Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder - Main purpose Drip
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder - Main...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DM67

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 8:35am
Subject: Grinder - Main purpose Drip

Hello everyone,

Not a coffee geek but do like coffee :)

A few questions regarding grinders for drip coffee maker.

What we have:
Coffee Maker - Mr. Coffee 12 cup
French Press - Java city (I think)
Coffee - Starbucks already ground bag - Sumatra is our favorite.

So we do not have sophisticated stuff. On weekends we may make an 8 cup batch which is two "normal" cups each for us.
I have an Amazon gift card for $150. And have not been able to decide what to get. Then thought about a grinder. I have done some research and below are some that appear in the price point.
  1. Baratza Encore
  2. Bodum Bistro
  3. Capresso?

What I am looking for in a grinder:
  1. Consistency good enough for drip - looked like as grind gets coarser the consistency drops? Does this matter for drip and press?
  2. Can grind darker roast beans - Read that some have problems doing this. I was going to go with the Encore when I read a review it was not made for dark roast? This is the main question I have despite the long post :)
  3. Handle making enough coffee for 4 "normal" cups per day.
  4. Somewhat quiet
  5. Easy to clean

I can go up some in price if there is enough reason to do so. Do not plan to make espresso drinks anytime soon. Course after the espresso drink I had today I may have to start making my own. But if say the Rocky or similar will be a good drip grinder I can consider. But if I read right most folks have two, one for drip and one for espresso.  

I assume that no matter what grinder I go with it will be miles ahead of the store bought pre-ground stuff?
Also have started considering ordering roasted coffee as some have mentioned that dark (charred) from commercial roasters may not mean dark at local type roasters?

Thanks,
David
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 4:28pm
Subject: Re: Grinder - Main purpose Drip

Have you read the reviews on this site?  This would be a good place to start.

Baratza: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/baratzaencore

Bodum: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/bodumbistrogrinder

Capresso?:  There are 3 models listed in the reviews section http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders?Letter=C#C

Here is the Baratza Maestro plus reviews (Encore is a revamped Maestro plus): http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/baratzamaestroplus

The only one that you have listed that I am versed in are the Baratza grinders as I have owned one model or another for many years now.  I've had many of their grinders over the years and at present I have 3 of them (2 at one house and the third at another).  I've been pretty satisfied with their performance and would have to say that you would be satisfied with the Encore for a drip grinder.

My current "collection" of Baratza include a Maestro plus that I have had for over 5 years, a Preciso mounted on an Esatto, and a Vario-W.

An older pic of my Baratza family portrait (before Jr. went off to permanently live with a friend)

moosepucky: baratza_x4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DM67

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 3:55am

Thanks moosepucky for the reply!

I did look at most of the links prior and went back to make sure I did not miss anything.

When I read them first, I chose the Encore although it only had the 2 reviews (had not looked at Maestro at the time).
Then when I got to Amazon, and read the reviews there the following excerpt is what got me looking harder:
"...I contacted Baritza directly. Their Technical Consultant was very good, but expressed that a dark, large, oily bean is a known problem with this machine and would not recommend it."

Today reading reviews from links provided -
Bottom Line: Not a good grinder for home roasted, oily beans. - Bodum
Bottom Line: solid, well built, great but not for dark roast beans - Infinity

So my question/concern is, as we drink Sumatra which as I understand it is a dark oily bean.....which of the 3 has a better chance of grinding that type of coffee?

Also in from the Amazon review the person stated Baratza tech said the next step up the Virtuoso does not have a problem with the dark oily beans.

Next step up as I see it -
Baratza Virtuoso - Bottom Line: Great grinder if you don't use dark flavored coffee (so seems different opinion that Baratza).
KitchenAid Proline-
Gaggia MDF
Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder

Do I spend more for another grinder or diminishing returns for drip coffee and the dark oily beans are issues for most lower level grinders?

At this point I think I am leaning towards the Encore to try out grinding coffee... I believe it will have to be a big step up from the pre-ground coffee. We put the coffee in a sealed container but it lasts almost a week so should be going stale. From what I read 15 minute rule has long expired :)

David
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 8:08am

I "believe" when you see "dark oily" that it means dark roasted such as espresso roast which is very oily.  The issue with this type of bean is that they might be a little too slippery to feed into the burrs properly.  Keeping the hopper filled typically resolves that problem should it arise.

For pour over or drip grind you "should" not have an issue as the spacing is such that the beans should feed through.  The problem "may" arise with fine espresso or Turkish grinds which the Baratza Encore is really not capable of anyway.  It is a very good low priced drip and coarser grinder, not an espresso grinder.

I think you would be more than satisfied with the Encore for the type of grinding you will be doing regardless of what beans you feed it.

They are easy to take down for cleaning (burr removal is a finger operation, no tools needed).

Baratza also has some very good online "user level" service/tweaking guides that are easy to follow should you need to slow the motor speed down to handle the beans you are using:  http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/Speed-Reduction.pdf

Their email and phone support is right up there with the best companies that I have dealt with.  They are fast, pleasant, and knowledgeable.

Again all of my experience with grinders has been with either the Baratza line or the Mazzer line of grinders so I have no first hand advice for you regarding other makes of grinder you are looking at.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DM67

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 6:18pm

Appreciate the replies moosepucky and the explanation concerning the oily beans.

I plan to purchase the Encore. Hopefully will have it here in a few days.
I will post a follow-up on what I experience with the Encore.

Thanks again for the advice.

David
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder - Main...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232699155807)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+