Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just starting out.  Is this on OK grinder?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just starting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Munkee915

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 8:13am
Subject: Just starting out.  Is this on OK grinder?

I got a Bella espresso maker as a gift and would like to start dabbling in espresso.  I'm looking for a grinder on a super small budget.  I'm looking at these 3 but wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them or similar machines being able to grind beans fine enough for espresso.

Click Here (www.bestbuy.com)

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Click Here (www1.macys.com){device}-_-_mkwid_10942104384USA|d{device}_25704003916%7C-%7C10942104384USA

The Cuissential has some good reviews but I cant find much on the Mr Coffee or Krups.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 8:40am
Subject: Re: Just starting out.  Is this on OK grinder?

]]]

Munkee915 Said:

I got a Bella espresso maker as a gift and would like to start dabbling in espresso.  I'm looking for a grinder on a super small budget.  I'm looking at these 3 but wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them or similar machines being able to grind beans fine enough for espresso.

Posted September 16, 2013 link

considering your machine...which is sometimes referred to as a "steam toy" (no, not an affectionate term, sorry)...

Munkee915 Said:

Click Here (www.bestbuy.com)

No, I suspect it operates like the third one you listed

Munkee915 Said:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

probably, since it looks something like a Hario Skerton and it's description says it's a manual ceramic burr grinder (again, considering your machine)

Munkee915 Said:

Click Here (www1.macys.com){device}-_-_mkwid_10942104384USA|d{device}_25704003916%7C-%7C10942104384USA

definitely No!  This is a blade grinder, aka bean hacker, best reserved for grinding spices.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 8:43am

No.

No.

No.

Two of the three models you linked to are blade grinders, aka whirly-gigs.  These do not grind at all, but "chop" and the result is large and uneven sized particles, from dust to "boulders." More so than any other type of preparation, espresso depends upon even grind size.  Only a burr grinder can give you that.

The problem is that burr grinders are more expensive than you seem to be currently budgeting for your grinder purchase -- especially if it's electric!  Your best bet would be to look for a Hario Skerton or a Porlex JP-30.

Now . . . please don't misunderstand:  your Bella is what is commonly referred to as a "steam toy."  It's not a true espresso machine, and doesn't make true espresso by any stretch.  But it is a place to start . . . so the bottom line is "Enjoy!"

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 8:44am

Grat minds think alike!  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Munkee915

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 9:50am

Thanks.  I'm not offended.  I really don't expect pro results from a $30 machine (toy).  But it was free and will save me a trip to starbucks or the corner store every morning.  I've been reading up and realized none of the ground stuff i can find is suitable for espresso and fresh ground tastes better so I wanted to give it a shot without making a huge investment up front.  If the experiment turns out well then I may budget more for a future upgrade.  But in the mean time it's gotta be better than 7-11 coffee right?  Thanks for the help.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 6:07am

I would say that you'd get a better coffee from McDonalds than with that setup. Now, You should just get the Hario Mini Mill. It's great but takes some elbow grease ha.

Yeah. i would try to return that bella and possibly get a DeLonghi EC155. You can modify that to get it to give you something decent. This is assuming you're super cheap as i'd never actually recommend it to someone serious.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 8:06am

Munkee915 Said:

Thanks.  I'm not offended.  I really don't expect pro results from a $30 machine (toy).  But it was free and will save me a trip to starbucks or the corner store every morning.  I've been reading up and realized none of the ground stuff i can find is suitable for espresso and fresh ground tastes better so I wanted to give it a shot without making a huge investment up front.  If the experiment turns out well then I may budget more for a future upgrade.  But in the mean time it's gotta be better than 7-11 coffee right?  Thanks for the help.

Brian, welcome to CG.
I'm sure the members here APPRECIATE your attitude, considering the wee bit of "commentary" regarding your proposed setup! LOL
I do. We'll do our best to get you making the best possible espresso for the best possible price.

That said, perhaps, for now, the manual grinder (they are pretty darn good) and an AeroPress could haver you making great COFFEE.
If, however, you're set on a TRUE espresso, you should see if you can find a used Starbucks/Saeco Athena, or better still a used Gaggia. The first can be found for $75-$100 if in good shape, including a del non pressurized PF. A pressurized PF is what is commonly called a "crema enhancer." No good.
The Gaggia with no 3 way relief (which allows instant removal of the pF after a shot) can often be found for under $200. It has a full 58mm PF, not a necessity, but makes it a wee bit easier to find tampers and such.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just starting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284844875336)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+