Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Need help with Baratza Virtuoso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
atytse

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:13am
Subject: Need help with Baratza Virtuoso

Hi friends, I'm quite new to the coffee community only recently having fallen in love with trying to make a perfect espresso shot.  I own an Oscar Nuova Simonelli and Baratza Virtuoso.

My current question is with regard to the grind size with my espresso beans.  I'm seeing nice extraction out of Oscar Nuova (long thin tail) but I'm tasting bitter coffee. The current setting at my Virtuoso is 2 which seems too low. Yet if I try to increase it, I feel like the coffee will be under extracted (since the water flow is really quick).

Any tips or advice? I've read elsewhere that folks set their Virtuoso to setting 11 for espresso grinding which is really different than my current setting. Thanks much.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:27am
Subject: Re: Need help with Baratza Virtuoso

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

I'm afraid the steps of the Baratza Virtuoso are too few and too wide for dialing in correctly, so that the right setting is somewhere in between two steps. It's just not the right grinder for that particular use.

The entry level electrical grinder for brewing espresso is the Preciso.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 9:31am

You could play with the dose amount to make up for the Virtuoso inadequacy, but it'll be a lost cause pretty much. The Virtuoso doesn't dial in for espresso regardless of what some retailers will tell you, awesome coarse grinder though especially since it has the Preciso burr set. The Preciso and Vario are for espresso as they have macro and micro adjustments that basically let the grinders act "steppless". If you can return the Virtuoso and grab an preciso or vario you'll be far better off, especially with the Vario and it's awesome ceramic flat burrs.
Shawn12
Shawn12

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 9:35am

I have a Virtuoso with Esatto that I use for Drip and Vac pot only now. I have on occasion used it for espresso but never went lower than 7.   2 seems really low.  Yes it needs more steps but I never had the problem you experienced. ie 7 too slow or choke and 8 too fast. Not prefect but I could manage. How old are your beans? Again 2 seems realy really low wonder if there isn't something else up with the grinder.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 12:16pm

You  can tweak the grinder by adjusting the setting inside.  See this Baratza bulletin:

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/recalibration.pdf

As others have said the adjustments on that model are very far spaced (from click to click) so hitting it dead on for one batch of beans might be off for another batch of beans.

They do make great drip and pour over grinders though.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
atytse

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 7:11pm

You guys are really awesome. Thanks for all the replies.

Wanted to followup with few more questions.

1. What does recalibration do? Is that a must tweak to better utilize the grinder?
  2. I tried setting it to 7 but the coffee just comes out too quickly during extraction.  Changed to 5 and it's still pretty fast.  2 gave me the nice golden long tail but as you noted it's really too low of a setting.  So what else could be wrong?
  3. How often do you clean your grinder? Do you use those grindz tablets or do you just dissemble it and wash the components?

I'm asking to see if there's a trade in program to get the precioso. Thanks!
atytse

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 7:13pm

Oh and one more question. When you're changing the grinder setting, a technician told me that you should change it when you're grinding. Don't just change the setting without grinding. Does that sound accurate?
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:34pm

atytse Said:

I tried setting it to 7 but the coffee just comes out too quickly during extraction.  Changed to 5 and it's still pretty fast.  2 gave me the nice golden long tail but as you noted it's really too low of a setting.  So what else could be wrong?

Posted November 5, 2013 link

How old are the beans that you use, that means when were they roasted?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
atytse

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 1:01am

The beans were roasted about 5 days ago.

I recalibrated my grinder to fine and the setting now is at 3.
atytse

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 3:00am

I just switched different beans and have the setting at 4 and the extraction just gushed out.  Maybe I really need finer grind setting with the Virtuoso?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270876169205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+