Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Can't remove crank from Zass grinder. Suggestions?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't remove...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
The_Smith

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 3:41pm
Subject: Can't remove crank from Zass grinder. Suggestions?

Hello,
I spent a half-hour googling info, but couldn't find anything.  i want to remove the  top nut and crank assembly so I can apply some teflon tape  (to stop some drifting during the grind) to the threads. Got the top nut off, but for the life of me, i can't get the crank off.  I can't find purchase with a wrench anywhere to keep the shaft from spinning with the crank.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 5:27pm
Subject: Re: Can't remove crank from Zass grinder. Suggestions?

I've never worked on these myself, but I know that Orphan Espresso has refurbished a lot of them.  In fact, they used to sell restored ones.  I would think they'd be able (and probably willing) to help you over the phone.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 5:52pm

The_Smith Said:

Hello,
I spent a half-hour googling info, but couldn't find anything.  i want to remove the  top nut and crank assembly so I can apply some teflon tape  (to stop some drifting during the grind) to the threads. Got the top nut off, but for the life of me, i can't get the crank off.  I can't find purchase with a wrench anywhere to keep the shaft from spinning with the crank.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Posted July 9, 2013 link

What model zass do you have?  When was its manufacture date?

Important questions to ask before advice can be provided.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
The_Smith

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:24pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

What model zass do you have?  When was its manufacture date?

Important questions to ask before advice can be provided.

Len

Posted July 9, 2013 link

They used to go by a # (150 something?) now I belive the model is called the Brasilia.  Sweet Marias calls it the Box Mill model.  I bought it about 3 years ago, right after they started back up with production again.

The_Smith: Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 6.24.07 PM.png
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 8:29pm

The_Smith Said:

They used to go by a # (150 something?) now I belive the model is called the Brasilia.  Sweet Marias calls it the Box Mill model.  I bought it about 3 years ago, right after they started back up with production again.

Posted July 9, 2013 link

Thanks for letting me know.  To take the handle off first take off the very top nut.  Now open the top bean entry door; you will see a shaft that goes down into the conical grinder.  Grab that shaft with a pair of pliers (held in your left hand) and hold very tightly as you turn the handle (using your right hand) to the left.  It will be a bit tough to loosen at first, however keep your grip firm on the pliers so that the shaft does not turn.  Keep turning the handle to the left and it will unscrew and come off.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
The_Smith

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 11:05pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Thanks for letting me know.  To take the handle off first take off the very top nut.  Now open the top bean entry door; you will see a shaft that goes down into the conical grinder.  Grab that shaft with a pair of pliers (held in your left hand) and hold very tightly as you turn the handle (using your right hand) to the left.  It will be a bit tough to loosen at first, however keep your grip firm on the pliers so that the shaft does not turn.  Keep turning the handle to the left and it will unscrew and come off.

Len

Posted July 9, 2013 link

^Thanks!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:53am

The_Smith Said:

^Thanks!

Posted July 9, 2013 link

Did that work for you?

Len

The_Smith

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:23pm

Yes, that worked.  Thanks again.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:44pm

The_Smith Said:

Yes, that worked.  Thanks again.

Posted July 10, 2013 link

Excellent.  Anytime.

Len

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Can't remove...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341302156448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+