Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rancilio rocky vs. baratza preciso for espresso newbie
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
dgkula

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 6:19pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio rocky vs. baratza preciso for espresso newbie

Frost Said:

The Rocky is 'has been' around here. I think the biggest problem ( besides clumping) is the burr alignment issues when play develops in the adjustment thread. If the burrs are not perfectly co-planar and solid adjusted, grind quality quickly drops off a cliff.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

So I am obviously new here but bought my Rocky + Silvia combo in the second half of 2000. I have done the Teflon tape mod and put electrical tape on the doser vanes to sweep cleaner and that is it. I get great pours from this combo (90% straight shots unless I am making a milk drink for my wife on a weekend) and am really surprised at the criticism this rock solid grinder receives on this board. There are times when I would like to adjust the grind as the beans age but instead can adjust dose to get similar results.

This grinder is rock solid and I have not had a single issue in 13 years.

I do have a used Mazzer SJ arriving tomorrow. I got a screaming deal and am curious to see if I can taste a difference. If not I can sell it for what I paid and stick with Rocky. Have a look at the Titan Grinder Project over at HB and the Rocky results might surprise you.

Best,
David
 View Profile Link to this post
LauraH

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 9:59pm

I'm glad to see a couple of folks sticking up for the Rocky. It was the best choice for me since there was not going to be an ability for me to get warranty work done and needed a machine that had a GOOD track record. It may take a few extra moments to create my morning brew but the Sylvia/Rocky combo have been awesome!  Lovely espresso, proud to share it and I enjoy the process.  There was a learning curve but learning new things is a good thing.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 8:19am

I used to have a Rocky. I got good results by adjusting dose to compensate for the inability to adjust the grind precisely. Then I bought my first Macap M4. Not only was it a whole new world in a adjusting the grind exactly where I want it, but the results in the cup were waaaaaay better. After that, I couldn't wait to get rid of the Rocky, so as soon as I could I got a second M4.  Now I want to get my first Titan, as I'm sure I'll be stepping into another world with that.  But hey...that's my experience. If other people want to keep their Rocky and stay where they're at, that's their choice.  Given what I've been through, I just can't recommend a Rocky.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 4:33pm

dgkula Said:

So I am obviously new here but bought my Rocky + Silvia combo in the second half of 2000. I have done the Teflon tape mod and put electrical tape on the doser vanes to sweep cleaner and that is it. I get great pours from this combo (90% straight shots unless I am making a milk drink for my wife on a weekend) and am really surprised at the criticism this rock solid grinder receives on this board.

Posted October 30, 2013 link

It's difficult to assess what one has not experienced.

I was happy with my Rocky prior to getting my Super Jolly.  However, switching to the SJ was one of the most significant improvements in the cup that I've made.
dgkula

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 5:24pm

Ok so I fired my used SJ this morning and agree that adjustability and grind are superior to the Rocky but should we really be surprised?

Rocky retails for $350 or so, the SJ retails for $695 or so. I made very good espresso with the Rocky; given my few trials with the SJ, I think I may be able to make even better espresso with the SJ (both using the Silvia, which could also be upgraded as well at enormous expense). My used Rocky is listed at $150 on ebay - for the quality of espresso that it can produce, combined with build quality and consistency that is a good price.

So here's the question - if I can do better than 90% of the coffehouses in my area with Silvia and Rocky, is it worth spending more for the upgrade to the SJ? Of course I want a VBM DD which is $2300 ... this is insanity. Each of us must decide how deep our pockets are an what we can afford to spend in pursuit of the godshot. I spent 13 years with Silvia and Rocky and drank very good shots. There is always better, but at what price. At some point we hit the law of diminishing returns; that point is likely different for each pocketbook.

David
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256432056427)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+