Mini Slim have the same sized penta-axle as the Porlex?  The reason I ask is this cool thing:  Drill Adapter.  If it works with the Porlex, then I'm set.

Posted November 13, 2013 link

Not sure. I junked my porlex before I got my hario. They do look the same though.

Don't do the drill thing. They heat up the burrs and coffee rather quickly due to the diminutive size of the grinder.   And they don't really grind much faster. I never understood why folks don't just buy an electric grinder if they wanted one in the first place... drill attachments are just so silly, imo.
custie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 11:52am

Did you ever find out for sure if the Hairo hexagonal adapter will fit the Porlex grinder? I'm in the same situation as you.

Why use a hand grinder and a battery powered drill? I'm in a unique situation where I'm working in a cubicle at a client site. I don't have the storage room for a Keurig or a big electric burr grinder. Plus, we aren't allowed to run appliances in our cubes (probably fire code). I need finely burr-ground coffee for my Aeropress espresso press.

With a hand grinder and a mini drill or battery powered driver, i can slip into an empty confrence room or stairwell and quicly grind out a cup of coffee or two.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 12:11pm

custie Said:

Did you ever find out for sure if the Hairo hexagonal adapter will fit the Porlex grinder? I'm in the same situation as you.

Why use a hand grinder and a battery powered drill? I'm in a unique situation where I'm working in a cubicle at a client site. I don't have the storage room for a Keurig or a big electric burr grinder. Plus, we aren't allowed to run appliances in our cubes (probably fire code). I need finely burr-ground coffee for my Aeropress espresso press.

With a hand grinder and a mini drill or battery powered driver, i can slip into an empty confrence room or stairwell and quicly grind out a cup of coffee or two.

Posted February 8, 2014 link

Again, I would advise against it.

It wasn't designed for that and you'll probably break it in the process.  .  The burrs will only grind as long as the beans can fall into the tiny opening of the burr set. I'm telling you, beans are gravity fed won't fall in if the burrs spin faster. This is a hand grinder.  It performs most efficiently with slow, steady cranking. At high speed, it'll take longer, your burrs will be worn out in no time, your grinds will have heated up significantly, and your going to be dissapointed in the end.
custie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 11:55pm

1. I'm not trying to spin any faster than hand crank speed; electric drills have variable speed triggers.

2. I'm not trying to crank any harder than a hand crank; electric drills have variable torque clutches.

I'm trying to find a 5 point socket that will grip the grinder shaft better than the sheet metal handle that was provided. I agree that overcranking could be catastrophic.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Porlex - Flying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265804052353)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+