Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Can't choke my Silvia..............by not so Hung Lo
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't choke my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: Can't choke my

pmaru77 Said:

Baratza service is spot on.  They are truely techies as opposed to sales geeks.  They are swapping out my Preciso....one is already on its way.

Posted August 29, 2013 link

Did they say what they think may be wrong? So weird as the things listed above are really the only things that can cause that, but yours checked out fine... totally odd lol. Very important with the Preciso, make any adjustments (macro or micro) with the motor running, even if empty (I single dose). I found the grinder to not work as well if you make adjustments when no running (and if you have beans in the hopper you'll want to run anyway to avoid jamming like any other grinder). Like even if I move the micro a smidge, I have the power on, for whatever reason when I used to do that w/o it running my results weren't consistent.
 View Profile Link to this post
pmaru77

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 8:31pm
Subject: Re: Can't choke my

CMIN Said:

Did they say what they think may be wrong? So weird as the things listed above are really the only things that can cause that, but yours checked out fine... totally odd lol. Very important with the Preciso, make any adjustments (macro or micro) with the motor running, even if empty (I single dose). I found the grinder to not work as well if you make adjustments when no running (and if you have beans in the hopper you'll want to run anyway to avoid jamming like any other grinder). Like even if I move the micro a smidge, I have the power on, for whatever reason when I used to do that w/o it running my results weren't consistent.

Posted August 29, 2013 link

Agreed on the running the grinder.  I pulse it quick when adjusting so as not to waste too much good beans.  micro adjusting without grinding at the same time will not break anything unless you MACRO adjust.  But the stress between the two grind cones and the beans is there, so if you grind, it removes most stress. And therefore have a better final reading.  SO grind, grind, grind when even micro adjusting.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 9:04pm
Subject: Re: Can't choke my Silvia..............by not so Hung Lo

CMIN Said:

Generally it's 3 things that would cause this, screw not calibrated (yours is), faulty adjustment ring (you said it was fine), or a faulty/cracked burr holder, did you check the burr holder? Baratza will pry just send you a replacement and make sure it's set to espresso as well.

Posted August 28, 2013 link

To the OP:
If, for whatever reason a lot of stress was put on the burr holder, it will crack. It is the ivory colored plastic part that holds the upper burr.
If you haven't sent yours back as yet, remove the upper burr, and see if you see a hairline crack.
They have greatly improved that part.
The crack can be caused by adjusting your grind finer (with beans in the hopper) with the motor off.
The motor must ALWAYS be running when you adjust your grinder finer.

As you at first weren't familiar with the little screw/window thing, perhaps a thorough reading of the short manual, whilst in the bathroom would be a good thing! LOL
Baratza also has links posted on their website showing pictorially how to perform easy repair/replacement jobs.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 9:16pm

I've had the same problem as you. I needed to add shims underneath the bottom burr so it would grind finer. Baratza mailed me the shims but you really have to take the grinder apart to get them in there. It did the trick though. Even with the shims it needed to be at macro 0, 1 or 2. You need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to do this! I was quite frustrated by the whole thing (had to do the same with a Virtuoso too). However now I have a Vario and am happy with it. Maybe Baratza would replace it for you, or shim it for you if you don't want to take it all apart?
pmaru77

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 11:40pm

New machine on the way.  I will double check the first machine, and do a comparison while I have both. My Maestro Plus is 4 years old and I have not screwed up that machine :)  So I don;t think I screwed up this one.  I've done grinds at 5 settings, 0a 10f 20f 30f 40f and there is a nice gradual difference you would expect, so I think the machine works. But the fine just does not choke or pour correctly.

Will report next week on findings.  I suppose I might have to take a lookie at the 3 window thing by taking the machine apart, but only if I have to.

UPDATE: Got new Preciso and tried 8F setting and it gushed.  Tried 4F still too fast, Tried 0A and it choked the machine totally.  So I took it apart and set the 3 window thingie at the finest setting.  So now I'm running on about 3 or 5 depending on beans, and finally using the mirco settings.  Case closed .....for now..........hopefully for a long time.  At least I am getting to understand how this thing is built and will be able to maintain it for a long time, because of great service and parts availability.
pmaru77

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 12:32pm

Updated..see above.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't choke my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259085893631)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+