Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
I need your help !! Ascaso iSteel 1 or the Lelit pl53 !?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I need your help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 1:08am
Subject: Re: I need your help !! Ascaso iSteel 1 or the Lelit pl53 !?

alanfrew Said:

Jim Schulman did the initial tests, using the Nemox Lux (see Click Here (www.home-barista.com) .) The Lux has the same burrset, carriers and motor as the PL53. I didn't believe it myself, so I set up a blind tasting of the PL53 vs. a Mazzer Mini E and a SJ, La Marzocco machine. While not as good as the SJ, the PL53 definitely gave sweeter, more defined shots than the Mini E.

Alan

Posted September 12, 2013 link

Alan, thanks for that link, and for relating your own taste results.  I'm not sure what to make of Jim's results; but it shows the Lux (PL53) beating the Mini in certain taste factors, and the Super Jolly significantly better than the Mini, and the Rancilio Rocky dead even with the Robur/Kony.  There were a couple grinders that beat the Robur.  I have always believed that it was a matter of personal preference between various categories of grinder, and now, I don't know what to think.  My cautious interpretation is that the PL53 is excellent and the coffee or dose can be changed "according to taste".

I was previously aware that the SJ was significantly better than Mini; but I don't think I saw those particular results before.

After many pages, the thread flames out on an interesting post by Ken Fox on dosing standards.
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 4:41am

MJW Said:

After many pages, the thread flames out on an interesting post by Ken Fox

Posted September 13, 2013 link

And so it goes on H-B... ;-)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:42pm

dana_leighton Said:

And so it goes on H-B... ;-)

In my opinion, Ken is treated very poorly in that thread.  And by the usual cast of characters.  So, in other words I agree with you!

My personal experience is that a lot worse goes on here on CG.  Especially when it comes to off topic posts (of which, sadly, this post is an example).  There is one moderator, Calblacksmith, who frequently posts off topic content, and who generally doesn't seem to have much of a sense of what moderating means.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 2:27pm

I got a Lelit PL53 when they first came out ...now almost 6 years ago.  Intended at the time to be temporary use until my dream grinder was invented... ( a 'home size' titan conical...) and now I am still using the Lelit for daily espresso grind. ( maybe time for new burrs)

This has been a very solid reliable performing grinder for me. Always fluffy clump free grind straight into the basket with no fussing/de-clumping etc.  Very consistent and not fiddly on the grind adjust; I can go weeks with very little to no grind adjustment. (with a consistent blend/bean; roast my own, always fresh)   I think these 2 points alone put it in front for this price class.  

These small trespade burr grinders don't get fanfare here on CG. Honestly, I don't see much correlation between popularity and performance. If I had to make the choice again, I would still choose the lelit.
The other option to get a used commercial grinder is a good one. ( I would skip the rocky and the smaller flat burrs)

Down side as mentioned is the noise, and it has trouble feeding oily beans (not a problem for me...) though this issue may be addressed with the newer hopper.

Good luck with your search and choice.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:07am

Were it my choice -- and for the reasons stated previously -- was limited to choosing between the Ascaso, the Le'lit, or the Rocky, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Le'Lit.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:58pm

MJW Said:

In my opinion, Ken is treated very poorly in that thread.  And by the usual cast of characters.  So, in other words I agree with you!

My personal experience is that a lot worse goes on here on CG.  Especially when it comes to off topic posts (of which, sadly, this post is an example).  There is one moderator, Calblacksmith, who frequently posts off topic content, and who generally doesn't seem to have much of a sense of what moderating means.

I am allowed to have and express points of view, just like you. Often it is a very different point of view than yourself but opposing pooints of view are fine as long as they do not attack anyone.

With the exception of having a little fun and getting it back from people I know (how is that bad?), my posts always are relivent to the topic of the OP or a recent reply in the thread. (this is a good example, I am responding to a recent post in this thread.)

I have taken pains to give you more latitude than others, just because I often have a counter point of view than you.

You have made personal attacks on Jason and myself and rather deleting your post and issuing a strike like anyone else would get, I just posted a warning in the thread that you crossed the line.

Would you prefer that my moderating be the same for you as it is for everyone else? I took the tack I did just so it would not appear as I was harder on you just because we have opposing views.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:23pm

Yes, if I had to make a decision I would choose the PL53 too, especially based on Alan's testing.
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel 1 (54 flat...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 12:15pm

Hey thx all for those reply ! :)

After a week of reading, analyzing and reading again i have my choice : the ascaso isteel 1.
It have a better built quality than the lelit and the flat burr got me too. Its stepless so i dont have to make a mod like the rancilio
Rocky. The hopper is stronger than the lelit and after some reviews the grind os verry consistant and fine.

I think the ascaso is underated vs some grinder at this price range. I dont like the ascaso espresso machine, i must admit, but the
Grinder quality seem to be the best for my Money.

Thx all and i will post some feedback !
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 2:10pm

Ascaso also makes an I-steel with the Trespade conical burr set:

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

I have no experience with this particular grinder but the Burr set is (I believe) the same as the Lelit.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I need your help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.317581176758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+