Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder for la pavoni europiccola
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder for la...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wtse8184

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 1:00am
Subject: Grinder for la pavoni europiccola

I just bought a la pavoni europiccola and I think my coffee is ground too coarse.  It started dripping out "watery coffee" when I lift up the lever and when I press down the lever, coffee came out with almost no resistance and very thin creama.  It tastes sour and bitter.

Does it seem I need a better grinder?  Currently I'm using sunbeam EM0480 and I have set it to the finest.

If I need a better grinder, I'm thinking la pavoni jolly JDR.  Will it ground fine enough coffee for my europiccola?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:53am
Subject: Re: Grinder for la pavoni europiccola

I don't know either of those grinders first hand, but took a look at specs.  The grinder you have has 25 steps, no?  Certainly not enough variation to allow you to dial it in properly, so for that reason alone, I'd recommend an upgrade.  However, given it's designed, well at least marketed for espresso, you ought to be getting at least a decent shot from it at some setting.  You might want to jump down to my last comment. which addresses what is likely your real problem.

The La Pavoni Jolly has a 38mm conical burr set, which is on the small end of the spectrum. It's not where I'd like to be with that machine you have, and if you were to get it, it would limit your ability to pull the best shots possible. I couldn't find what type of adjustment mechanism that grinder has.  You should be looking for something stepless, which will give you infinite control over the particle size and, at a particular dose, will allow you to control the extraction length down to the second (even tighter control than that, actually).  Rather than setting your sights on a particular grinder, you might want to disclose a budget, then see what's the most grinder you can get for that.  Would you consider used?  There are commercial grinders that can be had for consumer prices in the used market (even in Australia), and when found they often only need cleaning and maybe a new burr set.

However, before you get that far...these beans giving you trouble...how fresh are they?  If they weren't roasted within the past couple of weeks, they could very well be the culprit.  In case you don't know, roasted beans go stale after about 2 weeks or so, and this is extremely important when it comes to making espresso.  In fact, so important that, stale beans behave exactly like you describe.  Of course, grinding too coarse can also do that, as you've suggested.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wtse8184

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 3:31pm

Thanks, my grinder has 25 steps and it gives me OK coffee for my Breville 800 espresso machine.  The coffee beans were just less than 2weeks old.

I'll be getting some ground coffee from the shop which sells la pavoni machine and ask them to finely grind so that it should fit my machine.  If I can make coffee out of it, that would confirm that I need to upgrade my grinder.

I was thinking about La Pavoni Jolly mainly because it matches with the machine.  Commerical grinder is a bit bulky and probably overkill.  How about Rancilio Rocky?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 8:14pm

The problem with your plan is that by the time you get the preground home and in your machine, it'll be stale. Maybe you should check if they have a good return policy, so you can take it back if it's not up to par.

I do some more reading on the Jolly for another thread and found an advert saying it has 50mm burrs, so now I'm a bit confused by that. However, I also found a photo suggesting there are at least 50 steps for adjustment, which is much better than the Rocky (has only 40 steps). I've had a Rocky before and the la Pavoni Jolly is looking better than that to me.

In your shoes, I'd try to 1) verify the burr set, and 2) get some real detail about the adjustment mechanism (stepless or stepped, and if stepped, how many).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wtse8184

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 8:57pm

Oh, when you said 38mm mill, I think you might have mixed up another model.  The Jolly JDR has a 50mm flat mill and the Kube Miller KBM has a 38mm conical mill.  

Rocky now has 55 steps so that will make it better, I suppose?  

Within similar price range, what are the options for stepless grinder?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder for la...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22681593895)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+