Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Trouble with new San Marco SM90
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Trouble with new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
zach1234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 8:30pm
Subject: Trouble with new San Marco SM90

Just got a (heavily used) SM90. Didn't pay much for it, so I was expecting some cleanup to be necessary.

Problem is that it doesn't start when the power button is pushed. Looking inside it doesn't appear there is much inside that could go wrong. Before I contact the seller I'm just wondering if there is something really easy I'm not seeing that could be wrong.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Trouble with new San Marco SM90

Welcome to the board.

Grinders are a pretty simple device and you are correct, there isn't much to go wrong inside. Some grinders have a safety interlock and require the hopper to be in place. I have not used that particular grinder sorry.

For the most part, commercial grinders only need to get cleaned and new burrs. Was the grinder sold as working or did the very small print say as is where is LOL?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zach1234

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 9:55am

I found a little microswitch inside, though when I actuate it the grinder still won't start.
My first inclination would be to twist the wires for the microswitch and the power switch, since then all that would be left is the motor and capacitor. I'm a little hesitant to mess with the wiring just yet in case I have to send it back. (The seller has actually told me to let them know if I can't get it working and they'll make it right.)
zach1234

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:13am

Success!
Thanks for the safety switch tip. Took out the micro switch and it purrs.
(Now just need to get the adjustment collar loose: searching around looks like some combination of solvent a hair dryer and a strap wrench should do it)
zach1234

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 10:05am

I'm wondering about the burr alignment and the rigidity of the top burr carrier.
The wear isn't perfectly even all the way around (started with new burrs).

Also, I hit zero pretty quick to the point that if the beans aren't pretty fresh I can barely grind fine enough. If I lift up on the right side of the adjustment wheel/burr carrier I can get several more clicks before the burrs hit. It seems possible that used commercially with the hopper full of beans this wouldn't be a problem (I think it is the indexing switch pushing up on the opposite side that is making the carrier not sit straight).

Will I be off base to try wedging a wood shim under the right side of the carrier to get the burrs aligned (and eventually maybe remove the indexing switch if it is what is pushing too hard on one side). Another thought was to us a little teflon tape to take the play out of the threads.
Is this a secondary issue? Meaning, should I focus on other things first and come back to this? I've got a new (to me) machine (Astra Pro) and trying to dial it in. Even using WDT I'm still working to get rid of some channeling. So I'm sure I have other parts of the process that need a lot of work. Could this be adding to the channeling or is it just a red herring?
zach1234

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 12:02pm

Here is a photo of the direction of wedging I'm thinking of (opposite the spring loaded index tap).

zach1234: 20131103_114550.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Trouble with new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211817979813)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+