Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario reliability?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JakiChan

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 10:08am
Subject: Vario reliability?

I'm interesting in purchasing a Vario to go with a new machine, but two places I've talked to, including CCS and a local shop, have told me that they see a lot of Varios coming back for service, more than they think they should  I guess Baratza stands behind it fine, but it's concerning that it has issues in the first place.  The reputation of this grinder seems pretty high, but I'm concerned on that feedback from places that sell them.  

What have the Coffee Cognoscenti to say about the reliability of the Vario?
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 10:31am
Subject: Re: Vario reliability?

I can't speak to the long term reliability, but my Vario died in the first week after purchase.  Replacement was easy and cost me $0 for shipping.  Replacement, a brand new unit, has been working great.

I like the grinder, but would recommend a cheaper standby grinder on hand too.  (I've got an old La Pavoni PGC for backup.)
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 11:11am

JakiChan Said:

What have the Coffee Cognoscenti to say about the reliability of the Vario?

Posted July 12, 2013 link

Apparently, fantastic customer service dealing with the faults on the grinders. Thousands of posts on forums to attest to this fact. Customer service you have not heard the like of from any other grinder manufacturer e.g. Mazzer....simply never really read anything about their customer service, but hearing all the time about Baratzas with the Vario and how good it is at resolving the faults, supply replacement parts, or indeed new grinders..

I suppose I can't emphasise how important (and great) it is to have this level of backup with a grinder like the Vario. I mean it might concern you to buy a Mazzer or other reputable make of grinder, because you simply don't get all the enthusiastic forum posts about how well the problems were solved and how great mazzers customer service is.

So really you got to make your own mind up....what do you think?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 3:08pm

DavecUK Said:

Apparently, fantastic customer service dealing with the faults on the grinders. Thousands of posts on forums to attest to this fact. Customer service you have not heard the like of from any other grinder manufacturer e.g. Mazzer....simply never really read anything about their customer service, but hearing all the time about Baratzas with the Vario and how good it is at resolving the faults, supply replacement parts, or indeed new grinders..

I suppose I can't emphasise how important (and great) it is to have this level of backup with a grinder like the Vario. I mean it might concern you to buy a Mazzer or other reputable make of grinder, because you simply don't get all the enthusiastic forum posts about how well the problems were solved and how great mazzers customer service is.

I'm sure you'll remember this, Dave

Mazzer may have somewhere similar :o)

click here

Given a choice of the 2, I know which brand of grinder I'd buy (unless we include the proper commercial Mahlkoenig grinders with confusingly similar names.)
JakiChan

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 3:39pm

Well, CCS is offering (with the Anita I want to purchase) a Compak K3 for the same price.  And they say they've seen a lot fewer problems....
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 7:02pm

__________ Said:

I'm sure you'll remember this, Dave

Mazzer may have somewhere similar :o)

click here

Given a choice of the 2, I know which brand of grinder I'd buy (unless we include the proper commercial Mahlkoenig grinders with confusingly similar names.)

Exactly :)
JakiChan

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:13am

DavecUK Said:

It seems to be a choice between better performance/features and reliability. I don't see folks raving about the K3 like they do the Vario - the owners thread is very quiet. But in the Vario thread I read about shim kits and whatnot. It's a hard decision. I also like the smaller size of the Vario. I'm sure either will do a great job - I'm just trying to see if I can figure out which one is best for me before buying.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:26am

JakiChan Said:

It seems to be a choice between better performance/features and reliability. I don't see folks raving about the K3 like they do the Vario - the owners thread is very quiet. But in the Vario thread I read about shim kits and whatnot. It's a hard decision. I also like the smaller size of the Vario. I'm sure either will do a great job - I'm just trying to see if I can figure out which one is best for me before buying.

Posted July 13, 2013 link

Oh, you believe the Vario performs better...wow, why is that, because all the owners say so? Below is a link to a review I did when the Vario first came out, so it's over 3 years old.

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 11:51am

DavecUK Said:

Oh, you believe the Vario performs better...wow, why is that, because all the owners say so? Below is a link to a review I did when the Vario first came out, so it's over 3 years old.

Hi Dave, your review was interesting indeed. I've been considering going over to a Vario- for one reason- to put an end to pre-weighing and be able to walk up and push a button and start the grinding. With the grind retention on my K-6 I couldn't do that effectively even if I added a digital timer. So your review left me with the question- have you tried the Vario with steel burrs and if so what did you think?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:25pm

DavecUK Said:

kinda goes against what owners of both (or all?) grinders mentioned there. Maybe a flawed early one? I mean you have owners of Super Jolleys and Vario that say they taste the same/similar and SJ is def above those other grinders. Buddy has a Macap MC4 and Vario and Vario def out edges the Macap in cup taste, and Mazzer Mini when we compared. Grinds are so fluffy too and almost no/little retention. I've used the Eureka as almost bought one by me that had new burrs but didn't care for it, not bad or anything.

Coffeeron - steel burrs are option for coarse use, I think you loose espresso grinding if you swap for them
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327970027924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+