Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Which Mazzer grinder for home use?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which Mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 1:44am
Subject: Which Mazzer grinder for home use?

Hello

I have a Bezzera 003 grinder as seen here.
http://dibartoli.com.au/bezzera-bb003-doser-grinder/
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/391139

But since I'm seriously considering buying a Marzocco machine (GS/3) next, I want to upgrade my grinder to a Mazzer grinder.
One thing I don't like about my 003 is that it has a step adjustment, which I am not a big fan of and it has a doser, which wastes a lot of beans for me and is entirely unnecessary for home use.

Looking at this link, it seems like the only differences are throughput and conical vs. flat burrs.
http://www.lamarzoccousa.com/portfolio/comparegrinders/

Which one is good for home use?
Which is good enough to pair with a GS3?
Is it a good idea to buy from eBay or craigslist? (i noticed there are a lot of good deals on used mazzer grinders)
 View Profile Link to this post

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 3:20am
Subject: Re: Which Mazzer grinder for home use?

There is no simple answer to your question that won't be disagreed with by a good proportion of members of this forum.  The discussions have gone on for years about "which is best".  

One thing that probably wouldn't be contested is that all Mazzers have the same high level of construction quality, so you can probably eliminate that as an issue.

Beyond that, it's personal choice, and the best answer is to search previous discussions and reviews and come to your own conclusions as to what fits your criteria for performance, size and price.

Buying second hand is fairly secure with these grinders provided they haven't been badly abused. You may need new grinder burrs, but they are readily available and considered normal service replacement parts anyway.
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 1:17pm

Found this helpful article on the main website (but through a google search to be fair). It answered all of my questions and pointed me away from a mazzer. It might answer your questions as well.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 3:43pm

I don't see how that article points away from Mazzer? The OP is looking for a grinder that is a step or two above that grinder.
Doser/less is a personal thing. One is not better than the other. A properly operating Doser is an advantage in the home as it allows you to grind for your next shot while using your PF and basket to pull a shot. They also tend to be cleaner on the counter, have less static and clumps in the grind. Look up the CBSJ mod to see you a little work makes the Doser much more useful.

Standard advice follows, watch Craig's list, local want add papers and haunt used equipment dealers for the best price,  I could point you to a few local to me  and in long beach.

As I said, one way is not better than the other, it is a pure personal choice.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 10:18am

shnxx Said:

Which one is good for home use?

Posted September 22, 2013 link

Any of them would be.  It comes down to personal preference.

shnxx Said:

Which is good enough to pair with a GS3?

Posted September 22, 2013 link

Again, preference plays a large role here.  Super Jolly or better is what I'd say as a rule of thumb.  Beyond that, it's up to you to read up, see if you can experience any first hand and then decide based on your specific needs/wants.  Home Barista's titan grinder review covers some of the larger Mazzers, IIRC.
dennisthemenace

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema E61
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 10:25am

Definitely a superjolly and upwards. Buy a Mazzer mini and you could get upgraditis quicker than you think.
shnxx
shnxx

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 9:52am

After doing some reading and talking with a roastmaster, I'm left with more confusion with more choices than I know what to do with.

It seems that my best options are:
Mahlkoenig Vario K30 (~$1450)
Used Mazzer (most likely a Major ~$1100)
Compak K10 Fresh (~$2000)
Compak K10 Pro Barista (~$1500)
Wega 6.8? (~$1500)
Anfim Super Caimano (haven't looked much into this one)
They all seem to have pros and cons.

The K30 is convenient but it's a flat burr.
Mazzers are expensive.
K10s are conical burrs but retain too much grounds and seems like incredible pain in the ass for home use with single dosing.

I realize this is a long list but the issue here is that I don't ever want to have to change grinder again for a long time.

What is a guy to do?

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 10:37am

I understand your frustration.

Did warn you there was not a simple answer to your question ;o(  if there were, everyone on here would have bought it ;o)  

Fact is there doesn't seem to be any single model of grinder on this planet that ticks all the boxes for everyone, so you may have to discard some of the "cons" you've read about which are of least concern to you and work on the "pros" that fit your own personal requirements.  I know it sounds like having to make a "least worst" decision, but grinders of this calibre were never designed with home use in mind, so although they are high quality commercial grade products they will have compromises of some sort if you only want to use them for single dosing.  

Some domestic grinders have come onto the market over the past few years that claim to fit the bill if you want to go in the direction of those sorts of products. I wouldn't, but that's a purely personal choice on my part.  

Currently have a Mazzer Mini-e.  Not in any hurry at all to upgrade, but if I were the Mahlkönig K30 would be high on the list.
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 2:28am

dennisthemenace Said:

Definitely a superjolly and upwards. Buy a Mazzer mini and you could get upgraditis quicker than you think.

Posted September 24, 2013 link

Just wondering how quickly?  I've had my Mini since June 2003 and I've been offered other grinders too. It's still in daily service.

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
dennisthemenace

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema E61
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 11:05am

Quicker than the 10 years you've had yours.

Ian Said:

Just wondering how quickly?  I've had my Mini since June 2003 and I've been offered other grinders too. It's still in daily service.

Ian

Posted September 28, 2013 link

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which Mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303365945816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+