Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JScottTuck

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!

IMAWriter Said:

A Rocky is NOT a grinder designed for other than espresso.
Too much mis-infoirmation on this thread, and some truly bizarre and undecipherable postings.

I'll not recommend a grinder, as it will probably be ignored anyway! ;>D

Posted July 16, 2013 link

I ended up going with the Baratza Vario, and I love it so far. I'm eventually going to end up picking up a 2nd grinder to use for drip and press though. Yesterday, I adjusted my settings to a very course grind for press, and when I moved it back to espresso today, I had to run quite a bit of beans through it to get it to "settle" back to the correct grind size. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I'm guessing it is since most recommend having a dedicated grinder for espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:57pm

There are two types of grinders, flat burr and conical burr. Those whirly blade spice grinders should not even be considered as an option for grinding coffee due to the uneven grind, and the inability to control the grind just to touch on the basics.

I am personally getting quite annoyed with CoffeeLoversMag. They continue to give out ignorant and downright bad information obviously to bring attention to their website. Anyone here that's been around awhile I'm sure wouldn't think about subscribing and it won't take long for anyone new to see them for what they are.

This is a case where- whether they're breaking the rules or not- in my opinion a mod should have the discretion to put an end to it. It not only steers new folks in the wrong direction but makes the site as a whole look bad. I really don't understand Marks reasoning for letting things like this continue.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:09pm

JScottTuck Said:

I ended up going with the Baratza Vario, and I love it so far. I'm eventually going to end up picking up a 2nd grinder to use for drip and press though. Yesterday, I adjusted my settings to a very course grind for press, and when I moved it back to espresso today, I had to run quite a bit of beans through it to get it to "settle" back to the correct grind size. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I'm guessing it is since most recommend having a dedicated grinder for espresso.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

Scott, your burrs will need a few #'s of beans through them to break them in."

Also, I assume you ran the grinder when re-adjusting back to espresso? You MUST do this when adjusting finer with beans in the hopper.
It's normal that you'll lose 3-5 grams of coffee in the process. You can just move that Macro up super-fast.
Stop the grinder, and grind about a second and a half. That will clear out the coarser grind, and you should be good to go. Total loss of coffee, about 6-7 grams, less than 1/2 a shot, and you only need 1 grinder. You mighty lose a # of coffee in a year tops, but compared to $100+ for a quality drip grinder, that would be 6-7 years before you'd be even. Your Vario is WAY above a normal drip grinder in quality.
Give the Vario some time, and the back and forth will work even better.

Clean your grinder after the first 5 #'s through it, than after every 10-15 #'s. It takes less than 5 minutes total.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JScottTuck

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 3:45pm

IMAWriter Said:

Scott, your burrs will need a few #'s of beans through them to break them in."

Also, I assume you ran the grinder when re-adjusting back to espresso? You MUST do this when adjusting finer with beans in the hopper.
It's normal that you'll lose 3-5 grams of coffee in the process. You can just move that Macro up super-fast.
Stop the grinder, and grind about a second and a half. That will clear out the coarser grind, and you should be good to go. Total loss of coffee, about 6-7 grams, less than 1/2 a shot, and you only need 1 grinder. You mighty lose a # of coffee in a year tops, but compared to $100+ for a quality drip grinder, that would be 6-7 years before you'd be even. Your Vario is WAY above a normal drip grinder in quality.
Give the Vario some time, and the back and forth will work even better.

Clean your grinder after the first 5 #'s through it, than after every 10-15 #'s. It takes less than 5 minutes total.

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Thanks for all of the information. I did make sure to run the grinder while adjusting. I didn't think about the burrs needing a break-in period, but that makes sense. Thanks for the help!
Elly

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 4:42am

If you are breaking into the grinding market, I would suggest the Encore Grinder.  I have been using this for the last few months, and its grinds are pretty impressive for an espresso.  I use this alongside the Delonghi espresso maker.

