Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
BARATZA GRINDER SETTINGS RESULTS
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > BARATZA GRINDER...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
osteenjames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 2:47pm
Subject: BARATZA GRINDER SETTINGS RESULTS

Ok. I got my Baratza Vario grinder and my RED BIRD and BLUE JAGUAR coffee.
Note: I was testing with Caribou beans and they would choke Oscar at anything Macro 2 so I had to use Mac 3 micro W result was great Crema and sour coffee.

REDBIRD RESULTS: WOW! what a difference! I adjusted Macro to 2 and have Micro at T and I used about 27 lbs of pressure. Shot came out nice and Carmel 27 seconds probably one micro adjustment to get 30 second. Shot did not taste sour so I immediately made latte and am drinking this one to see how high it will lift me. This espresso definitely has cafe quality and the taste reminded me of chocolate.
I feel my search for the perfect taste is finally satisfied. It appears OSCAR and RED BIRD coffee are a perfect match.
I'm saving BLUE JAGUAR for when RED BIRD coffee runs out. I just got one pound each. I figured if I played with the Caribou coffee enough I would find my ball-park range on the grinder for when good coffee came. It took me 1/2 pound of bad caribou beans (YUK) to find ball-park.
When REDBIRD came I only had to throw out 4 double shots.
If I say anything out of context its because I'm a newbie at making espresso.
Tomorrow, I will begin experimenting with REDBIRD on GAGGIA CLASSIC with PID. Mwaahaha I will be an Espresso Mad-Scientist searching for the perfect grind!
NEXT DAY: RESULTS BELOW
Hello coffeenoobie. Everything you have told me I should have followed to the letter. Well, lesson learned. I appreciate you sharing your wealth of experience with me, it helps me a GREAT deal! First, I should have bought 5 lbs like you said. Im ordering more today. Just like you said you cannot compare REDBIRD to anything except REDBIRD. The student has learned through experimentation...muhhaahaha. That's my mad-scientist laugh.

Today was day 2 experiments with OSCAR.  I'm not experimenting with GAGGIA until later today. I wanted to get more comfortable with OSCAR and new Baratza Vario grinder and the new redbird coffee. I found out like I was told, settings may vary from day to day.
RESULTS of ESPRESSO SHOTS
GRINDER: BARATZA VARIO
SETTINGS: VARY

DAY 1: Dialed in at 2 MACRO and V: Coffee came out in slow at first, then blonded 30 second shot 14 gram basket, 25-27 pounds tamp. Espresso was the best I've tasted; chocolatey.
DAY 2: Had to throw out 4 doubles with same settings as day 1.  I dialed in to 2 MACRO and P MICRO. Shot was a little short at 30 seconds but very tasty not as good as day 1.

These results not being the same makes me appreciate that espresso making is an art to be perfected upon. Dosing, weighing, quality and variety of brand, tamp pressure. I think how much harder this learning experience could be without the help of this wonderful forum.

Im storing my coffee in room temperature inside a food saver air-tight container(I can suck all air out with machine) is this a good method to keep the REDBIRD fresh?
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > BARATZA GRINDER...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.170411109924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+