Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Very underrated grinder - the new Nuova Simonelli Mythos
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Very underrated...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 10:59am
Subject: Very underrated grinder - the new Nuova Simonelli Mythos

Just wondering if anyone has seen or used the new model low RPM Mythos? I'm talking about the model without the built in tamper.  It's a commercial machine for sure but it now comes with an even lower and smaller 2 lb hopper and a lower height.  This grinder never impressed me before but the new low rpm model blew me away when I saw it in use at a few local shops.  The grind came out perfectly fluffy and clumpless in a nice little mound into the portafilter  NO WDT/RDT/Stokfleths etc.  

The burr sett is not mounted horizontally like most flat burr grinders and is slanted/vertical.  The biggest improvement was something the shop called a "crumb crusher".  It's basically a newly designed exit chute. I dont know how to explain it but there's practically no retention and the grind comes out exactly the way you would want it to.  

A few high end coffee shops around town have been switching to this grinder and its the first time ever that the local supplier has ever had a shortage of Nuova Simonelli grinders.  

This "crumb crusher" is the difference maker. Apparently it can be retrofitted to older Mythos machines (approx $80) but would need a new burr sett.  Only other difference from the new machine would be the low RPM motor which is also supposed to help as the faster models contribute to the clumping?

My current want list was always the Compak K10 but i am not a fan of dosers lately and i didn't like the Fresh all that much.  I might be considering the Mythos instead now. Compared to the K10 i like the new aesthetics more and my wife and friends would even be able to use it over the dosered Compak.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 3:42pm
Subject: Re: Very underrated grinder - the new Nuova Simonelli Mythos

Wait, are you talking about the nearly $3000 Mythos grinder? I'm sure it's a great grinder. I'm just curious how something that's almost $3000 can be underrated? That's more than the cost of my Vetrano V2B and Mazzer Mini-E Type A put together.
Angman
Angman

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:33am

You are correct although I have been offered a near new demo model for $2K locally.  It is a very pricey grinder especially for home use.  But I just thought that it was underrated in the sense that no one ever talks about it.  The old models were overpriced and poor performing.  The new ones are the same price but provides a fantastic grind.  Disregard the price and I wonder how it compares to the Super Caimano, Robur E, Compak K10 Fresh and PB, Mahlkonig models.  None of those are budget grinders by any means and the Mythos retails higher than all of them I suppose.  Probably not realistic in most home environments if cost is an issue but the footprint is smaller as they now have a low profile hopper, the electronic doserless keeps things clean and its aesthetically pleasing as well.  I just care at whats in the cup and I think this grinder offers an excellent and "effortless" grind.
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 2:15pm

Then maybe "overlooked" is a better term to use than underrated, since your main issue is that no one talks about it as much as others in the same price range.

At $3K it would have to make breakfast and clean up after itself to be considered underrated. Even with it making an "excellent and effortless grind", at $3K I would expect nothing less.
Angman
Angman

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 12:42pm

You are correct. The better term would be overlooked and not underrated.

Having said that I just picked up a HG one with the 83mm burr sett. It is a phenomenal grinder and well worth it's price tag. I am not considering the Mythos at all now.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Very underrated...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208306074142)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+