Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 8:49pm
Subject: Re: I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!

emradguy Said:

That link took me to some places in Lebanon, Ohio, but I'm pretty sure he's in Lebanon, Tennessee. Anyhow, I'm more interested in getting a decent cup of spro near my friend's house than sourcing beans, since I typically only visit for a few days. Though, maybe my friend would be interested if the roaster is very close to him.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

ahh crap your right, I thought he was in Ohio, not TN lol
 View Profile Link to this post
JScottTuck

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 8:51pm

emradguy Said:

Where do you go for coffee in Lebanon? I have a good friend there who I visit almost annually, and he has never had any idea where to take me. Thanks to "IMAWriter", I learned about Barista Parlor, in Nashville befor my last visit...but, iirc, they use Stumptown beans, and that doesn't fit your sourcing description. Also, I think BP carries Baratza grinders, if you need a local source...and their spro is fantastic! They have a Slayer and know how to use it.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

It's a new place called Cafe Bevande. They just opened back in March or so. It's a small shop, husband and wife owned. I usually go in 3 or 4 times a week. Prices are very reasonable, and if you want to get food along with your coffee, they do some breakfast items, and lunch sandwiches. They bake their bread for the sandwiches in store daily, so everything is nice and fresh.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Bevande/545754718787021?fref=ts
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 7:08am

sweet thanks!  I'll pass that along to my friend.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
javanj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Coffee, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rocky & Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta pour over & Gevalia...
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:27pm

I've had a gently modified Rocky and remain content. My espresso intake is much less than a few years ago since having a high preassure job and acquiring GERD. Am interested in the comments re Preciso or Vario and will check the grinders  out. Espresso / coffee technology is constantly evolving. If I saved all my machines, pour-overs, Toddy-like extractors, Aeropress and grinders I could open a museum.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:07am

Learn the basic grinder!

There are two types of known coffee grinders, the burr grinder and the blade grinder. Working with strict budget, you may choose the blade grinders either manual or electric. However, it may burn or over brew the coffee. The burr coffee grinder is more expensive; but you can regulate the heat and avoid coffee to burn before brewing. The bottom line is - if you try to be economical the better, but it is good if your grinder does not burn the coffee.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 9:11am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Learn the basic grinder!

There are two types of known coffee grinders, the burr grinder and the blade grinder. Working with strict budget, you may choose the blade grinders either manual or electric. However, it may burn or over brew the coffee. The burr coffee grinder is more expensive; but you can regulate the heat and avoid coffee to burn before brewing. The bottom line is - if you try to be economical the better, but it is good if your grinder does not burn the coffee.

Posted July 15, 2013 link

blade grinder?  you're not actually proposing anyone use this for coffee...are you?  Heck, I'd be hard pressed to actually call it a grinder of any sort...more like a bean hacker.  The particle uniformity is sorely lacking, making for extremely diffuse degrees of extraction throughout the bed - most profoundly noticeable when trying to make espresso...which is what this thread is all about.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out who that post was supposed to be directed towards...but in essence, you seem to have just recommended a blade grinder for espresso when on a tight budget.  For anyone reading this, I would highly recommend that advice be discarded.

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:29am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Learn the basic grinder!

Posted July 15, 2013 link

Huh?!?! I don't know what it is, but all your post almost never really make sense, get your trying to promote your blog, but a lot of the times your post just sorta "blabble". I mean this post doesn't even make sense, "if you try to be economical the better"... what lol?!?!

Why would you even recommend a blade grinder for espresso? BTW he bought a Vario ;)

emradguy Said:

blade grinder?  you're not actually proposing anyone use this for coffee...are you?  Heck, I'd be hard pressed to actually call it a grinder of any sort...more like a bean hacker.  The particle uniformity is sorely lacking, making for extremely diffuse degrees of extraction throughout the bed - most profoundly noticeable when trying to make espresso...which is what this thread is all about.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out who that post was supposed to be directed towards...but in essence, you seem to have just recommended a blade grinder for espresso when on a tight budget.  For anyone reading this, I would highly recommend that advice be discarded.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

I don't know if it's a language barrier, or just promoting the blog (hey that's fine), but his post just always sound... odd.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:48pm

CMIN Said:

Huh?!?! I don't know what it is, but all your post almost never really make sense, get your trying to promote your blog, but a lot of the times your post just sorta "blabble". I mean this post doesn't even make sense, "if you try to be economical the better"... what lol?!?!

I don't know if it's a language barrier, or just promoting the blog (hey that's fine), but his post just always sound... odd.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

completely agree! ;-)

IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 3:34pm

emradguy Said:

Where do you go for coffee in Lebanon? I have a good friend there who I visit almost annually, and he has never had any idea where to take me. Thanks to "IMAWriter", I learned about Barista Parlor, in Nashville befor my last visit...but, iirc, they use Stumptown beans, and that doesn't fit your sourcing description. Also, I think BP carries Baratza grinders, if you need a local source...and their spro is fantastic! They have a Slayer and know how to use it.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Actually, at any one time they can prepare coffee from 3 different SO's (occasionally a blend sneaks in) from 3 different roasters. They change the selections about every 2-3 weeks, I'd guess.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 3:38pm

javanj Said:

Rocky

Posted June 30, 2013 link

A Rocky is NOT a grinder designed for other than espresso.
Too much mis-infoirmation on this thread, and some truly bizarre and undecipherable postings.

I'll not recommend a grinder, as it will probably be ignored anyway! ;>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384485960007)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+