Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Need Sub 16" Grinder Advice
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need Sub 16"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zman99

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 3:27pm
Subject: Need Sub 16" Grinder Advice

I always thought my little Baratza Maestro was a nice match for the Silvia.  Then I brought home a used commercial grinder to clean up and install at work...a big old La San Marco.  Scrubbed, cleaned, soaked, reassembled.   Set it about nine clicks from zero and ground up a few ounces just to give it a try before I packed it up to take to work.  BAM!  Far better tasting shot than the Baratza I've had at home for years!

So it's pretty obvious I need a better grinder.  Budget is pretty tight. I'd like to stay under 500.  I think I can pick up a used Mazzer mini (doser) for around 300 but it looks like it might not fit under the 16" cabinet height.  The S.O. is not cool with big, expensive commercial equipment that can't tuck under the cabinets.  I'd like to stay away from another Baratza as I'm feeling a little cheated by the sub par quality my current one produces.  Ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 7:48pm
Subject: Re: Need Sub 16" Grinder Advice

If it's just grind quality bothering you about the Baratza, then they are you best bet for the size and budget. The Maestro is inadequate for espresso. I actually started with one...then got a Rocky and thought oh wow, where have I been hiding?...then I bought a Mini Class grinder (Macap M4), and was blown away. Next step up from the Mini is the Super Jolly, but it's far too big for your cabinets. In walks the Baratza Vario, small enough to get under your cabinet, grind quality rivaling the Super Jolly, impeccable customer service from Baratza. The refurbished units actually fall into your budget. Seems like they were made for you...unless you have another issue with getting a Baratza. They update their refurbished units available on Thursdays, and they come with a one year warranty...check out their website.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:40am

The Mini or Super Jolly would fit without the hopper; I like the size of the mini better. Shoot, even an older Mazzer Major would fit, but it's a monster. Better question is do you want doserless or doser. There's no reason to buy new except for aesthetic reasons, clean up the used grinder and replace the burrs.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:31am

For espresso I use both a Super Jolly (with the short mini hopper so that it fits under the upper cabinets) and a Baratza Vario-W (with ceramic burrs).  I find that I use these alternately and can tell little difference in the grind quality from either of them.

The Maestro is NOT an espresso grinder.  Never was and no matter what you do to it, will never be one.  I used my Maestro (and Maestro plus) for pour over and press grinding which they did an acceptable job with.  Both Maestro models have been replaced with a Preciso with an Esatto weight based attachment for my pour over and press grinding.

moosepucky: 6-g-fam-74k.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 11:14am

hankua Said:

Mazzer Major would fit, but it's a monster.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

Monster good!

hankua Said:

There's no reason to buy new except for aesthetic reasons, clean up the used grinder and replace the burrs.

+1

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
zman99

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:18pm

I appreciate the replies.  My bad attitude about Baratzas comes from using the sub par results of the Maestro.  It's been a few years now but when it was purchased it was marketed as good entry level grinder for espresso.  Now that I've used other machines I realize how much I've been missing. The switch is going out on it as well.  Every once it a while it will randomly turn on in the middle of the night.  Freaks everyone out!

I'm not a fan of dosers.  I use one at work and it seems like in low volume situations it's a bit of a waste.

I'm not afraid of lightly used or refurb machines, but I think the S.O. would veto a bruised up old Mazzer Major, with or without the hopper.

I checked out Baratza's website.  I gotta admit  the Vario-W packs a lot of tech into a sub 500 dollar package.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:03pm

zman99 Said:

I'm not afraid of lightly used or refurb machines, but I think the S.O. would veto a bruised up old Mazzer Major, with or without the hopper.

I checked out Baratza's website.  I gotta admit  the Vario-W packs a lot of tech into a sub 500 dollar package.

I had a Vario, could not stand the thought of a doser, got a very clean Major with a doser for sub $500, after a few months of sharing the counter the Vario was history. More than a year later the doser is still on the Major and I have 0 regrets about the Vario or the doser. If i had landed on the sofa over it I might have some regrets, maybe. :)

Best of luck, tough to go wrong considering the grinders your looking at.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:12pm

Dosers aren't wasteful unless they don't sweep clean. There are a few mods out there to make poorly functioning vanes work better (when needed). Dosers tend to be cleaner on the counter (from what I've read -I've always had dosers) and they have less clumping. In the end though, it boils down to personal preference.

zman99

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:56pm

emradguy Said:

Dosers aren't wasteful unless they don't sweep clean. There are a few mods out there to make poorly functioning vanes work better (when needed). Dosers tend to be cleaner on the counter (from what I've read -I've always had dosers) and they have less clumping. In the end though, it boils down to personal preference.

I imagine some are better than others.  

At any rate, if I need to tuck the thing under a 16" counter, does it boil down to either a baratza or pretty much any other brand if I pull the hopper?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 8:56am

zman99 Said:

I imagine some are better than others.  

Posted October 29, 2013 link

yes, for sure

zman99 Said:

At any rate, if I need to tuck the thing under a 16" counter, does it boil down to either a baratza or pretty much any other brand if I pull the hopper?

Posted October 29, 2013 link

not really for most people, though with your counters, that might be the case - I realy don't know for sure.  I think most kitchens have 17 3/4 inches clearance, and most of the grinders in the Mazzer Mini class will fit in that space.  There was a review several years ago comparing the leaders in that class, such as the Mini itself, the Macap M4, the Compak K3 touch, etc.  you should be able to find it on home-barista.com  In the review, not only can you read the comments about each grinder, but you can see the results tabulated, and they included the dimensions of each grinder.  There was also a thread on here a few months ago dedicated to listing grinder dimensions (maybe it was just heights).  It included 10 or more grinders, iirc.  You might be able to find it using the search tool.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Need Sub 16"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34740114212)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+