Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand grinder for chemex?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
maltby

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:33pm
Subject: Hand grinder for chemex?

Just switched to chemex from a Mr. Coffee. Currently using preground coffee and am considering a grinder. My brewing is taking longer then 3 to 4 minutes.

Do not like the noise of electric grinder in the morning. Then I came across the hand grinders and I thought might be a good fit. Quieter and something to do while the water boils. Then I came across a mention of inconsistent grinds at coarser settings. And I am thinking I might need a coarser grind then my preground, so I am wondering whats going to do the trick?

Apologies if this is not the right section due to not being about espresso...
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 6:19am
Subject: Re: Hand grinder for chemex?

I've been hoping someone who uses Chemex would mention a couple of grinders they've used, but not yet.  

I use an OE Lido for my presspot and it is excellent for coarse grind.  If you decided on a Hario (at least the Skerton), OE (that Orphan Espresso, btw) sells a lower bearing mod kit for $15 and has an instructional video on their website for how to install it, to make the grinder do coarse grinding better.  I actually had it with the mod, but never used it, and then gifted it to a friend who was graduating.  He was doing FP and planning on getting a Chemex, but I haven't heard from him in a while, so I don't know more.

As far as OE Lido goes, they are currently working on their redesign and expect to have the new version available "mid-October".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
maltby

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 8:28pm

thanks for the response...seems like this is not the right forum for my question.

I would prefer to buy something that doesn't require a mod kit.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 11:52am

I have both the Hario Mini and a Kyocera CM-50 (Hario skerton).  Both out of the box did not do an acceptable job on coarser settings (Kalita coarse and press coarse) but the Chemex likes a tad finer than medium grind so either should work fine for you in a Chemex.

I did the Orphan Expresso mod on the CM-50 and other than the fiddly part about getting the burr centered onto the shaft with the brass bushing.  The mod was a snap.  Took me 10 minutes to get the burr perfectly aligned and maybe another 10 to take it apart and put it back together

If I were going to recommend one over the other I would steer you to the larger of the two (skerton / CM-50) as you can mod it later on for press grinding should you want to do that and still use it for your finer/medium grind for a Chemex or V60 both before and after you modify it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 7:45am

I have used the Hario Mini Mill, which is better at the finer grinds than the skerton for some reason. I typically make a cup or two at a time (not the full 8 cups it can handle) so the finer grind is welcome. However, if you wanted to sneak in some french press than you should certainly do the skerton with the orphan espresso mod.

Personally, I prefer and use the Baratza Vario or my girlfriends Bodum Bistro (depends on if vario is tuned for espresso or not). Like yourself, I am very hearing sensitive so I put in those foam earplugs while i'm weighing the beans or pouring the water. About the same level as a hand grinder then (hand grinders are nowhere near silent).
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 7:58am

maltby Said:

Just switched to chemex from a Mr. Coffee. Currently using preground coffee and am considering a grinder. My brewing is taking longer then 3 to 4 minutes.

Do not like the noise of electric grinder in the morning. Then I came across the hand grinders and I thought might be a good fit. Quieter and something to do while the water boils. Then I came across a mention of inconsistent grinds at coarser settings. And I am thinking I might need a coarser grind then my preground, so I am wondering whats going to do the trick?

Apologies if this is not the right section due to not being about espresso...

Posted September 27, 2013 link

Hario hand grinders are affordable and built for drip coffee.  They Just came out with a few new models.  I am a Skerton fan (modded) but these may be up your ally.  

Hario Canister Mill $47
Hario MXR $70
Hario Crank $100

More info on the Hario's

For drip I have found that inconstant grinds are minimal.  When you start grinding in press grange you start to see inconstancy.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232326984406)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+