Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Issues with the rancilio md50
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Issues with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dataoscar
dataoscar
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 8:41pm
Subject: Issues with the rancilio md50

Hello, been a long time lurker of the site and forums.

I own an older(10+ years) MD-50 that until this weekend had been working perfectly. I was getting some inconsistent grinds and wanted to look at the burrs and also do a cleaning.

Disassembled the machine and everything clean, and as I am screwing in the upper burr older I hit a snag and it wont go any further. It seems that maybe the thread has crossed?

I have tried the following:

• Cleaned the threads with a brush
  • Added a little bit of oil
  • Tried over and over turning counter clockwise until I hear the "click", then retrying, and nothing.

The question is, did I truly cross thread? Anything else I may be able to try.

I am thinking of just grabbing a Mazzer SJ, a new one seems to be cheaper nowadays ($600ish) and used ones come around often in the $300 - $400 range here in Seattle.
 View Profile Link to this post
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 11:53am
Subject: Re: Issues with the rancilio md50

I don't know what the issue is but i'd try tp pick up a new (old) mazzer anyway. I also see lots priced reasonably well in the Seattle area.  Just make sure you get a good working one with hopefully new OEM burrs. A lot of the used ones have been used and very abused.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 12:24pm

Hi Oscar,

I'd try chasing out the upper burr carriers female threads with a small sewing needle. That would/should dig out any old crud that may possibly be in there.
If you have a small led flashight to illuminate the internal female threads that would be great.

If that doesn't work, you could chase out the threads with the proper sized bottoming tap. There are three types of taps; taper, plug, & bottoming.

Sorry, I don't know the size of the screws., but Google searching I should come up with it.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 12:39pm

I have not worked on that grinder but can you get to the "other" side of the thread? Does the hole go all the way through and you can see both sides of the screw hole? If you can, take a good screw and screw it in from the other side of the hole, this will reform the threads to be in line with the good ones that would normally be at the "bottom" of the hole.

If you did cross thread them and you can not access the back side of the hole, you are in a tight spot. It will be hard to get the tap to start straight in the hole again, it will want to follow the now, deformed threads. A tapping jig or a drill press would help a lot. If you don't have a tapping jig, (most people dont" then you can put the tap in the chuck of a drill press and put your burr carrier square to the chuck on the table, this will keep the tap square to the carrier. Depending on how much of the threads are messed up, you may or may not need a bottoming tap, sometimes if it is only the start of the hole a starting tap will work better.

If this all has you scratching your head and wondering just what the heck I am talking about. Get out your yellow pages and find a machine shop or a tapping shop and have them fix it for you for a few bucks. They have the tools and the know how to do the job correctly. At the worst, they will need to drill out the hole and install an insert.

EDIT:
If you do use the drill press, DO NOT TURN IT ON! ONLY turn the chuck by hand, WHEW, that was close!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greglepore

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 1:37pm

If you're talking about the carrier itself, I doubt its crossed, you'd almost have to try to crossthread a burr carrier - now a burr screw, that's different :)

Examine carefully-something must be interfering with it-did you remove the burr? If so, is it reinstalled flush? Are you sure something didn't fall into the machine (ie a nut or a screw or something that's causing the burrs to interfere?
dataoscar
dataoscar

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 12:47am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I researched on using a bottom tap, but I think I did a poor job explaining what is going on with the grinder.

Warning: High resolution/bandwidth images.

So the grinder has the bottom part that holds the bottom burr carrier:

Botton Carrier

I then take the top burr carrier ( also threaded ) :

Top Burr Carrier

And try to screw it on, but it only turns 180 degrees:

No Go :(

I am going to try and run a needle through it to ensure its not crud or something not letting it pass. I contacted a local espresso repair shop, but they mentioned that typically when something gets cross threaded, its expensive to replace the part, and that they would most likely have to order directly from Rancilio.
greglepore

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 5:08am

Brass on brass, yeah, I guess you could cross thread that. I'd try a good machine shop to chase the threads if they're in fact crossed, but it's likely a large size metric thread and may present an issue. Its a shame to toss the grinder for that though. Gotta be fixable, question is, as you've already raised, at what cost? Gotta be cheaper than a SJ, even a cheaper used one, unless you really want an SJ and this is an excuse...
dataoscar
dataoscar

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 9:53am

I want my cake and to eat it to =). I need a backup grinder that I can use to make other non-espresso drinks, but for that a smaller grinder would do. The SJ's are nice, and I have been eyeing one for a while.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 7:13am

dataoscar Said:

I am going to try and run a needle through it to ensure its not crud or something not letting it pass.

Posted September 7, 2013 link

Hi Oscar,

It looks to me that I can still see some coffee residue impacted in a couple of spots, & that can be enough to stop the upper burr carrier from screwing down all the way.

After you run a needle around to chase out the threads, you should then use an old toothbrush or similar to brush out the threads spotless.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Issues with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286489963531)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+