Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Yang Chia 600N 60mm burr grinder
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Yang Chia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PeterWWbeagle

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 5:59pm
Subject: Re: The Yang Chia 600N 60mm burr grinder

Laowai Said:

Side note: You can use this to grind pretty much anything, not just coffee.  Pretty decent at making rice powder as well.  

Posted August 2, 2013 link

I have a 1950s meat grinder that could be its big brother.  I would be Real concerned that it uses fast blow fuses as its sole  protection.  Clearly not UL/CSA.  EU CENELEC?  if you need to ask.....
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 2:11pm

I've got several of these Taiwan grinders, a Tiamo version of the 600n Flying Horse with upgraded burrs, and a You-Wei Flying Eagle cm-300au. The burrs on the low cost grinders have cast burrs and a few versions have machined Italian burrs. My shop grinder is a Flying Eagle cm-520 with crushing burrs.

I ended up giving the small Flying Eagle grinder away and use the Tiamo in the kitchen for drip. These small grinders are fast, quiet, and DANGEROUS around children. There's no safety interlock to protect small fingers from the spinning bean auger. Taping the bean hopper or cementing it in place might be an option.

Yang-Chia Machine Works LTD is located in Taichung, Taiwan so the Chinese versions may be knock offs.
Laowai

Espresso: Eupa TSK 1819A
Grinder: Feima 600N
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 7:40pm

If it's not dangerous around children, where's the fun?

Also, this machine has a hilarious history.

There is a Japanese version called Fuji Royal R-220, which was copied by Taiwan.  Then China copied the Taiwan model.
But Japan copied the US model, probably the Hobart copy of the AJ Deer (which had been ripped off by Hobart and Holwick).  Ironically, the Deer model is called... the "Royal".

Aaaaand of course, there is the Kitchenaid proline, which is yet another knock off of the same damn design.  And of course, the design is not in anyway imaginative, it's just taking the old store-mill design and slapping a motor onto it.  The only difference between any of them is the burrs and the adjustments.  Both of which, on a decent machine can be swapped and fiddled with without much effort.  Pre-fiddling, yep, sucks for espresso.. post-fiddling, it's incredibly good
 View Profile Link to this post
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 6:36pm

Laowai Said:

If it's not dangerous around children, where's the fun?

Also, this machine has a hilarious history.

There is a Japanese version called Fuji Royal R-220, which was copied by Taiwan.  Then China copied the Taiwan model.
But Japan copied the US model, probably the Hobart copy of the AJ Deer (which had been ripped off by Hobart and Holwick).  Ironically, the Deer model is called... the "Royal".

Aaaaand of course, there is the Kitchenaid proline, which is yet another knock off of the same damn design.  And of course, the design is not in anyway imaginative, it's just taking the old store-mill design and slapping a motor onto it.  The only difference between any of them is the burrs and the adjustments.  Both of which, on a decent machine can be swapped and fiddled with without much effort.  Pre-fiddling, yep, sucks for espresso.. post-fiddling, it's incredibly good

Posted August 6, 2013 link

So these grinders seem to be made by either Tiamo or the Feima?
And Fuji is the original, is that correct?
hankua
hankua

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 10:37pm

OK, first choice is Fuji R-220, then Tiamo, then Feima or You-Wei (both from Taiwan). Big difference is in the burrs, a few might have lower rpm.
Ix

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 8:44pm

I just spotted this grinder locally and I'm interested in it. Is the modification that Laowai posted the only thing we have to do to make this a viable grinder for espresso? It is being sold for cheap, at around $55, so it should be great value if it actually grinds well enough.
hankua
hankua

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:28pm

Sure that's a good deal, but I'm not sure how a limited step grinder could be converted. The burrs have two mounting holes, not three like the espresso variety on Italian machines.
Ix

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 7:37pm

I honestly don't know what you mean by "converting". Is that what Laowai's mod does?
hankua
hankua

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:52am

Laowai most likely is referring to "modding". The burrs supplied with this type of grinder are generally not suitable for espresso. The other problem is there are only 12 steps from 1-6 for grind adjustment. I'm guessing "converting or modding" the adjustment dial to stepless would be necessary as the first step.
Ix

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 7:13am

So I got this grinder. I have no idea if i have the Yang Chia or the Feima, but I'm pulling great shots so I'm happy. This grinder is definitely a steal.

Funny thing is, the dial actually broke itself within a week. I did Laowai's mod, where he says to remove the dial and reposition it so that the auger is extremely close, but not touching the other side. I was initially confused as to what this meant, but I understood it immediately once I tried adjusting the dial. I tried to pull some shots with it and my espresso machine almost choked. After a few shots, I found my ideal grind setting.

A few days later the "spokes" in the dial mechanism broke off while I was asked to grind for drip. I couldn't even dial properly anymore without breaking the other spokes. Eventually, most of the spokes broke, and the grinder has essentially "converted" itself to stepless. It looks hilariously awkward without the fake chrome dial, but it still works perfectly.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Yang Chia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274841070175)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+