Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Replace Baratza Vario burrs or no?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Replace Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
VanHlebar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brataza Vario
Roaster: Bohemor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:40pm
Subject: Replace Baratza Vario burrs or no?

I purchased my Variou just about three years ago this week but it has had very limited use untl the last 3-4 months. Now it gets used 1-2 times a day for 2-4 shots maybe a 1lb or so of coffee each week.

I have calibrated the grinder a few times and just this week installed the shims they sent me to fix the sliders moving during operation problem.

I don't appear to be getting as good a grind as I remember when I first got my grinder and Gaggia Classic. I was thinking maybe I need to replace the burrs? I see I can get a set from Baratza for $40 a pair and $10 for the tool to assist in removing the top burr. I do plan on upgrading the grinder at some point next year, but for $50 this seems like a simple "fix" if that is really my issue.

Just wondering if folks think that after only three years of very limited use, if the burrs could already be worn to the point of replacement?

Thanks,
Eric
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 7:36pm
Subject: Re: Replace Baratza Vario burrs or no?

Your burrs should be fine. At the rate you're grinding, they ought to last between 5 and 10 years. Figure on them lasting for about 400# of beans.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:18am

If you are going to upgrade to a different grinder within a year, replacing the burrs at this point would not be cost effective.  You may want to shorten the time you expected to wait for a replacement then use the Vario as a pour over / press grinder (if you drink any other type of coffee besides espresso) at which time you may want to consider some steel burrs for it instead of another set of ceramic burrs.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:30am

That's a good point...about the burrs being ceramic.  They're more likely to chip than steel ones (though they tend to stay sharp longer).  It might be worth giving them a visual inspection.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:19pm

I usually make an effort to remove the top burr once a week or so and give a thorough brushing to remove some of the stuff that gets stuck in there.  It's not a big problem with the Vario but when crushing beans it's impossible to avoid entirely.  I use a $0.99 1 inch paintbrush.   Some people also use a small handvac with a nozzle to GENTLY vacuum out some of the harder to reach stuff.

Might also want to consider running some GRINDZ through it or other comparable burr cleaner every once in a while.

Barring a chipped burr like emradguy suggested, it's probably just a cleaning/maintenance thing but you won't know till you get the burr removal tool and check it out.  

Also keep in mind that the beans make a huge difference.  Have you started using beans older than 2 weeks?  Oiler beans also tend to cause more buildup in the burrs (not surprisingly).

Good luck!
VanHlebar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brataza Vario
Roaster: Bohemor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 6:21am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really wasn't thinking they needed to be replaced so soon, but I just wasn't 100% sure. I do run GRINDZ through the grinder about every other week or so. I think this weekend I will take apart the top and do a really good cleaning on it as most of you have suggested. I did do a calibration on it again the other day and that really has helped but I still think it might need to be a little tighter. In order to get a fine enough grind right now I have to have the Macro setting one down from the top and then the Micro setting is almost to the top. That seems to be pretty high based on my research.

As for the beans, they are about 7 days old or so. I usually roast on Sundays and those beans usually get used after about 2-3 days depending on my usage from the previous week.

Thanks again everyone for saving me the time and money of replacing the burrs.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Replace Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226041078568)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+