Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Preciso grinding issue
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Stephany

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 1:32pm
Subject: Preciso grinding issue

Hi everyone,
    I am happily getting used to my QM Silvano. After a few months of use, I have perfected my frothing(hooray!) with both milk and soy milk. However, I am still working on the shots. I believe the issue is my grind, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Background: the beans are from a local roaster, roasted within the week. I believe I have the correct grind--any finer and it comes through the basket, and coarser and it gushes. In working on my shot, I got a scale and have found a weight that seems to tamp down well, not too high or low in the basket.

For precision's sake, I weigh the beans and put them in the hopper before grinding them. At the end of the beans, the grind becomes crazily inconsistent, with what looks like pieces of bean peels in it.

I have cleaned my grinder, and after several attempts and some errors and looking at the website, I have put it back tougher correctly. (Learning curve!)

So, is my inconsistent grind because the grinder is grinding the last of the beans in its hopper? If so, how should I remedy this? Or could it be the beans themselves? (Do I have a bum roaster?) or is it something else I am overlooking or need to tweak?

On my pulls, it usually starts out like it should (starts out after 5 or so seconds, rat-tailish), but then gushes out, with short-lasting, thin crema. This seems to point (from everything I've read) to the inconsistent grind. I have checked my machines pressure and its she it Sophocles be.

Thanks for your help!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 2:03pm
Subject: Re: Preciso grinding issue

Hi Stephany,
 Sorry to hear of your problems. The first thing I would check is whether you've somehow damaged one or more of the three tabs on the upper burr holder. I've learned from experience on my Virtuoso- which uses the same burr holder, that while they hold up good under normal circumstances, they can be damaged rather easily in assembly/disassembly if you're not careful of them. They are also the first thing damaged if you were to adjust finer with beans in without running the grinder. The good news is they're inexpensive ($4.00 + shipping) and they would probably send you a new one no charge if you called Collen at Baratza since you just bought the grinder. To check just remove the hopper and lift out the burr/holder and you should see three small tabs around the outside of the holder. You can find a picture in the parts section of their website if you're not sure.

If that looks all good please report back, but I would give Collen a call at Baratza CS. in the morning as well.
                                                                                                              Ron
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 3:17pm

It could be that (upper burr holder as mentioned) the adjustment ring. Can you get a picture of the grinds though to show on here? I single dose my Preciso and it rocks for that, so it wouldn't be an issue with the last beans. If you opened the grinder up do you know what it was calibrated too (theres a slot that'll say coarse/neutral/fine, and what macro/micro setting are you using and how many grams are you dosing?

Also it could be channeling from what you described. Try to wdt with a needle (basically just stirring around a needles in small circles) and if your twisting/polishing the puck don't,  or do it very slightly with barely touching the tamper.

If all thats fine and you wdt and still have issues and your grinder is within normal macro settings, possible its the roaster. Plenty of roasters don't really know what their doing lol.
sherpakid

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 2:31pm

Stephany - It definitely sounds like your adjustment ring needs fixing. I had the same issue and just recently got mine fixed. I put in a new adjustment ring. You should make sure your adjustment ring base is glued down to the gearbox - if it's not, it can lead to the inconsistent grinding that you mentioned and hence gushers.

Trouble shooting - Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Adjustment Ring - Click Here (www.baratza.com) .

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 7:59pm

I heard about the problem with the adjustment ring needing to be glued down on the early Precisos. They have fixed the problem now but it is possible if you got one that was on the shelf for awhile it could need the fix. You may be able to give Baratza the serial # and find out whether it needs it or not if you don't want to pull it apart yourself to check.

Haven't heard back from you Stephany, have you figured it out? Glad to hear you got the frothing down, I've recently started using less milk (just what I need for one capp) and feel like I'm starting all over again.
Stephany

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 7:44am

I pulled it apart before to clean it and put it back together incorrectly. I used the baratza tutorial to do it correctly. Now it's acting up again. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet. Fortunately, we use it mostly for Capps and the are still way better than most coffee shops.

I'm having a big dinner party tonight so I'm pretty busy. If I get a chance I'll see what I can do because it would be great to fix this issue before tonight. I'm also going to try the other roaster in town just to compare. We're having chilled blueberry soup, penne with pesto, rosemary leg of lamb rotisseried on the grill, arugula salad with lemon and shaved Parmesan (straight from Italy!), and profiteroles for dessert, with wine pairings. Hopefully no one will notice the "off" espresso?? "Would anyone like more wine?"

PS: forum doesn't like my photos...too many kilobytes. Sorry!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:04am

Do you see what it was calibrated to, if so what coarse/neutral/fine? And also how many grams of beans are you dosing?

I'm still going to say it's most likely the adjustment ring, mine was the updated glued down one, but I replaced it and the grinder has worked perfect since, I have mine calibrated to fine and it's always in the 7-10 Macro range depending on dose and bean/roast type. Did you check the upper burr holder, you can just pull it out and look at it and will see if there's any obvious cracks etc
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:38am

Not saying this is what is happening to you, but there are definite QC issues with the Preciso. I bought my first one 18 months ago and the grind started drifting, me needing to turn it finer and finer to maintain an espresso grind until there were no more adjustments left. I never adjusted the grind unless the grinder was grinding. Contacted Baratza and was told that they changed calibration methods and cross-shipped a new one to me (so major points for customer service).

Over the course of several months the *exact same thing* happened. Talked to Baratza again. Was told they started gluing down adjustment ring (which others here have mentioned). Cross-shipped me a third one (again, major CS points).

Guess what. On my third Preciso, this time with the glued down adjustment ring. Same thing. So rather than get a fourth cross-shipped to me, I just contacted the place I bought it from who offered me a full credit towards a new grinder, and I bought a Mazzer Mini-E. I've never looked back. The grind quality and consistency are heads and shoulders above the Preciso. Yes going from $300 to a $700 grinder (whether it's the Mini-E or another comparable make/model) is steep. But in that price range and higher, it is likely "the last grinder you'll ever need" with only burr replacements in your future (and maybe motor replacement if you keep it long enough).

Just my own experience and advice, for you to take or leave.
Stephany

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 5:03am

Okay; everything looks good to my eye. I'll have to give CS a try, glad to hear it should be a pleasant experience.
Stephany

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 11:08am

So I ended up getting a replacement refurb preciso just the other day (delays for vacation...yay!)
    I ground for two dbl shots. Grind was perfect...my shots were amazing...best i ever pulled. I've had all summer to work on them and I think I'm doing all right in that department. Even my husband could tell the difference.
    THEN...the next morning I went to grind and I single doses the grinder. I got some inconsistent flecks in the grind, middling quality shot. This morning I didn't single dose it, but the grind was inconsistent, not quite as bad as before, but I could clearly discern particle size difference. Am I doing something wrong? I never adjust without grinding. I am getting frustrated because now I know how awesome the shots can be and this is holding me back. My first two the other morning were like candy. Help me, espresso gods!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269827127457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+