Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Talk me into a grinder!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Talk me into a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:40am
Subject: Talk me into a grinder!

My criteria-

-home use
-used at most twice a day, or maybe not for a few days at a time
-max price preferably under 800

So here's the deal, my parents bought a new super-automatic saeco and gave me their old saeco gran crema
http://www.1st-line.com/images/saeco/GranCremaB.jpg

Not the greatest machine in the world but a step in the right direction. The goal is to get a good quality grinder that could potentially last me forever, and then when funds permit upgrade my espresso machine. I'll say right now that a La Marzocco will never be in my budget, i doubt i'd be spending more then 1500-2000 on an espresso maker.

What i think i need is a doserless model as i want fresh grinds every time, with an emphasis on having as little loss stuck in the chute as possible. What i dont need is an electronic model as cost is most definitely an issue. If i could buy a doserless model of Mazzers base grinder, at 650 dollars i probably already would have bought it. Seeing as how that doesn't exist what is my next best option? Only the compak K3 and macap m4t seem to meet my criteria but they *look* cheap. If the plastic body does not reflect a high quality of working parts inside i would consider either of those.

What are my options?
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:00am
Subject: Re: Talk me into a grinder!

Don't know about the Compak but I assure you macaps are built almost entirely out of metal.  A doserless M4 model would suite you well.  If you can find a doserless stepless M2 you could save a few hundred dallers.  Macap's build quality is comparable to Mazzers but IMO mazzer takes it one step further with some of the electronic functions and doserless funnels they add to their machines.  Used Mazzers pop up all over the place and are truly built to last. So are the Macap grinders.  

The doserless is much nicer.

BTW I have a larger MX stepped model I am willing to part with if your interested.  I can let it go for $350+ shipping.  I'm trying to go doserless. PM me if you want it.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:15am

i'm looking to stay doserless as well.

Sorry i meant to write MC4, not M4T. Did mazzer use to make non electronic doserless options that i might be able to find used and buy a set of burrs for? Not going to lie it would make me happy to have something sitting on my counter that says MMMM on it, but i'm having a tough time justifying the 1000 dollars plus tax for a mazzer mini E. Feel free to talk me into why i have no choice but to buy that grinder. lol
Burner0000

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:21am

Yes I am pretty sure I have seen them without the top electronics.  I am in love with Macap tho.

Actually I just found one at Chris Coffee Here a bit pricey tho.. If you can settle for a used Mazzer doser model there are some on ebay right now within your price range.
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:34am

Thanks for the link! That is by far the best price i have seen on that grinder yet. The website Idrinkcoffee.com is right near me but they want 1000 bucks for it, maybe i can get them to price match on the b model though and if not i'll keep that website in mind.

Just found this link on this website *facepalm* i guess everyone should just read this. I think it's going to make my decision a lot easier.
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
Burner0000

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:53am

Anything bought in Canada will be a bit more expensive because of shipping costs to get it here.  

Best deal I can find is the Mini Mazzer doserless w/ volumetric dosing..  $1004 all in shipping and tax.

Update!!!!  UPS will most likely ask for a COD which will probably bring the total cost up to what you would get it at Idrinkcoffee..  I know this because I has to fish out $100+ for my used Silvia when I got it.  Mazzer grinder aint light...

If you want Mazzer --> Click
If you want Macap -->  Macap MC4T-C10 $626 all incl  It's stepped but if you don't like it you can easily convert it yourself for another $70
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:09pm

Yeah so the place closest to me would be 1000 plus tax which would put it at 1300.

That link i posted doesn't have a lot of positive things (see: none) to say about mazzer relative to its price. It also basically points me in the direction of the Macap M4 doserless. I would seriously consider the Compak k6 if it came in a doserless, but really dont think a doser makes any sense for someone who's pouring at most 1-2 shots a day of espresso.

So the M4 makes the most sense, and the person who wrote it feels it's on par with a mini. My only curiosity is how the longevity would compare to that of a mini.
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:12pm

I think i've talked myself out of a mazzer. Idrinkcoffee.com shows they're out of stock but sells the Macap M4 stepless in black for 500.
Burner0000

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:13pm

This looks like a sweet deal.

Macap MC4T-C10 $626 all incl  
I assure you the Macap will last just as long as a Mazzer.  I promise you will realize it once you get it.
Burner0000

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:16pm

Good deal. :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Talk me into a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240633964539)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+