Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Comandante Hand Grinder - manual coffee grinder
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Comandante Hand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jugtree

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista (aka Saeco...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 w/ Rekrow butane...
Drip: Aeropress Retired: Melita #2...
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 11:12am
Subject: Comandante Hand Grinder - manual coffee grinder

So I have been reading countless reviews and suggestions to build out my office/travel Aeropress kit.  I stumbled across the Comandante Hand Grinder, a German built product that has peaked my interest.  But I can't seem to find anyone online who has experience with this grinder, so thought I'd turn to the seasoned folks at CG, in case someone could shed some light on this interesting new entry to the hand grinder market.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ComandanteGrinder

Quasi review

Thanks!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
jugtree

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista (aka Saeco...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 w/ Rekrow butane...
Drip: Aeropress Retired: Melita #2...
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 11:35am
Subject: Re: Comandante Hand Grinder - manual coffee grinder

I had been meaning to post the above for the past several days, and did so earlier today, without a refreshed Google of what had transpired online since my last search.  There is a thread started over at Home-Barista on the Comandante C40 and C20.  Have a look!  Though I am still interested in a review of it capabilities and perhaps if someone could be good enough to compare it to the likes of a Porlex (or Hario).

Thanks
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 12:36pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! The Comandante website sure is lacking information...like they're relying on the fact it's MIG to sell it (not necessarily a bad concept)...though I haven't seen the FB page.  Also, seems they've just launched, given 1) I haven't heard of it before, 2) it's just now hit both CG and HB at about the same time, 3) the content of the posts in the HB thread, and 4) the webpage has a copyright of 2013.

In the HB thread, they mentioned measuring the I.D. of the outer burr at 29mm, about what I would have expected, given the appearance in one of the website photos (where there were calipers on the bottom of the mill that read about 27mm).  With OE Lido having 38mm conicals, I'd expect it to exhibit better quality shining through in taste comparisons, but I'd sure like to see those results.  Smaller means easier to travel with, especially when taking it on an airplane.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 6:46am

The first few reviews from the two folks on HB that have taken delivery are not very favorable if you plan on using this for espresso.  I'm a bit bummed as I was looking for another small espresso grinder to use at work paired with one of my Creminas.  Guess I'll be cancelling my pre-order for the Comandante and waiting for the Lido v2.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Comandante Hand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204244852066)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+