Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Adding a second grinder...up, down, or sideways?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adding a second...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
stevelip

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 2:10pm
Subject: Adding a second grinder...up, down, or sideways?

This is my first post ever! I thought it might be a good idea to throw this out to the peanut gallery.

I have a Baratza Vario that I use for several kinds of coffee beverages: espresso (La Spaz Mini II), pourover, press, and Aeropress. We're happy with the performance, except maybe it won't go quite as coarse as I'd like for press. Espresso use is maybe only 20%. I'm thinking about getting a second grinder and can go in a couple of different directions.

1. A dedicated espresso grinder, using Vario for the assorted non-espresso drinks. This would be nice since I use a different grind for each of the non-esp's, and the Vario changes grinds so easily. But expensive.

2. A somewhat lesser grinder for the non-espresso. Cheaper for sure, but maybe kind of wasting the vario feature of the Vario. Although I would still be micro-adjusting to pull shots.

Any strongly held opinions out there?

thanks, Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: Re: Adding a second grinder...up, down, or sideways?

Vario with ceramic burrs is an acceptable espresso grinder.

If you want to get another espresso grinder you will also be looking to get some steel burrs for your vario which will make it a much better pour over, drip, and press grinder

I currently have 3 grinders and I am trying to get it down to just 2.  Recently added steel burrs to my Vario-W and if it does as well with them as I am hoping that it will my Preciso/Esatto will be on its way out of the kitchen, leaving me with a super jolly electronic for espresso and the Vario-W steel to handle the pour over / drip / press grinding.

moosepucky: grinders_11-01-2013.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stevelip

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 8:53am

thanks for the opinion. Any cheaper grinders that do ok for drip/press/aeropress? Does the Preciso work well?
stevelip

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 9:32am

Plus...out of curiosity, what's that little electronic unit, lower left in photo of your coffee fortress?
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 9:46am

stevelip Said:

thanks for the opinion. Any cheaper grinders that do ok for drip/press/aeropress? Does the Preciso work well?

Posted November 7, 2013 link

The Preciso or the Virtuoso would work just fine for pour over / drip / or press.  You don't need the fine adjustment capability (my opinion anyway) for med to coarse grinding so if you wanted to save a little more $$ go with the Virtuoso which is the same grinder as the Preciso without the fine adjustment option

I took my Preciso apart when I did the burrs on my Vario-W (a few days ago) and put in a new adjustment ring and reset the internal coarse/med/fine base setting so that I am more in the middle of the grind setting for med drip grind (#17).  This leaves me plenty of "wiggle room" above and below for finer pour over (V60 and Chemex) and coarser grinds (Kalita and press).  I also lowered the motor speed a tad on the Preciso while it was apart.

I used my Preciso this morning to grind some med roast Kona for "Bunn Day"  Every other day is Bunn Day around here and I brew a pot in my commercial Bunn drip machine.  The Preciso worked perfect for its first use after the rebuild.  Nice consistent med drip grind.   No big chunks.  Very consistent.  No fines to speak of but it is hard to tell when using a filter.  I did grind a little, pour into the filter, poke around, adjust the grinder setting, grind a little more, and compare the grind as I wanted to dial in the numbers for the type of grinding I do since everything was moved around after the internal setting adjustment.  

I do not have the Vario-W dialed in yet but I think I will have some time today to play around with it.  I am interested to see how the Vario-W and Preciso/Esatto do head to head with med to coarse grinding.  

In a way I am sort of sorry I replaced the Vario-w burrs as the Preciso did so well today.  I can always put the ceramic burrs back in if it is too close to call a winner between the two Baratza grinders I have.  I can use a second espresso grinder more than a second pour over / drip / press grinder.

Keep your Vario for espresso as you will need to spend some pretty tall money to move up from that grinder to a better espresso grinder.

moosepucky: bunn_hd_basket_on.jpg
(Click for larger image)
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 10:10am

stevelip Said:

Plus...out of curiosity, what's that little electronic unit, lower left in photo of your coffee fortress?

Posted November 7, 2013 link

That's an Auber instruments grinder timer.  The Super Jolly is plugged into that and it doses based on time.  there are 2 programmable routines (single or double dose) and a constant on.  It is a 1/100 second grinder timer.  This basically turned my SJ into a Vario as far as how it functions now

I don't think I will get too much heat for posting a url to home-barista where I talk about the SJ manual to electronic change over I did recently.  

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

moosepucky: auber_timer1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 10:45am

I would highly recomment a baratza virtuoso if you wanted a cheaper grinder for other methods. I find that precise grinds arent really necessary and the 40 settings is adequate.

The vario is capable for espresso just fine.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:29pm

When I ran my twin SJs, I ran them on a digital dark room dual time, timer. It is a very good way to go, it is easy to adjust and very consistent. The Auber timer should work well too.

Which way to go? Really it is a do what you want to do situation.

I have a dedicated espresso only grinder and my choice of grinders for "other methods"

MY PERSONAL direction if I were you would be to use the Vario as an OTHER grinder and step up on the espresso only grinder.

Like I said though, it is a personal thing so it is really your money and counter space!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Shawn12
Shawn12
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 2:00pm

I have the exact set up being discussed a Virtuoso with an esatto for my drip/vac pot and the vario for espresso. From what I have read on here many times to see a significant improvement in espresso grind over the Vario it means heading into the over $1000 range. So the much cheaper option is to keep the vario for espresso and go cheaper on the non-espresso grinder.  Works well for me.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 3:03pm

There are some who feel that way for sure, I will NOT say they are wrong, it is a personal thing.

The closest I have come to the Vario is to play with it in the Intelly shop. Having never used it, I can't speak for the grind but I CAN say there is WAY too much plastic on it for MY taste. GREAT grinders can be found all the time for less than $500 if you are able to wait for them, sometimes much less.

If you love yours, great! use it in good health and may it NEVER give you one second of trouble! I prefer heavier duty equipment designed for the "long haul" and perhaps it is just a wish on my part but even though several people say the Vario "grinds the same as a SJ" I have a hard time beleaving it

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adding a second...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323432922363)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+