Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help with Jericho J500
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mjoe

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 11:54am
Subject: Help with Jericho J500

Hi folks,

I recently inherited a Jericho J500 grinder. Its a nice looking grinder, and from what I have read others seem to like these. It seems to be in good working shape. I am hoping to use it as a dedicated grinder for decaf espresso. However, I am having some problems and I am hoping someone out there can help. I know there isnt a lot of info on these machines out there anymore and  this is slightly different than my Mazzer.

The problem I am having is that I cant seem to get it to grind at a fine setting. This system works on a dial mechanism where the dial pushes the burrs (which are mounted vertically) closer together. Its essentially a screw down style where the dial pushes the front burr closer to the back burr.  However, on the tightest setting it still is grinding coarse. When I took it apart I found that the tension comes from one spring that is mounted on the horizontal drive shaft (thats what I call it) that turns the burrs. My mazzer, for instance, has 3 springs that create that tension. There is also what appears to be a rubber ring that was lodged in the back of the drive shaft. I assume it prevents dust from going back into the motor housing unit.

So, I am thinking that I have one of 3 problems.. but since I dont know how these were originally set up, I am not sure what I am dealing with. One problem may be that the front (it would be top on my Mazzer) burr is not able to engage tightly with the other burr because either the spring is no longer "springy" enough" and wont "give" enough  or because the rubber piece if not set correctly and thus is blocking me from tightening down more.  The rubber piece has never fit entirely flush into the back, though I dont know what the original spec was.  If its the spring, I am not sure how I would even change it out  as it seems to disappear into the engine housing.

One other option is that the burrs themselves are simply worn down. I am not certain how to tell if this is the case. I dont know much about how much previous usage this machine had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some photos, but cant seem to get them to below the 75kb limit the forum has.  I would hate to not be able to use this.
 View Profile Link to this post
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: Help with Jericho J500

Don't know anything about this grinder, but here is some info for you in another thread. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/questions/574894 Maybe that will help some.
mjoe

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:27pm

Thanks a bunch. I saw this thread and I was curious about it was I dont see a way to easily remove and replace the spring. It seems to disappear into the housing of the motor.

I did, however, recently (as in the past few hours) come to realize that there is a fine tuning system built into the dial itself. The face plate comes off and there appears to be a way to adjust the depth at which turning the dial will push forward on the front burr. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that this is what I need to do.
mjoe

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 1:43pm

Additional update.. I was able to fine tune the front plate to "tighten" up the grind. But it is still coming out very coarse. When  running I can slowly turn the front dial to the point that I hear the plates grinding on each other. I assume thats my zero point. However, even  when I grind coffee at that point I get a coarser ground suitable for drip. I wonder if this means that my Burrs are simply dulled and I am unable to grind at the fine level I need?
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 2:29pm

Well, I am new to burr grinders, but the burrs should be sharp to the touch. Also, if you look at the burrs in bright light, you will see a flat/shiny area on the edge of the burr if it is warn.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199522972107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+