Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help my Vario please!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help my Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:19am
Subject: Help my Vario please!

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been on here because my setup has been in stasis. I've actually been drinking Aeropress at work lately, and so my grinder has been on about 3K for weeks. In anticipation for the Labor Day weekend, I ordered some Redbird coffees including my trusty RB Espresso.

Anyway, to the point - my Vario is not grinding fine enough! I cleaned it out (brush, compressed air, shook it, and checked the calibration point and it is still at 1 macro, and midway up the micro scale.

But look at the inconsistent grind that is resulting in 8 second gushers! I've hosted them on my site so you can see the full size image by clicking (warning they are pretty big). These images are taken of grinds at the calibration point (1K on my Vario)

Image 1
Image 2

I can clean it again, but any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
MJJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: Help my Vario please!

Wow, that looks terrible. Or I should say that is nowhere near an espresso grind, more like coarse filter grind.Something has gone wrong with your calibration, first I would check if your top burr is seated correctly, maybe take it out and re-insert it properly. After that I would check the calibration screws, maybe something has come loose. If you use the Allen key tool they provide (or an Allen key that fits the screw for making the calibration finer or coarser) and follow their calibration instructions (on their website and instruction book) you might get it back on track. If that doesn't work then maybe it's the macro-calibration screw that has come loose or something. In which case there are instructions floating around on this site explaining how to calibrate that.
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 1:32pm

I have a Vario for about a year now.  For my espresso grind I have it at 2 on the Macro.  Macro 3 for espresso might be why you are seeing such coarse grinds.  Macro 3 for espresso is too coarse.  I would definitely raise the Macro to 2 (for espresso grind).  Lately I've been have bad gushers on all blends of espresso from various roasters.  I thought it was a blend problem--but it has happened on two reputable roasters' blends.   Normally it is consistent at between Q-S on the Micro & always 2 on the Macro.   Had gushers today on Q on Day 3 Post Roast--so NOT old or stale beans.  If anything, on new beans, I should easily be able to have the Micro on Q-S or even T.  Normally, as the days go by, and the beans get older; I should only have to move it to O at the highest(finest) on the Vario.  I know people say the humidity in the home wreaks havoc on beans & can cause the gushers where you have to really make it fine to get a normal result.  I have recalibrated it twice & cleaned the burrs.   I hope someone else chimes in cuz I'm at my wit's end.
Chanty

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 2:42pm

Seriously before you do anything with the calibration--MACRO 3  doesn't seem right at all for espresso.  I was told it should be on 2!  Try that first, really.
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 5:03pm

His picture, as I understand, is already at 1k...if that's the case then he has a problem (which could be just calibration).
Chanty

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 5:56pm

Me bad.  I should read a little slower.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 8:03pm

Chanty Said:

Me bad.  I should read a little slower.

Posted August 31, 2013 link

Yes. ;>D
It's the coffee.
To the OP...
There are a few things that can cause this, including reasons mentioned above. Sometimes, if the grinder is adjusted finer with beans in the hopper WHEN IT'S NOT RUNNING, beans get trapped between burrs. You said you"brushed it out.
The vario needs a thorough cleaning every month, and every 3rd cleaning, some folks remove the lower burrs 3 screws, clean any goop under there.
Once that is done, I like to run the levers gently up and down several times. If you feel no resistance either way, you're OK. if you should feel some resistance towards the top raising the Macro, you need to spray some compressed air in the groove as you raise and lower the lever. Once the up/down is smooth, reassemble the grinder.
This is where I would perform the calibration procedure with the 2mm calibration tool

Edit..oh yeah, DON'T shake your Vario.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Drip: French press!
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 8:59pm

Thanks for the replies,  I'm just getting back to the computer now.

IMAWriter Said:

Edit..oh yeah, DON'T shake your Vario.

Posted August 31, 2013 link

Rob, what might have gone wrong? I had it upside down a few months ago when I put my replacement faceplate on (per Baratza's instructions, my settings weren't being retained after unplug). And then again to try and make sure there was nothing in it today when cleaning it.

After the cleaning, I ran the grinder empty to move the burrs up to 1W which was going to be my starting point for epsresso, and I went as fine as my calibration "touch point" of 1K for the photo.

Does the grind make a difference with a full hopper versus a handful at a time? I know that the weight of beans can affect going coarser, but what about its ability to grind fine?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help my Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254815101624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+