Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 1:56am
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit

IMAWriter Said:

"Cross-posting" is not allowed on CG, and your post will hopefully be moderated as such.
"No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum."

This (the above quote)is posted at the bottom of every forum page

Posted July 21, 2013 link

Please email a moderator if you have any concerns about a particular post.

Thanks

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 5:29am

CarloM Said:

I don't. I only know there were quite a few complaints about the Preciso, including with my reseller who said he'd heard from his colleagues about similar complaints from other customers regarding this make and model.

If there aren't a lot of threads about the Vario, that might be a safer model. But even when the Preciso wasn't out-of-spec, it's "best" grind didn't compare with the Mazzer Mini. So if the Vario uses a similar grind mechanism and burr, I'd counsel stepping up to a Mazzer or similar higher-end machine.

Posted July 18, 2013 link

ehhhh the Vario has a ceramic flat burr, and quite noticeably outperforms the Mazzer Mini in grind quality, taste, and retention (which is almost 0), goes toe to toe with the grinders in the class above.

Far as the Preciso, there are many with no issues and some whom somehow have gone through mutilple units, not sure why. I replaced my adjustment ring and that was it, been running perfect since. Wonder if they had a batch of bad adjustment rings that was fixed.
PeterWWbeagle

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 11:19am

Rhinoevans Said:

I have been looking for a new grinder.  Read all the post on these grinders, and actually seemed to good to be true for the price.  I guess you get what you pay for.  My Rocky Doserless is 9 years old.  Still runs great and never had a problem.  In fact I have never replaced the burr set.  Just ordered a new set yesterday after reading most people replace after 2 years.  Mine still grinds great espresso. Maybe I wasted $30.  Will be interesting to see difference in new burr set.  Guess I will pass on these Baratza grinders. Great CS is not enough for me.  Just like the Breville DB, on paper great machine, CS outstanding from what I hear, but product reliability not so great.   Getting a quick replacement unit is not my idea of a good deal, just to save a few bucks on the purchase price.  JMHO

Posted July 11, 2013 link

Mike:  would like to hear your thoughts on the new burrs.  I have read many posts that say LOTS of Non-OEM, after market crappy burrs are out there.  I know CCS only sells direct OEM burrs.  i have never seen OEM factory Rocky burrs for less than $36.

One post told of a guy with a ten year old SJ.  Replaced the burrs and the grind was FAR worse.   There is another thread on Grinders where some one replaced the burrs on his Rocky and it will not now grind fine.  

A bararista client of mine told me how he knows when to change burrs. When cleaning the burrs/grinder, he runs his fingernail across them.  if the burrs are rounded, they do not cut into the finger nail. If sharp, they do.

Way off topic, sorry.

But to your real point: great CS does not make for a questionable product.  I have seen so many posts of people with 3, 4 or 5 Baratza's with 6 months.  I have never seen anyone post about sending back a Mazzer, Macap, Amfin, NS.  That even goes for a Rocky DL. I admit, the Rocky is NOT the dogs' bollocks of grinders, but it runs and runs, consistently.  

Months ago, before i knew about CG, i bought a Preciso new off Amazon. It came with no switch knob!!  I was amazed.  I seached the internet to see if my experience was unusual.  In my search, I found CG.  So, thank you Baratza for driving me to find CG.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 12:11pm

Funny thing Peter, your post reminded me that my first Preciso unit had the timer knob...but it wouldn't fit. Baratza sent me another one separately which did fit better (though it was still too tight and I felt that the amount of force I had to use to put it on, along with the internal flexing it caused, was not a good thing).

I completely agree with your assessment, Baratza's customer service was top notch...but I shouldn't have had to use it as often as I did. And while yes there are plenty of people happy with their Precisos, I can tell you not just from posts in here and home-barista, but in talking with my reseller, that there are quite a few who were experiencing problems with the Preciso.

I can also tell you (Peter) that the 33M official Mazzer burr that CCS sold me is razor sharp, and performs like a champ. Cut my grind time in half and very uniform grind with barely any "dust" (which even when it was working my Preciso constantly gave me in abundance).
PeterWWbeagle

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 1:46pm

Carlo, I guess the good thing about Baratza is that they use some of the massive margins from Chinese manufacturing for CS.   as opposed to, say Walmart.  

I own part of a hi fi company.  Tried manufacturing in China for years.  lured by the easy money, to paraphrase Don H.  now, we only buy small sub circuits from China,  retest every circuit in the US, assembly in the US.  total cost of manufacturing in the US was 33% greater but net profit from US assembly was up 10%.   When product was made in US, we needed one less full time CS agent, no more warehouse of b stock units and customer approval ratings much higher.  I know exactly what Baratza is going through.  

I am really glad the oem burrs you got from Chris are great.  Confirms my belief that oem is the only way to go for the most important part in the grinder.  thanks for sharing that.

after my fiasco with baratza, and finding CG,  I felt confident to buy a used Super Jolly.  I knew there were good people on this forum to help if i needed it.  and I knew I was getting a machine of unquestioned integrity.  I am thrilled with the new to me SJ.  had a blast cleaning it.  even opened it up and drooled over the Swiss wiring.  The burrs were sharp, but now Carlo, you have me thinking about news ones from Chris.
CarloM

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 4:04pm

Before you spend money on new SJ burrs from Chris, keep in mind I put the SJ burrs on my Mini-E, so I replaced Mini-E burrs and that's why the grind time was reduced in half.

If you're replacing semi-worn SJ burrs with new SJ burrs, I don't think you'll have the same dramatic difference since you're going from like to like. The Mini-E burrs were toothed differently, and were designed for a smaller, less powerful motor. But in my several-day experience the Mini-E is having no issues driving the SJ burrs at all. And like you, when I opened up my Mini-E I was amazed at the size of the motor and power supply. Very robust for a home machine.
PeterWWbeagle

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:16pm

Thanks Carlo - I did not fully follow - my error.  Still, don't you love it when a mod actually works great?  

I have seen several posts from people with Minis going to SJ burrs, all have enjoyed the change and i have seen no reports of problems. While i am sure it puts a little bit more load on the motor, Mazzer'sare so overbuilt and built for commercial duty cycles. The SJ is 1/3 hp and factory rated for 50% duty cycle - hard to imagine anyone grinding for 30 minutes  non stop.   Most consumer grade devices are built for a 10% duty cycle.  I have seen as low as 5%.  

My guess is that the factory burrs for the Mini-E are also designed for its motor when used/tested/rated as a commercial EU device that needs a massive duty cycle, like 50%.  I surmise that most here on CG want fresh ground, so we grind for each shot or two: 20 second grinding, 5-10 or +++ minutes off.  Clearly the Mini-E has the necessary hp for the bigger burrs and as long as the duty cycle is kept short, all should be fine.   In other words, I might be concerned using a Mini-E with large burrs for a busy, 2 group espresso machine on a busy cart pulling 150 shots/hour.   EU electrical guidelines are onerous for a manufacturer and far exceed what have in the US, CA, voluntary groups like UL - CSA.  

sorry to rag on - i have deal with this crap a lot in work.  As a consumer of EU products though, its great.
CarloM

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 7:29pm

No worries Peter, I follow ya. Luckily my normal workload is 2-3 double shots a day, spaced hours apart. At worst, I'll be entertaining friends for dinner and will need to pull 4 double shots within 15 minutes (I have a Silvia which doesn't allow me to make drinks quickly). So I think I'm well within the limits of the Mini-E being able to handle the SJ burrs. :)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264002084732)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+