Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder upgrade sometime next year...
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder upgrade...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 11:08pm
Subject: Re: Grinder upgrade sometime next year...

shnxx Said:

I'm in a similar situation although I am willing to spend more if it means I won't want to upgrade.

These are some of the choices I've found.

Mahlkoenig Vario K30 (~$1450)
Used Mazzer (most likely a Major ~$1100), but Robur E is "the best"... which I might go for because it will mean I won't need to ever upgrade for maybe 10 years or more
Compak K10 Fresh (~$2000)
Compak K10 Pro Barista (~$1500)
Wega 6.8? (~$1500)
Anfim Super Caimano (haven't looked much into this one)
They all seem to have pros and cons.

The K30 is convenient but it's a flat burr. Apparently gets hot.
Mazzers are expensive. Conical with electronic dosing is Robur I believe.
K10s are conical burrs but retain too much grounds and seems like incredible pain in the ass for home use with single dosing.

Posted September 27, 2013 link

My observations based on firsthand experience:

Vario K30 is very nice.  A bit bulky and aesthetically less appealing compared to others
Pro M is also very nice.  Fits well in most kitchens aesthetically but build quality a little less robust
Compak K10 Fresh is amazing.  Retention is not that big a deal. A Robur is more and a Major (doser)is about the same as the Fresh.
The Mythos Pro Barista Low RPM model (this is the newest one with the clump crusher) is an amazing grinder.  Very low retention and aesthetically pleasing with the short hopper and also has micro adjustments.
Anfim Super Caimano Doser model is also very nice but the least aesthetically pleasing out of all but has the best doser. Grind is very nice as well and also has a micro adjustment and a purge.
Don't forget the HG One Hand Grinder as well.  Best single dosing biggest burr conical and a breeze to use (I haven't used a Versalab)

All of the above are phenomenal grinders outputwise.  Aesthetics and price will be a major factor I suspect. The HG One, Mythos, Pro M, and Anfim are my choices in that order if retention is an issue. If a little retention isn't an issue the K10 Fresh will be my top choice. If I can only have ONE grinder I'd consider the "new" Mythos as its got very little retention and no WDT, RDT etc is ever necessary.

FYI, I have both the HG One and Fresh.
 View Profile Link to this post
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 6:10am

Thanks everyone for the replies... a couple questions...

Regarding the Pro M, it seems some parts of it might not be "user serviceable", i.e. harder to get to than with other grinders. Any experiences?

Is there a "non-Pro" version of the Mythos Pro Barista Low PRM model? I find Mythos Barista Low RPMs but not Mythos Pro.

Thanks!

Joo
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 2:02pm

I'm confused. Are you asking about the Mahlkonig Pro M?  If you are I do not know about servicing these.

If you are referring to the Mythos Pro Barista Low RPM, I don't think there is a low RPM Pro Model. The only difference is the low RPM but I have seen the low RPM model in action and it is excellent coming out of the spout directly into the portafilter into a nice fluffy even mound.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder upgrade...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210379838943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+