Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder Suggestions for Silvia
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 2:07pm
Subject: Re: Grinder Suggestions for Silvia

LJSquishy Said:

Thanks, all!

I'm going to pony up for a Vario I think (probably refurbished). :)

I've now decided against the Silvia and am going to choose between the Crossland CC1 and Breville Dual Boiler. After coupons/ebates, the BDB is about $250 more than the CC1. Tough decision.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

You won't be disappointed.  

Regarding the machine, I don't know how much love you'll find for Breville here.  I can't comment on the specific machine's functionality though (it has some cool features, no doubt).  What I can say is that Breville makes breadmakers, deep fryers, grills, toasters, rice cookers, and my personal favorite, electric woks.  All of the other machines that have been mentioned in this thread are made by companies that do one thing--coffee.  I have nothing against Breville, I think they make quality electric products, but for grilling my panini and not brewing my coffee.  I could definitely go with the CC1.
 View Profile Link to this post
LJSquishy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 3:22pm

Just wanted to update everyone & thank you all for the help.

We changed directions and have decided on the Breville Dual Boiler and will pair it with the Baratza Vario grinder. I think we'll be pleased with both.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 1:03pm

Geesh. So many people going against the coffeegeek word and buying the breville double boiler. They must have a great brand image.
LJSquishy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:07pm

brianl Said:

Geesh. So many people going against the coffeegeek word and buying the breville double boiler. They must have a great brand image.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

I was recommended the BDB by numerous CG members so I am not sure what you are getting at. Aside from going with the CC1 which doesn't have the speed of the BDB for pumping out multiple drinks, there wasn't anything else suggested in the same price range. I briefly considered a Nuova Simonelli Oscar but I read more negatives on that machine than I did of the BDB.

What machine would you have suggested for $1000 that can brew & steam at the same time that also dispenses hot water (not from the group head)? Just curious.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:52pm

LJSquishy Said:

Those are the machines in my budget, and I absolutely cannot spend any more than that. It's just my husband and I in our house and we only make about 5-10 beverages per week total between both of us. We're not so worried about the taste/quality of the espresso as I'm sure anything is better than what we were using before. I can't forsee us ever really getting hardcore into espresso. We just want a few decent drinks here and there. :)

Posted October 4, 2013 link

From your first post I think we were under the impression that you didn't need the ability to brew and steam at the same time with only 5-10 beverages a week.  A single boiler is often enough juice to make a latte (although not as well as double boiler most would say). I'm willing to bet someone with 10 years experience can froth milk 100x better than me even if they use a Mr. Coffee and I use an HX machine (it's a skill that needs practice).  Also, anything with a steam wand will dispense hot water as well as steam.  It's easy to read a list of features and talk yourself into thinking they're are necessary, I do it allllll the time and consistently have a dialogue with myself in an attempt to avoid such things.  

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm sure it's a very high quality machine and that you'll be more than happy with it!  Please update the thread when you're ready to prove all us BDB haters wrong ;-)
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 7:24am

Well as for 'pumping' out espresso the CC1 would be hard to beat considering it has the larger boiler.

But yeah, I have a gaggia classic and it dispenses hot water and makes drinks pretty fast. Ive never seen an espresso machine that only dispenses hot water thru the group? Then again I have a PID and all that jazz. This machine was around a 1000 not too long ago. Much preferred by me.

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Youll find a lot more heat exchanges for less than the breville.

However, i'm not going to waste anymore of anyones time with this.

hope you enjoy your machine. The grinder is the main thing anyways.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 4:41pm

brianl Said:

Posted October 9, 2013 link

Just an insanely low price for a double boiler machine is the main draw.  I am sure it is a more than acceptable machine.  They'd have to go a long way to goof up a double boiler design so I am sure they perform satisfactory.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mauijer
mauijer

Espresso: QM Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 8:21pm

I have a quickmill silvano-single boiler with thermoblock. Previously considered the Cc1 but liked the reviews and overall look of the Silvano better. It's a beautiful machine w pid but only hot water thru grouphead. I saw some deals online for the silvano and preciso shipped for under $1000-wish I had seen that deal before I purchased. Oh well. My buddy has a Breville... He's gotten at least one good shot out of it. I just ordered a Vario W but it doesn't arrive til thurs so can't comment yet. My only recommendation is buy Breville thru bed bath and beyond so you can return it if it ever gives you trouble. Hopefully it won't. Post a pic of your victory shot and congrats. But if you decide to return it I fully recommend the Silvano
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287318944931)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+