Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
moonie4774
moonie4774
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Brveille ESXL 800
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Saeco Venus
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 5:32pm
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso

well, I have loved my Virtuoso until this morning. I lived with the grinder knob falling off on a regular basis, (very Italian I thought), but now I'm just angry.

I turned the knob to its usual halfway position to grind enough for my morning pot and ran into take a quick shower. when I got out of the shower I could hear the grinder still running!  What!?!?

I ran out and had coffee everywhere! The hopper was empty and the basket was full! I had to unplug it to make it stop.

Okay, I knew it wouldn't last forever and I have used it everyday for 3 years. But, at the price I paid, I mistakenly thought I was getting a café level grinder, not an expensive consumer item.

My bad, so my advice is this...buy it with the idea that its an expensive grinder that wont last as long as you would expect.

Any one want to give me some suggestions? I'm wiling to pay up to $300 for a replacement.
 View Profile Link to this post
GlenO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 6:17pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso

If it's just the timer and knob that are broken, you can get a new timer and knob for $10 directly from Baratza.  Check their online store.
mauijer
mauijer

Espresso: QM Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 9:01pm

moonie4774 Said:

Any one want to give me some suggestions? I'm wiling to pay up to $300 for a replacement.

Posted October 15, 2013 link

You can pick up a refurbished preciso for ~$230 or a Vario for ~$330 if I recall the prices correctly. Otherwise call up baratza for recommendations on replacing parts. If its only the timer switch then simple decision.
johnmyster

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:32am

+1 on replacement parts from the Baratza website.  Parts seemed reasonably priced and they shipped quickly.  

There's an instruction guide posted on their website for disassembly.  Make your life easier and follow it.  If you unhook the wire to the timer switch, you'll be able to run it using the manual switch until your replacement switch comes.  It only takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it and IIRC, no tools except a c-wrench to remove the switch.
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 5:19am

Just contact their customer service. more than likely, they will ship you the parts for free if you weren't the one to screw it up. ha.
moonie4774
moonie4774

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 6:32am

I went to their website and orderd the timer assy for $10. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know if that's the fix after I get it installed.! It still grinds great, I just feel like im on an episode of green acres......Does anyone get that reference? LOL
Lady_Croft
Lady_Croft

Espresso: None :(
Grinder: Baratza virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tabletop
Drip: Mellita ceramic pourover
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 7:43pm

I've owned a few Baratza grinders and have decided that I think I hate them.
I can't even count how many times I've had to replace parts. Especially the main drive gears. i have had to replace them on ALL 3 baratza
grinders i've owned. And I'm pretty sure it just broke on my virtuoso too. So that sucks. I'm so sick of these things. grrrr.
moonie4774
moonie4774

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 4:35am

Okay, so I received the replacement timer and knob and got it installed. I also spent about an hour completely cleaning it. So at this point Im back to business. $12 with shipping. Hopefully that's the end of my drama with my grinder.

This reminds me of a question I pose to my new hires, (im a corporate trainer).  When people go to a hardware store to buy a new drill, what do they really want? answer: A hole in their wall!

All I want is a decent inexpensive cup of coffee......but just the like guy wanting a drill, I have to spend way more than the price of the hole, to get what I want! lol.

Thanks everyone, love this site!
moonie4774
moonie4774

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 5:36pm

Since receiving my new timer and know, a new issue developed. Im not certain if the timer was the issue or not, but after installing it, my grinder started grinding very weakly.

I contacted Baratza and paid the $60 to have it rebuilt and sent it in. within 2 weeks it was returned, and they must have installed a new grinder motor. It has a completely different sound, (much quieter) and it grinds without any effort or drama.

I am saving the box they sent it to me in and in a few years when it fails again, ill send it back and have it overhauled again!

Great service. I am a truly satisfied customer!
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 7:14am

moonie4774 Said:

Since receiving my new timer and know, a new issue developed. Im not certain if the timer was the issue or not, but after installing it, my grinder started grinding very weakly.

I contacted Baratza and paid the $60 to have it rebuilt and sent it in. within 2 weeks it was returned, and they must have installed a new grinder motor. It has a completely different sound, (much quieter) and it grinds without any effort or drama.

I am saving the box they sent it to me in and in a few years when it fails again, ill send it back and have it overhauled again!

Great service. I am a truly satisfied customer!

Posted December 30, 2013 link

They must have rebuilt your gearbox (updated it to the current 2.0 version). This will quite down the grinder a fair amount and the longevity moves up a bit as there will now be 2 bearings instead of one supporting the center burr shaft like the old gearbox has.  Your 3 year old grinder would have had the older design in it unless you upgraded it yourself at one point.

Anyone who has a Baratza conical grinder that is older than 2 years should consider rebuilding/updating the gearbox.  I've done it to my two oldest Baratza grinders (Maestro and Maestro Plus) and it did make a noticeable improvement in the grind consistency, not to mention the noise the grinder made was reduced.  Doing the upgrade yourself is not difficult and they have step by step PDF files on their site that make it a cakewalk.

Gearbox rebuild PDF from Baratza

I'll agree that Baratza has excellent customer assistance and they do go the extra mile for the customer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283869028091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+