It also makes good grinds for a French press which I use when making coffee for larger groups.
This article discusses the Encore in some detail:
Click Here (www.squidoo.com)

For a home grinder, the Encore works well.  If you're a connoisseur, you may prefer the Vario; but it is about 3x the price.

For this price range, you will be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find a better grinder.
jtferraro

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:20pm

JScottTuck Said:

Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up picking up a Vario for $350 (New in the box) off of eBay. I contacted Vario before purchasing, and they seemed good with honoring the warranty for 1 year from the purchase date of the original seller, so I'm still waiting to get that information.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Hi,

Did you purchase your Vario from a seller named 'zoes-stuff'?  Did you ever determine the purchase date, from the original seller?  Can't wait to order my grinder but having a hard time deciding which.

Thanks,

-Jeff
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:40pm

Elly Said:

If you are breaking into the grinding market, I would suggest the Encore Grinder.  I have been using this for the last few months, and its grinds are pretty impressive for an espresso.  I use this alongside the Delonghi espresso maker.

It also makes good grinds for a French press which I use when making coffee for larger groups.
This article discusses the Encore in some detail:
Click Here (www.squidoo.com)

For a home grinder, the Encore works well.  If you're a connoisseur, you may prefer the Vario; but it is about 3x the price.

For this price range, you will be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find a better grinder.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Elly, Welcome to CG.

Which Delonghi are you using and does it have a pressurized portafilter/basket?  In general the Preciso is the lowest price Baratza that will reliable grind fine enough for espresso and have fine enough adjustment to keep in the desired range. A pressurized PF will allow a broader range of grind but produce what is known as fake crema and lower quality espresso.

Please don't take offense, or feel ground on (pun intended), but I would start here

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

at #12 in How to,  Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
PeterWWbeagle

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:17pm

+1 on Fred's comments.  The great thing about pressurized PF's is that even a $10 whirly jig grinder is fine.  

Tried to buy a virtuoso baratza for a gift, three orders and three broken machines from Amazon.   and now I read so many threads about people on third fourth or fifth machine.

best part of this thread could be that it stresses you must spend real money to get a real grinder.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Elly

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 3:49am

Hi D4F

I use the EC155.  It does come with a pressurized PF.  No doubt, I would imagine the Vario produces a much higher quality of grind - hence the price difference.  Yet, the difference in the grind range does not appear that big.  
IE: The grind range for the Encore starts from 250, and 230 for the Vario.

I see what you are saying, but I'd have to try an espresso first hand from a Vario to justify the difference in price.

Anyway for now, I'll head back to my Encore to enjoy my cuppa - "fake crema" and the rest ...
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 5:08am

Elly Said:

Hi D4F

I use the EC155.  It does come with a pressurized PF.  No doubt, I would imagine the Vario produces a much higher quality of grind - hence the price difference.  Yet, the difference in the grind range does not appear that big.  
IE: The grind range for the Encore starts from 250, and 230 for the Vario.

I see what you are saying, but I'd have to try an espresso first hand from a Vario to justify the difference in price.

Anyway for now, I'll head back to my Encore to enjoy my cuppa - "fake crema" and the rest ...

Posted July 25, 2013 link

Encore is a good grinder for coarse use, and only for espresso machines with pressurized portafilters. Not even remotley comparable or capable for real espresso grinding like the Preciso or Vario. Vario especially has a large ceramic flat burr and competes against grinders like the Super Jolley or Compak K6 etc as far as taste in cup. Not sure what you mean by the grind range, the Encore has wide limited steps, the other rwo act like stepless grinders which is what you need with real portafilters and machines to dial in vs a wide stepped grinder where one click could be a 5 second gusher and one click other way could choke machine out.

The pressurized portafters in low end machines (no offense meant I had a Bar32 same internally as the EC155) helps to negate not having a good grinder, or if your using preground or stale beans etc. The pressure clip forces water through a tiny hole which makes fake crema (like turning a hose on flowing and then sticking your finger over the end making it spray harder) and taste almost more like a shot of drip not espresso. You can mod them though by removing the pressure assembly or putting in a new krups normal basket etc.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334160089493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+