Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Purchased! Two used Super Jolly Grinders!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Purchased! Two...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
OilyEspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 7:34pm
Subject: Purchased! Two used Super Jolly Grinders!

So I decided to go with a commericial grade grinder, after a lot of research I found that Super Jollys in my area are a dime a dozen due to the coffee cart craze.

After waiting for a bit, I found three used machines for sale at 180 bucks a peice.

I went and visited the machines, one of them was extremely new showing almost no wear, and grinds like a dream. I bought that one instantly. It's a 120V luigi super jolly with a timer and a doser.

The second machine sounded like it would get power but didn't run, so I didn't buy that one. The owner claimed that it was a safety system issue, but you could hear a sound like it had power but wasn't working.

The third machine was the same as the second, but functioned nicely, putting out a nice grind. It was an older model luigi super jolly 110V with an on/off system and doser. The screw in adjustment locking pin on the side was no where to be found on this machine.

I now have these, they have been proven to work and ground at a good rate.

Ive been watching a few videos on grinder care, I know how to take it apart and put it back together again thanks to the video. I am mechanically inclined and can work on these machines.

I am planning on preforming a full tear down on the machines, checking the burrs, cleaning the machine up, replacing the locking pin on the one machine, possibly installing a doserless system.

But I'd like your opinions as to what I should do as start-up maintenance, and what I should continue to do to keep these machines in top condition. What are some of the pitfalls and problems you have encountered in using them and how do I avoid these situation in my own journey?

Thanks everyone!
 View Profile Link to this post
EndTwo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:56pm
Subject: Re: Purchased! Two used Super Jolly Grinders!

Congrats, thats a nice price. What do you need two for?

As far as im understanding Mazzer, the main aspects are burrs and cleaning. I am however new to mazzer myself. If the motor sounds fine and it grinds, itll probably need a good cleaning and perhaps new burrs. If you are to use them commercially, new burrs might be a good idea. If not, you can test them by letting a finger nail run over them, if they scratch the nail lightly, the burrs are sharp. No blood and gore required.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 7:10am

"My Super Jolly Hospital LOL!"
That is a thread I started a while ago.
There isn't much to do on them, they are stout. I would guess that the one that did not run was likely a starter capp.

Change the burrs and a good cleaning and perhaps a paint job.

I like the doser and while I did convert one to doserless for someone who was going to buy it then backed out, I am going to change it back. There is just too much mess with doserless and you loose the ability to grind while pulling a shot.

I ran two SJs for a while, on a timer. One for regular and one for Decaf. Since then I have moved on and only use one coffee on the bar now

You might want to check out my CBSJ mod for the doser, it makes it sweep VERY clean and is an easy mod to do. "CBSJ mod (CalBlacksmith SJ doser mod)"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 8:41am

OilyEspresso Said:

But I'd like your opinions as to what I should do as start-up maintenance, and what I should continue to do to keep these machines in top condition. What are some of the pitfalls and problems you have encountered in using them and how do I avoid these situation in my own journey?

Thanks everyone!

Posted October 23, 2013 link

Basic dis assembly and cleaning out of the old stale/rancid coffee will be a big improvement.  Remove the burrs, clean them, clean the cute.

Remove the dosser - 2 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom (inside) and it comes off.  Clean it out well.  You "may not" need to take it apart to clean it if it functions properly.  Remove the base and brush out any accumulated grounds that fell to the bottom.

There is a nice mod that EP sells for the doser to keep the grounds from "spewing" around.  this is nice in a home environment where you want to keep things neat, clean, and tidy.

I'm in the process of converting my SJ from a can doser to a timed funnel doser.  All parts won't be here until mid week next week :(
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:31am

OilyEspresso Said:

What are some of the pitfalls and problems you have encountered in using them and how do I avoid these situation in my own journey?

Posted October 23, 2013 link

These things are tanks.  Not much to do other than cleaning and replacing the burrs as needed.
keithd
keithd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:23pm

Where are ya'll finding these used commercial grinders? At an auction house? I have no idea where to even start looking other than a used restaurant equipment place, and that's if they'll let me in not being a business owner (open to the public?).
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 1:12pm

keithd Said:

Where are ya'll finding these used commercial grinders? At an auction house? I have no idea where to even start looking other than a used restaurant equipment place, and that's if they'll let me in not being a business owner (open to the public?).

Posted October 29, 2013 link

They are where you find them :)

Craigslist.  Ebay.  Restaurant supply houses (yes they are open to the public and many resell used equipment - call around).
OilyEspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 1:46am

Here's what I've been doing:

I search craigslist in my area every day and get a feel for prices in my area. I compare them against prices on ebay and for what you can get them for brand-new.

You should be able to get in on some "going out of business" sales, that's basically what this was.

They wanted a lot for the espresso machine, but they were selling the grinders dirt cheap. So I went, tried them out, made sure they functioned and had been maintained which they had.

The trick is to watch, wait, learn the market on the specific item you want on both E-bay and craigslist and then buy when you find one that's abnormally low. That doesn't happen that often on ebay much these days IMHO, but craigslist is awesome.

I live in a rural area so there are less deals, but when they come up there's also less chance of someone jumping on it before you do.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Purchased! Two...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301057100296)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+