Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Should I upgrade? Gaggia MDF to a high end Grinder
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bullysonzx10r

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 6:23pm
Subject: Should I upgrade? Gaggia MDF to a high end Grinder

Hey all,

I've been a lurker for a while, but this is my first post.

A few weeks ago I purchased a La Spaz Mini Vivaldi II, and I absolutely love it. I've been using a Gaggia MDF as my grinder, and I'm getting good results, fairly consistent shots, great Crema, and a great taste.

However, I wonder if I'm missing out... So, I've got a few questions:

- Is it worth upgrading? (I'm Willing to spend around 750-1000 on  a grinder)
- Will I notice any difference with an upgrade?
- What should I upgrade to?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
 View Profile Link to this post
jprudolph

Espresso: Rocket R58 / Carimali Uno
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E / Macap M4D
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: Should I upgrade? Gaggia MDF to a high end Grinder

I had 2 Gaggia MDFs. One was an original 1993 steel MDF at home for use with my Carimali Uno plumbed in unit and the other was a 2006 MDF for use at my condo with my Gaggia Classic. Recently I purchased a Mazzer Mini E for use with the Carimali. The difference was stunning! Wow! The only negative is that the stepless adjustment collar on the Mazzer is VERY stiff thus making it difficult to make very small adjustments as the adjustment inevitably jerks past the desired stop point and the graduation marks are not numbered well. The machine also sprays quite a bit of coffee on the counter with certain roasts. For the condo I replaced my 2006 MDF with a Macap M4D. The M4D is easier to use and not as messy as the Mazzer and it turned my Cheapo Gaggia Classic into a miracle machine that outperforms the old Carimali. This led me to purchasing an R58 for the condo and now I'm off the charts happy and trying to figure out if I should replace the now hated Carimali.

Yes. Buy a whazoo grinder.
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 7:36am

Yes, however, i only have experience with the baratza vario. ha
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 7:57am

jprudolph Said:

I had 2 Gaggia MDFs. One was an original 1993 steel MDF at home for use with my Carimali Uno plumbed in unit and the other was a 2006 MDF for use at my condo with my Gaggia Classic. Recently I purchased a Mazzer Mini E for use with the Carimali. The difference was stunning! Wow! The only negative is that the stepless adjustment collar on the Mazzer is VERY stiff thus making it difficult to make very small adjustments as the adjustment inevitably jerks past the desired stop point and the graduation marks are not numbered well. The machine also sprays quite a bit of coffee on the counter with certain roasts. For the condo I replaced my 2006 MDF with a Macap M4D. The M4D is easier to use and not as messy as the Mazzer and it turned my Cheapo Gaggia Classic into a miracle machine that outperforms the old Carimali. This led me to purchasing an R58 for the condo and now I'm off the charts happy and trying to figure out if I should replace the now hated Carimali.

Yes. Buy a whazoo grinder.

Posted November 4, 2013 link

I'm not surprised about your grinder upgrade experiences.

Keeping in mind that the Gaggia MDF is (without having been modified) a stepped grinder with its steps being too wide for dialing in correctly, and that you'll always fare better with a stepless model, an upgrade to a high end grinder will always bring a noticable difference in espresso quality.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jprudolph

Espresso: Rocket R58 / Carimali Uno
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E / Macap M4D
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:21am

NobbyR,

Yes, the MDFs are step less, I have played with them from time to time with the stops removed and there were some instances that the "midpoint" was the sweetspot. If Gaggia would release a micro metric adjustable version of the MDF is would be nice.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21195101738)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+