Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Can't choke my Silvia..............by not so Hung Lo
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't choke my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pmaru77

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 8:22pm
Subject: Can't choke my Silvia..............by not so Hung Lo

This is a month old grinder..........and new to making espresso, so I've been experimenting.  Drinkable shots for lattes...........but on the fringe.

Preciso refurb ..............took it apart and checked if properly assembled and no broker or worn parts.....all looked good.

Took some crappy beans from the supermarket and did a grind at 5 different settings.  0 10 20 39 40

Seemed like it was working ok.  

But at 0 setting and micro at A, my Silvia Lady still poured an ugly shot that started at 4 seconds.  Tried some new beans at max grind and same thing.  What to do?

I have super packed a few too many times to get better results, but what a mess.  I want a normal shot.  Lady Silvia bought used but it's a v3 in great condition.....as far as I know.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 8:51pm
Subject: Re: Can't choke my Silvia..............by not so Hung Lo

pmaru77 Said:

Preciso refurb ..............took it apart and checked if properly assembled and no broker or worn parts.....all looked good.

Posted August 27, 2013 link

Have you read and done the troubleshooting here

https://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/

Which window is the screw in?

Did you call Baratza?

Fresh beans may help.  What dose?  Have you tried bottomless to rule out channeling?

Pressure setting on Silvia?  Even if not 9 bar, you should still be able to choke.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:41am

My screw is set to the fine window and I'm at 8F right now on this bean batch for  16g dose, for reference.  Supermarket beans are stale and poor quality,  you should still be able to choke but won't pull anything resembling espresso you would want to drink lol. Espresso is the pickiest means of making coffee, must have fresh roasted beans, store bought junk with no roast date but a "best by date" or similar run from as fast as possible.
Like above did you check trouble shooting?
pmaru77

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 9:18am

D4F Said:

Have you read and done the troubleshooting here

https://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/

Which window is the screw in?

Did you call Baratza?

Fresh beans may help.  What dose?  Have you tried bottomless to rule out channeling?

Pressure setting on Silvia?  Even if not 9 bar, you should still be able to choke.

Posted August 27, 2013 link

I emailed Baratza and they sent me a link to troubleshoot the assembly.  All parts seem to be ok.

What window is the screw in?  Good  question.  What window?   What screw?

I've been using top quality beans, but pulled out some crap beans for testing purposes.  I'm aware that they are sink shots.  I'm not going to waste $18/lb beans till Iget it straight.

No bottomless.  

I'm going to the local Barista and get some grind off him and go home and test.  He said he would do it.
pmaru77

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 9:21am

CMIN Said:

My screw is set to the fine window and I'm at 8F right now on this bean batch for  16g dose, for reference.  Supermarket beans are stale and poor quality,  you should still be able to choke but won't pull anything resembling espresso you would want to drink lol. Espresso is the pickiest means of making coffee, must have fresh roasted beans, store bought junk with no roast date but a "best by date" or similar run from as fast as possible.
Like above did you check trouble shooting?

Posted August 28, 2013 link

I'm going to have to see what this screw thing is about.....and the window?

As I said, the supermarket beans are for testing only, sink shots.

I have a roaster and have been roasting for 4 years.
pmaru77

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 9:31am

OK I found the set screw/window instructions.  I'm a bit surprized that I would have to go through this disassembly on a new machine.  I suppose the grinder was not set up for espresso?  Well, off to the workshop.  One positive thing out of this is that I will know my grinder a whole lot better than yesterday.  Do you think I could have avoided this if I specified that I was buying the grinder for espresso?

I hope this set screw thing is the answer.  Will report on what I see when I disassemble. Thnx.

UPDATE: BAD NEWS.........the screw is at the finest position.  But the directions do say there are two possible thd'd holes that the screw can go in.
Looks like the other hole would make things worse, if my theory is correct.

So gotta call Baratza.  Should I go with the Vario or does the Preciso have hopes?
CMIN

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:17am

pmaru77 Said:

OK I found the set screw/window instructions.  I'm a bit surprized that I would have to go through this disassembly on a new machine.  I suppose the grinder was not set up for espresso?  Well, off to the workshop.  One positive thing out of this is that I will know my grinder a whole lot better than yesterday.  Do you think I could have avoided this if I specified that I was buying the grinder for espresso?

I hope this set screw thing is the answer.  Will report on what I see when I disassemble. Thnx.

Most likely, when you buy a grinder from them new or refurb you can specify espresso calibrated and they'll set it to the finest hole, otherwise it may come set to neutral (which mine was originally) or coarse. If that doesn't fix it, no clue, the only other thing I could think of is a faulty adjustment ring, but you checked and said it was fine.... so more then likely the grinder may be set to coarse.

edit - just saw your updated reply, I'd call Baratza and talk to them. Generally it's 3 things that would cause this, screw not calibrated (yours is), faulty adjustment ring (you said it was fine), or a faulty/cracked burr holder, did you check the burr holder? Baratza will pry just send you a replacement and make sure it's set to espresso as well.
pmaru77

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:55pm

I pretty much looked for any broken or cracked parts, and did not see anything.  And the grind does change from fine to coarse so it looks like the thing is working somewhat properly, but just will not go fine enuf to clog.   I did get a better shot (longer and not gushing) after reassembly, but that was at zero setting and A micro. (max girnd)  I've contacted the company and will see where we go.  I like the machine as it matches my old Maestro Plus that the wife inhereited. And I'd like to stay with this grinder if it will do the job.  Other option is the Vario, but I've seen a lot on sale on ebay, which to me is not a good sign.  Thanks for the help.
CMIN

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 3:10pm

pmaru77 Said:

I pretty much looked for any broken or cracked parts, and did not see anything.  And the grind does change from fine to coarse so it looks like the thing is working somewhat properly, but just will not go fine enuf to clog.   I did get a better shot (longer and not gushing) after reassembly, but that was at zero setting and A micro. (max girnd)  I've contacted the company and will see where we go.  I like the machine as it matches my old Maestro Plus that the wife inhereited. And I'd like to stay with this grinder if it will do the job.  Other option is the Vario, but I've seen a lot on sale on ebay, which to me is not a good sign.  Thanks for the help.

There's only 1 used Vario on Ebay right now? Sometimes there's like 2-4 if that, but that's nothing vs the amount they sell, all the other listings you see are generally retailers so I wouldn't be worried about Vario. It's a kick ass grinder. You can find more used Mazzers and similar grinders on Ebay, but that doesn't mean their bad. I like my Preciso but I wish I got the Vario instead, gotta love that bigger ceramic flat burr set... mmmm yummy espresso lol

If the burr holder isn't cracked and other things check out like you said (adjustment ring is ok, and screw is set to fine), that's gotta be an anomaly as can't think of anything else that would cause your grind issue. Let us know what Baratza says. I just changed my dose a little bit and pulled a double at 9F on my Preciso. I'm usually between 7-10 Macro depending on the bean/roast type and dose. Only think I ever did is replaced the adjustment ring and set the screw to fine (mine came neutral).
pmaru77

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 12:09pm
Subject: Re: Can't choke my

Baratza service is spot on.  They are truely techies as opposed to sales geeks.  They are swapping out my Preciso....one is already on its way.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't choke my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300169944763)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+