Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Chipped Baratza Vario Burrs?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Chipped Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 12:43pm
Subject: Re: Chipped Baratza Vario Burrs?

yeah, back to basics is always a good idea when little tweaks don't seem to fix the problem.

Will VSTs help?  Well, I've been uising LM Strada baskets for several years now, and can't remember the last time I used a stock basket.  I don't get many sprites, and when I do it's sporadic.  I think it has to do with grind slightly off or unevenness in distribution.  If I get real channeling, it's only after changing beans and then over-coarsening my grind to compensate for the choke I just had. I'm not that patient to do microadjustments when the grind is way off for a new jar or bag...and to be honest, most of the time, I have a pretty darn good idea how far to adjust my grinder to get it ballpark for a decent shot, so it usually only takes me two or three shots to get it dialed in when I change beans.  

Long answer, I know...or maybe I should say, long non-answer.  In short, I would suggest they are helpful (though I don't remember how helpful).  I know you're on a student budget, but if you can manage to pick one up, it's probably worthwhile.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:10am

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

I took a look at my Vario burrs and snapped a few pics of what might be abnormalities/chips in the burrs. I'm not too familiar with what is and is not significant enough to cause a problem so I'm hoping you all can shed some light.  I do have an extra set of new burrs, but I've only put about 15lbs through the machine so I was going to hold off installation unless someone here suggests I try it.  Thanks a lot everyone.

Posted November 3, 2013 link

Did you buy the grinder new?

those chips are typical of someone using a screwdriver that is TOO wide to fit inside the screw hole when removing the burr attachment screws.

From the looks of the buggered up screw slots those burrs have been off at least once and someone used an inappropriate tool that chipped the ceramic burr while taking off or putting back on the burr screws.

the only "fix" is to replace the burrs with new ones (and use new screws since those have buggered slots).  

Use a screwdriver that is narrow enough to fit in the hole and this won't happen again.

I would not have the answer as to whether this effects the grind or not but the actual grinding on the ceramic burrs takes place at the outside edge where those chips are located so it is a possibility.

If you want the definitive answer you need to go to Baratza and tell them you have a couple of buggered up burrs.  They will recognize what happened and be able to advise you on whether you need new burrs or not.

The Vario with ceramic burrs is a very nice espresso grinder.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 10:25am

moosepucky Said:

Did you buy the grinder new?

those chips are typical of someone using a screwdriver that is TOO wide to fit inside the screw hole when removing the burr attachment screws.

From the looks of the buggered up screw slots those burrs have been off at least once and someone used an inappropriate tool that chipped the ceramic burr while taking off or putting back on the burr screws.

the only "fix" is to replace the burrs with new ones (and use new screws since those have buggered slots).  

Use a screwdriver that is narrow enough to fit in the hole and this won't happen again.

I would not have the answer as to whether this effects the grind or not but the actual grinding on the ceramic burrs takes place at the outside edge where those chips are located so it is a possibility.

If you want the definitive answer you need to go to Baratza and tell them you have a couple of buggered up burrs.  They will recognize what happened and be able to advise you on whether you need new burrs or not.

The Vario with ceramic burrs is a very nice espresso grinder.

Posted November 5, 2013 link

Thanks for the reply!  The grinder was indeed refurb.  I figured the damage was from someone else trying to replace them with the wrong tool...sort of ridiculous that someone spends a few hundred dollars on something and then doesn't take the time to find the right screwdriver.  Baratza sent me a new set of burrs despite not being able to really tell me if the chips are the cause of my problems; gotta love that customer service.
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 11:09am

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

Thanks for the reply!  The grinder was indeed refurb.  I figured the damage was from someone else trying to replace them with the wrong tool...sort of ridiculous that someone spends a few hundred dollars on something and then doesn't take the time to find the right screwdriver.  Baratza sent me a new set of burrs despite not being able to really tell me if the chips are the cause of my problems; gotta love that customer service.

Posted November 5, 2013 link

They should have caught that when they did the inspection before offering it for sale again.  

A good "investment" in tools is a  Brownells gunsmith screwdriver set.

Click Here (www.brownells.com)

Little pricey for non gun work but invaluable when you need a fine match between a screw and tool.

I just replaced the ceramic burrs in my Vario-W this morning with a set of steel burrs and used this set.  I've had my set for decades and can't count the number of times it has come in handy.

I believe that they make a smaller set if you dig around on their site.

Use a metal pick to clean the coffee out of the screw slot so that you can get a good match between the blade and the screw slot.

Click Here (www.matcotools.com)

View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Chipped Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249546051025)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+